The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > New But Already Posted

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by April (last edited Jun 20, 2008 08:24PM) (new)

April (escapegal) | 130 comments Hi gang! I have already posted in some threads, but wanted to formally introduce myself: I am a college student with a full-time job, so I don't get on this site as much as I'd like; I also don't have as much time to read as I'd like (other than textbooks) but I'm glad to be in this group so I can at least read "vicariously"--now I HAVE to get off this site and go to bed so I can get up in time for school tomorrow!!

message 2: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Hi April and welcome! I too am in school and have a job and am a parent...trust me, you will find time. I was getting so burnt out on reading school stuff that I made a deal with myself long ago that nothing school related was allowed in my bedroom, so that is where I do a lot of my out of school reading. However, I also like to use it as a great task avoidance tool...it is much more enjoyable than cleaning the bathroom to get out of writing or reading or whatever! Good luck in school and happy reading!

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen | 278 comments Stacie, that's a great way to do it. I applaud all of you that find the time to read for pleasure when you're in school. I always felt guilty knowing that there was something else that I had to read.

message 4: by Mona (new)

Mona | 52 comments Welcome April! :) Good luck in school!

message 5: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10125 comments Mod
Hey April, thanks for joining and participating here! I find sometimes that these threads are a bit AA-ish.

""Hi, my name is Lori, (everyone: HI LORI!!)and Im a book addict. Its bad enough that I cant pass a bookstore without running in and buying something, but now I have found goodreads, and its all i can think about. I cant eat, or sleep, or find time for schoolwork!""

haa haa... gotta love the support we give each other here. Although, we are more of the enabling sort, arent we? So dont look to us to help you quit the habit... we are here to help SUPPORT your habit :)

message 6: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) Hello April I'm Alicia.I am a sahm of 3 and job hunting.Going back to school In august so i'm taking advantage of my reading this summer.I'm pretty new myself I don't get to post much and only get to check these boards once or twice a week.

message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Lori *LOL*that's a pretty acurate description!
Always wonderful to have fresh brains to pick for... well pretty much everything,books,movies ect,ect.Looking forward to reading more posts from all of you.Or rather to support you in your "healthy habits"of reading and spending time on Good Reads :)

message 8: by Emma (last edited Jun 25, 2008 01:16PM) (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments Welcome everyone! I warn you, GR is addictive, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

message 9: by Val (new)

Val (valz) | 367 comments Lori -- so now we need to start a GRA (good reads anonymous ) club. NO kidding. I get up in the morning and the first thing I do is turn on my laptop and go to the good reads site and then I look up and two hours have passed. Egads! I need help but this is the wrong place to get it. I accuse you all of being enablers!!

I have never been so interested in anything on the internet before. I have never joined any groups of any kind. But I just can't get enough of Good Reads.

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 103 comments lol well val another self proclaimed junkie right here!!!im always tryin to talk about books with friends and coworkers!!but it seems were a dying breed great to know there are still people that need more than flashing lights and predictable plots to stimulate there minds

message 11: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Welcome Val....
Before this and myspace, i wasnt using the pc much at all, but Im telling you, I cant bear to be away from this site for too long. When I went on vacation, I checked in twice a day... once in the morning when I woke up, and once at nite when we got back to the hotel. It truely is an addiction!!!

message 12: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Wow, we dont think you are crazy... you will fit right in here with us! Emma talks to her books, I dream about goodreads and our avitars, Logan has read almost every book known to man.. I could go on and on but i dont want to take all the fun out of everything... As you hang out here you will learn all our funny and silly quirks...

Nice to have you here!

message 13: by Emma (last edited Jul 06, 2008 05:55PM) (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments Haha, welcome! We're all crazy, so it's no big deal!

message 14: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments Lori, that's the goal, but I think I've got several lifetimes to go before I can even come close. Cursed writers, continuing to make great books that I can't avoid!

message 15: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Who knows, by the time we hit old age, they may have found a way to extend the lives of book addicts.... so we can remain alive so long as there is a book out there we havent read!
:)

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 103 comments we are the most open addicts ive ever met!!lol and we wont rob you blind for a fix either!! just a book a light to read and something to sit on and im good till the last page !!!!

message 17: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments I guess I'll do this too...

I am Carrie. I am 25. I am a book freak. I love you guys b/c you understand me! :)

message 18: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Carrie, Can you believe that I still read your posts in whispers.... that cracks me up!

I want to offically welcome you to the group! This is the one place where you never have to worry if the thing you are about to say is weird or strange becuase i can gaurentee that someone out there has thought or done the same thing as you have when it comes to books or quirks ...

Hell, if you told us you sniff the pages each time you turn them, and kiss the cover hello and goodbye, there would be a crowd of people behind saying 'Yeah! I thought I was the only one who did that!'.. well, ok. maybe not. but you get my point :)

message 19: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments Lori... was that last paragraph a confession?? I'm starting to worry about you!

message 20: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

omg.. haa haa... if it was, would i be considered strange... awwww.. man... i thought everyone did that!

message 21: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments HEY LORI! :)
"Shh...whisper..."

I walked into Books a Million the other day and said, "Mmmm.........that smell! I love that book smell!" and the guy working the front looked at me like I burped really loud or something.

message 22: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments lmao. Obviously that guy is working in the wrong place if he doesn't love the smell of books - he can't be a true book lover.

Not quite the same thing as sniffing each page though <<>>

message 23: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

oh c'mon.. i was just throwing that out there... i dont REALLY DO THAT... you gotta believe me!!!

haahaa

message 24: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments Hahaha. Well, I could actually say that. See, I don't KISS the cover, but I always touch my fingers on The Sweet Far Thing letters and sigh. And I don't SNIFF every page but embrace the wonderful smell. But still, pretty close. There's a new drug out there! Sniffing up book pages!

message 25: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments <<< slowly backs away from the crazy sniffers>>>

message 26: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments Careful, Kirsty. They can smell your fear.

message 27: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments lol, I don't doubt it... that's why I'm backing away!

message 28: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenalilian) I love that smell too, but won't smell the books until I am at home and alone ... OH, NO! I am a closet book smeller!

message 29: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I thought I was the only weirdo that did these things!Gotta love this site!

message 30: by April (new)

April (escapegal) | 130 comments I feel so normal...
;)

message 31: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments Haha!

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 103 comments theres nothing shameful we have a addiction!!lol

message 33: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments Tell the truth. Have you ever LICKED a book?

message 34: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

oh my god. what????!!!

haa haa haa

message 35: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments SERIOUSLY. You didn't answer the question.

I ate a Babysitter's Club page once. It wasn't my brightest hour. Needless to say I've always had an obsession with books :)

message 36: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments omg. I've scared you all.

message 37: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

I think im going back away slowly with Kirsty this time :)

message 38: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments hahaha....
:) :)

message 39: by Tisha (new)

Tisha Welcome!! What they say is true... this group is addicting!!! I just joined this about a week ago and I find myself checking it at least a couple times a day... (at work and at home). There are always a ton of new posts when I do, so i love that its an active group. Also, great recommendations made always!

Lori, to your point... it is great to meet others with the same weird book "quirks" and "obsessions!"

message 40: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments Carrie, I'll fess up to it. I once spilled some nacho cheese on the cover of a book. Now, these are nearly my two favorite things: cheese and books. I didn't want to waste the cheese and I didn't want to damage the book, so I licked it. Tasty!

message 41: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments HAHA, Logan! I would have done the same thing..ESPECIALLY if it was nacho cheese! YUM!

message 42: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I can honestly say that I've never licked a book.Carrie is this something you recommend?
Are we missing out on some aspect of book loving
that hadn't occurred to us?(save Logan's clever mix of two loves).. :)

message 43: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenalilian) I am going to have to pass on that one too ... hmmm

message 44: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments to each his own :)

message 45: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) | 257 comments Oh, dear! I love book & I love cheese, but I don't think I'd ever lick a book to get the cheese off! *LOL* But I love that you guys would! This is why I love this group:P

message 46: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments so now we're licking books?

Geez... I'm surrounded by lunatics!

message 47: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments I like being crazy! Makes life fun :)

message 48: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments The sane people just wish they'd thought of it first. :P

message 49: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstyreadsandcreates) | 610 comments hmm... u keep on telling yourself that my friend... :oP

message 50: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments I don't need to keep telling myself, my imaginary friend does a good enough job reinforcing that mantra. :)

« previous 1