Axis Mundi X discussion

Teacher fired for branding crosses on students

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori Whoa! This takes the argument of science vs. intelligent design in the public education system to whole new level.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080620/a...

message 2: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I'm a Christian and I'll tell you if some bastard burned a cross on my kids arm I'd be hard pressed not to brand him a few times, let alone sue him! Yet another mentoring looney that make us normal "believers" look bad.

message 3: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
My first response is to make a snotty remark about how can it be intelligent design if the people who believe in it do such boneheaded things?

My next one is, this guy must be unbalanced to be burning the students with crosses with whatever device he's got. Funny, I don't remember anything in the Bible about branding ourselves like cattle. Whoops, back to snottiness I go.

message 4: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenalilian) Nothing that starts with... "With the exception of the cross-burning episode ... " ... is bound to have a good outcome

::Laughing:: this dude is nuts! That goes to show what kind of screening goes into the selection of the people who turn to be teachers in the public school system.

message 5: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) It has nothing to do with the bible or God Jacks...just a nut job!

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori Yeah, but the part where he says he was just doing what fits into the mentality of the school zone is pretty disturbing too! It could even be true since many students said he was their favorite teacher.

This country is just becoming more and more polarized. Scary.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jun 20, 2008 06:22PM) (new)

RandomAnthony Niiiiiice....even the Christians are going to hate this dude. If this guy did what the article says he did he makes reasonable Christians look bad, I agree.

But I agree with Donna in that a lot of what could happen very quickly and without malice in a classroom can get misinterpreted by the press. I sure as hell don't know what happened there.

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori True Donna. And that sensational headline of the article is indicative of the struggle going on these days of the polarization I was speaking about. It just gets worse as the fundamentalist Christians holler about the prejudice they undergo. It breeds even more self-righteousness and then the opposite reaction against it.

Yet even without the branding the guy sounds like a nut.

We can take this further to discuss the political correctness of Christmas. Employers not being allowed the say Merry Christmas. Christmas trees being referred to as Holiday Trees. The more things like this happen, the further the backlash becomes.

Any non-Christians here have a problem if there's a sign for Christmas trees? Certainly not me. It's true there's an importance to be sensitive to others and how our language effects all, which is why political correctness started. But taken too far, it becomes a mockery of itself.

message 9: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I think there has to be a reasonable line. I don't like hearing Christian Christmas carols in public schools (although it is funny to hear little kids sing "virgin" in "silent night") but I don't mind Christmas trees, which seem more secular than anything now.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori If the schools include songs from the other religions, at the very least the religions represented in the school, then I don't mind. But I'm very open about the holiday season. It can be such a beautiful time.

message 11: by Meels (last edited Jun 20, 2008 07:05PM) (new)

Meels (amelia) Trees and Santa aren't religious...generally speaking "Christmas" isn't religious for a LOT of people. It isn't that much for me, I mean, it isn't REALLY when Christ was born, if you take the census being taken in Luke at the time of his birth and who Luke said was ruling at the time. Historically there was a census under those rulers, and it would have put Jesus' birth in the spring. Dec. was just convenient to drown out the pagans...which is BS (the drowning anyone else out part), so I don't care.

I think, as a Christian, that if parents want their children to have a Christian upbringing, that is their responsibility and it has no place in schools. If they want it in schools, then make whatever sacrifices you need to make to afford to send your children to a private school! Simple as that! Though, I wouldn't expect my kids to be taught Atheism or Islam or anything else either.

message 12: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (last edited Jun 20, 2008 07:19PM) (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
except for the whole part where "Santa" is a shortening of "Saint Nicholaus".... kind of Christian, don't ya think?

But I get your point... I didn't know that Christmas was about Jesus until I was like 8 or something and we did a Nativity play at school. I was a donkey or something. Yeah yeah, type casting, I know.

Also... I feel kind of religious about trees, but Jesus has nothing to do with it.

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
I think the headline of this article set the tone. Did the teacher act inappropriately, sure, should he be punished sure, should he lose his job... I don't know about that. There are not a lot of meat and potatoes to this article so it is hard to say.

I will say that in the US today where there is a growing disconnect between educators and students that a popular teacher is an important fixture at an institution of learning. There needs to be something for kids to hang onto.

I don't know if that makes sense.

message 14: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments The dinosaur press is dying, they're desperate to for readership and viewers, so we get crap like this. We also had this lead story from CBS recently:
Seismic Activity 5 Times More Energetic Than 20 Years Ago Because Of Global Warming

And they wonder why they're losing money hand over fist.

That really sounds absurd... I am curious how global whining is supposed to cause greater seismic activity. Did they elaborate or just make the claim?

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori This is why I don't watch network news. At all. I can't even bare to hear their teasers during the few shows I do watch.

Stay tuned...to this most shocking story!

Whatever happened to Walter Cronkite who treated the news with the gravity it deserves?

Then there's the weatherman, who grins from ear to ear as he (it usually is a he) tells you the horrible weather coming around bend. He loves it! The worse the better! Attention seeker.

When did the shift happen? When did journalist go from reporters to T.V. personalities concerned more with ratings then with facts?

When ever it happened it sucks. I become truly frustrated when trying to get to the bottom of a story. It is exhausting sifting through all the jib trying to sort out the facts and let the spin fall to the floor.

message 18: by Not Bill (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments Nick, they blindly parroted the rediculous claims of some pseudo soientist. They did so because it fits the current model / agenda / political fad, and because they think we're too stupid to notice.

message 19: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jun 21, 2008 05:48AM) (new)

RandomAnthony I don't watch network news, either. I don't even like using yahoo's home page because they always lead with a lost kid or something. I hate it.

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 129 comments As an atheist, I currently don't have any issue with christmas trees or other christmas paraphernalia. Of course, it's still my culture, even if it isn't currently my religion, and the cultural aspects are still pretty important to me. I put up a christmas tree in my own home, and think both of the christmas trees of my catholic childhood, and of the pre-christian yule trees of the pagans. My tree is primarily covered with more pagan-related images of stars and nature, but my grandma would still see it and like it.

I bet I would feel different if I weren't christian by culture.

There may be corporate policies that christian references to the holidays aren't appropriate, but I don't think going as far as saying that corporations are forbidden from anything is quite realistic. It looks to me like one of the two sources of major societal change (government mandate is the other--sure, grassroots movement is a third, but really only has any broad influence if either government or corporate influence latches on) has begun to shift toward seeing religious holidays as cultural, not universal, and supporting a universal holiday season (gosh, wouldn't it be easier if Eid and Diwali didn't float throughout the year?) as a middle-ground method of ensuring that christmas still has a place.

No one will ever stop you from celebrating christmas. All that's being asked is that you recognize that not everyone you interact with every day does. Is that offensive? I don't wish you happy birthday on my birthday. I don't expect you to celebrate my birthday. I may even wish you happy birthday on your own birthday, even though it's not my own personal/cultural holiday. It's like that.

I'm reserving judgment on the teacher, because it sounds like we don't have nearly all the info.