Terminalcoffee discussion

Face Off! (Less Serious) > Rod Stewart or Neil Diamond?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17337 comments Mod
You are forced to listen to one, only one of these, nonstop for the rest of your life.
Which one do you choose?

message 2: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments I cringe at the thought of having to listen to either nonstop for the rest of my life, but if I had to choose one, it would be Rod Stewart.

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) What strange Hell is this?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I am so sick of "Maggie May" I have to go with Neil Diamond. Yes, I know he's responsible for these lyrics:

"I Am, I Said" by Neil Diamond

"I am," I said
To no one there,
And no one heard at all,
Not even the chair.

"I hear you, Neil," replied the coffee table.

message 5: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments You know, I was all ready to say Neil Diamond (although the two are pretty much on par with me) because I used to dance & sing to "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree" all the time when I was young. Then I realized I wasn't even in the ballpark, that was Tony Orlando & Dawn.

Wow. I must be almost 40. Alzheimer's is kicking in. O_O

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) Neil Diamond! Better voice, way hotter.

Though, as has been pointed out, not the best lyricist:

From "Play Me":

"Songs she sang to me
Songs she brang to me
Words that rang in me
Rhyme that sprang from me"

I am almost 100% sure that "brang" is not a real word.

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I have heard "brung" used in a sentence, as in "I brung my kids to the store the other day." Neil Diamond, however, is a descendant of Russian and Polish Jews so he has no excuse.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Neil Diamond, all the way. But can I turn him off sometimes? And I'd like this to be "Neil Diamond songs" because then I could listen to some Monkees, too.

message 9: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments if forced to choose, neil diamond. right now, neither.

message 10: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 250 comments Neil Diamond.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I would probably choose Neil Diamond, it doesn't say he can't sing other peoples songs.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I would go crazy.

That said, I might choose Neil Diamond. Sweet Caroline and I'm a Believer are both pretty listenable even on repeat, as is Dry Your Eyes.

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

Huh. I'm not saying that its like you have an iPod embedded in your skull permanently or anything. Just that for instance, your car radio will only play one or the other. Nothing else. Suddenly your LP collection consists of only one.
I'm SURPRISED that all (?) of you chose Neil Diamond?
I could never love a man named Neil. It is Rod for me.

message 14: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Rod's appeal is an utter mystery to me.

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

Yeah, he is very unfortunate looking. But I could listen to him much better than the other one.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments "Solitary Man" by Neil is pretty awesome. So's "Cherry Cherry."

He was a songwriter in the Brill Building, so he has no excuse for his awful lyrics, but he's got a larger repetoire than Rod.

Both men have dreadful hair, in their own ways.

message 17: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Sally wrote: "Huh. I'm not saying that its like you have an iPod embedded in your skull permanently or anything. Just that for instance, your car radio will only play one or the other. Nothing else. Suddenly yo..."

Sally you always make me smile :)

message 18: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Rod Stewart hands down! If I can confine the playlist to the Faces and those early solo albums.

message 19: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments You may not. You must endure the sappy crap era:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGEe_z...

And the disco era:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRdml1...

(By the way, I will never forgive him for this massacre of Tom Waits' "Downtown Train".)

message 20: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Shit. Tough choice then. I'll go with The Mod.

message 21: by Sally, la reina (new)

ms.petra wrote: "
Sally you always make me smile :) "

Dawwww.

message 22: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) some baseball park plays "Sweet Caroline" during the 7th inning stretch...can't remember which one. I probably would have to go with Mr. Diamond.

message 23: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Esquire (MalcolmEsq) You don't have to force me to listen to Rod the Mod. I think he's excellent.

Of Neil Diamond I love his track 'The Boat That I Row' especially sang by Lulu, and I love the tracks he wrote for The Monkees.

But at the end of the day it's Rod for me.

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael Neil Diamond.

message 25: by Michael (new)

Michael ms.petra wrote: "some baseball park plays "Sweet Caroline" during the 7th inning stretch...can't remember which one."

I think it started with the Boston Red Sux.

message 26: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman Neil Diamond. And I would not have to be forced.