Jane Austen discussion

Post-Austen Reads-NOT Fanfiction > NPR Suggests Wharton, Maugham & Benson

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
We just yesterday included E.F. Benson books in our suggestion folder here and turns out National Public Radio recommended them too. I just came across this on the NPR site:

Three Books (NPR Great Reads)

Enjoy the article-

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) Edith Wharton is my all-time favorite American author!

message 3: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessalittlenerdy) Interesting article! Thanks for sharing, Sarah! I'm always looking for more book recommendations (even though my TBR would like to protest this, I'm sure).

message 4: by Joy (new)

Joy (joylnorth) In a recent NPR story Fun In The Sun: Laugh-Out-Loud Summer Books, the writer recommends The Three Weissmanns of Westport:

"Cathleen Schine's twist on Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility substitutes divorce for primogeniture as the event that abruptly reduces a woman's material circumstances. When Joseph Weissmann tells his wife of 48 years that he wants a divorce because of "irreconcilable differences," 75-year-old Betty finds herself exiled from their sprawling, elegant Central Park West co-op to a borrowed beach shack in Westport, Conn. Her two grown daughters, also at loose ends, rally around for support. Joe's "irreconcilable difference" turns out to be an avaricious younger colleague named Felicity, "although Betty referred to her, pretending she could not remember the correct name, sometimes as Pleurisy, more often as Duplicity."

A master of the modern domestic comedy, Schine lobs zingers at divorce lawyers, McMansions, infomercials, insecure authors, adult sibling rivalry, and easily bamboozled old men, among other targets. She's alternately uproarious and moving."

message 5: by Joy (new)

Joy (joylnorth) Here's another story in which the author touts her latest novel, The Cookbook Collector: A Novel, as "A Sense and Sensibility for the Digital Age."

message 6: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
Joy wrote: "Here's another story in which the author touts her latest novel, The Cookbook Collector: A Novel, as "A Sense and Sensibility for the Digital Age.""

Joy, yes, lets hope that some of these reads might be Austen-comparible! ha ha

You know really what I am looking for as a reader is an author not calling him/herself Austen, or even making a twist on her plot. It sounds like Cathleen Schine's Fun in the Sun might even go under our fan fiction folder, if it is that closely related to Austen plot. Do you think we should move it there?

message 7: by Joy (new)

Joy (joylnorth) sure!