LDS Ladies Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Threads > Embers by Sandor Marai

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather | 83 comments Here's another recommendation for a clean read. I read this for a book club and enjoyed the philosophical exploration of friendship, betrayal and the things that give life meaning. It is beautifully written with rich imagery. You might like this if you like 19th century literature generally and thoughtful exploration of complex themes.

There is no vulgar language language, no explicit sex or violence, but there is reference to infidelity and attempted murder.

message 2: by Annie (new)

Annie | 10 comments OOh, this sounds good! I'm putting it on my "to read" list!

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather | 83 comments Just a quick FYI - this is definitely clean but it's more of a philosophical discussion than a plot driven narrative. I really liked it because it is different and I occasionally like that sort of thing but other readers thought that it dragged on sometimes.

Give it a try though because there is some great imagery and beautiful writing.

message 4: by Annie (new)

Annie | 10 comments I am currently reading this. Just started it last night, so I'm not very far into it. However, his writing style (or maybe I should say the translator's) is wonderful. Very descriptive, smooth and draws you in immediately. I can't wait to see what's going to happen! (And, darn it, I'm moving this weekend so probably won't find any reading time for a while!)

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 83 comments Good luck with your move Annie. I'm glad you're enjoying the book so far. I totally agree with you about the fluidity and beauty of the translation. I hope you get back to it soon.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.