Jane Austen discussion

Summer Movies 2010 > July 9th - Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
Join us for discussing this movie of Elizabeth I.

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (thatlibrarianlady) I don't know much about the truth and background of anything in this movie. I will say I really liked the movie. Cate Blanchett is amazing. She does such a wonderful job with everything she's in. The costumes were beautiful. And Clive Owen was so handsome as Sir Walter Raliegh.

Like I said, I don't know much of the truth about any of it, but I hope Queen Elizabeth was really like that. I can't imagine having all that weight on my shoulders and no one to share all my intimate feelings with. The way she was portrayed, though she had her doubts, she seemed like she knew what she was doing most of the time, like she did her best and what she thought was best for her country.

message 3: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

I watched part of Elizabeth so far. It is a very interesting movie and the cast is good. It seems a better cast than the first Blanchett Elizabeth. Ironic that Abbie Cornish is in the cast and also starred in our last week's movie discussed here in our group.

This movie seems to also have a different pace than the first Elizabeth movie, although it has been a long time since I watched it. I do love Clive Owen, but am not sure about the part they gave him here. I'll comment more after completing my viewing. His role is very limited so far.

I like Samantha Morton as Queen Mary too -- and her jailer Tom Hollander.

I am just at that kinda sad scene now where she seems to be giving up any idea of Raleigh. Life in the royal court, I just wouldn't want to be there!

message 4: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (last edited Jul 15, 2010 06:12AM) (new)

I finished Elizabeth and liked it overall. I always question historical details and don't know for sure how much accuracy was here in this film.

I looked up some things on Walter Raleigh. I had always learned of him and his history with the Virginia colony in America. He was also very connected in Court, had a military role, did more exploring in South America, and eventually politics were his downfall- that's why I keep thinking wasn't it just dangerous to be in politics during this age? I think he and Bess had a seemingly devoted life together, but I didn't see anything about the Queen.

I also wonder if Elizabeth went out to oversee the movements of the Navy at the coast against the Spanish in her beautiful armor and wavy hair. I hope so! In this film though there may have been a few too many shots, tableau-like (is that the right word?), with Elizabeth frozen, all in white, with that sunlight-type effect. I know this is what adds to the beauty of the movie, but is this a realistic film or not? I just tend to feel like I am being fed some scenes rather than seeing a real story that I can think about.

message 5: by Rachel, The Honorable Miss Moderator (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 674 comments Mod
I adored this film mostly for the cast, too, Sarah! Cate Blanchett is simply one of the best actresses working today, and Abbie Cornish is talented as well. And Clive Owen really works any role he gets. I think I prefer the first Elizabeth film just slightly over this one, though I know that historical accuracy probably has to go out the window when watching them. :) Also, I don't think she went into battle, but it was still a cool little addition, wasn't it?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't seen the movie, but I do know that Elizabeth addressed the troops before the battle, because I have heard a student recite Elizabeth's speech:

Spanish Armada

Did they use this text in the movie?

message 7: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Rachel wrote: "I adored this film mostly for the cast, too, Sarah! Cate Blanchett is simply one of the best actresses working today, and Abbie Cornish is talented as well. And Clive Owen really works any role he ..."

I think I will check Cate Blanchett's move list. I bet I have missed a lot of good ones from her. Maybe the same of Clive Owen too because I have seen him in anything in a while.

message 8: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Jeannette wrote: "I haven't seen the movie, but I do know that Elizabeth addressed the troops before the battle, because I have heard a student recite Elizabeth's speech:

Spanish Armada

Did they use this text in t..."

Thanks for that link. I will have to check back tonight and see if the speech in the movie was this speech. I did like the scene and the armor seemed fitting for her.