J.D. Robb discussion

Born in Death (In Death, #23)
This topic is about Born in Death
In Death Books > Born In Death (Spoiler Zone)

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments No one has commented on this one either? Roarke and Eve have to go to a BIRTHING CLASS. Funniest thing EVER! Baby shower! Mavis's baby is born! TWO babies named after Eve... So great!

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13540 comments Mod
Those scenes were hilarious, especially when they both went into labor together and Eve has to handle both Mavis and Tandy by herself. One of the few times we've seen Roarke out of control.

I actually liked this case as well. It was exciting when Eve realized there was a connection between Mavis' missing friend and her case. Great story.

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Yes, it was!

Do people find Mavis annoying? I've heard inklings like that, but I don't... I was just curious...

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Occasionally I find her a little annoying, but mostly I just love the energy and side stories she provides for the books. In this book, I found her a little annoying when she was bugging Eve while she knew that Eve was already working on a big case and practically stretched to the limit. But then again, when is she not? And Mavis was pregnant and so I can forgive her for her behavior. I love Mavis, and I always will.

Hmmm. I find Mavis wildly entertaining. I guess her insistence in this case didn't bother me because she's got great instincts and she asks so little of Eve.

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Mavis does have great instincts with people... She seems to always know what to say to people to make them feel comfortable. Plus, she knows how to come in and make Eve chillax when she needs it, you know?

She's one of the few that know how to handle Eve. And she gives Eve great advice.

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Yep! There have been a couple of times when Eve was having Roarke issues when Mavis has given her pretty fun advice, like, "MAKE him tell you what's wrong, then screw his brains out!" Hahaha... It reminds me of my freshman roommate... :)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments uh...what mavis' mans name again?

and i do actually find her occasionally annoying but not all the time.

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Leonardo... I have a really hard time picturing him, but whatever... What do you think about his voice on the audiobooks? I'm like, "Errr.... is he supposed to be European?"

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments According to Wikipedia, he is of Native American origin and stands about 6'5".

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Exactly. So what's with the accent?

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Sara, I have absolutely no idea!

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments *shrugs* Oh well! I imagine it's difficult to come up with 15 unique generically American voices, you know? Hence Baxter being southern and Leonardo being whatever his accent is.

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments True, but she does a pretty terrific job, nevertheless.

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Absolutely!

message 17: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments I think Mavis and Trina are the comic relief. I loved the part when Eve told Mavis to (view spoiler)

Karon (agmommy) | 182 comments Great quote! That's what friends are for....they tell you like it is!

Cast List (view spoiler)

There are no spoilers in the list. It's only set up this way because of its length and for easy reference.

Belles | 156 comments So much fun to see Eve & Roarke suffer through Mavis's childbirth. The class they had to take, the baby shower, and then two births! Through all of this it's good to see that Eve & Roarke are on the same page with all this, knowing that neither of them are even remotely ready to start a family.

Sara asked above if any of us found Mavis annoying. She wasn't annoying until this book. She was really whiney throughout, then she made Eve take on a missing persons case in the middle of her big homicide case, then she just had to get married in the delivery room before the baby came. I'm Mavised-out on Eve's behalf. But other than this book, I like Mavis's character. She's good for Eve. They balance each other out.

message 21: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments I laughed for days after I read that part. I know that J.D. Robb has a lot of good GIGGLES in her books, but this one in BORN IN DEATH was the best. Roarke rarely loses his panache, but in this one even he almost didn't know what to do.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) What makes Mavis not as grating as she could be (honestly who is that positive?) is the fact that she really, really knows Eve and is a great friend!

message 23: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments Yes, Mavis can be annoying. The one I'm crazy about is Trina. I find her very annoying. As much as Eve finds her annoying.