J.D. Robb discussion

Survivor In Death (In Death, #20)
This topic is about Survivor In Death
In Death Books > Survivor in Death (Spoiler Zone)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karon (agmommy) | 182 comments I am only about 1/2 way thru this book but ran across a REALLY funny scene. Two cops have been killed and Eve didn't bring Peabody in on it (stating she needed to rest, she wasn't back to 100%). Audiobook listeners, to revisit this hilarious scene, go to part 6, around the 39-minute mark. Rather than back down from a steaming Peabody or butt heads with her, she tried a different approach. It definitely made me laugh out loud!

This has been a very tough book to go thru. I have actually had nightmares from it....thinking what it would be like if that happened to my family. The other day I couldn't get my kids to answer the phone. I just had all kinds of awful visions in my head of them murdered in their beds! (By the way, they were awake but didn't hear the phone) Talk about LIVING this series!

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13658 comments Mod
This murder was chilling and it happens right at the beginning. Even so, there are some really great Eve Dallas moments that help make this book one of my favorites.

Karon, do a spoiler and remind me of the scene.

Karon (agmommy) | 182 comments OK I'm just remembering it, not actually going to quote it: (view spoiler)

Yes! It was hilarious and totally shifted the moment. Thanks for that.

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments This is a great book. Nixie is so darling and the mystery is excellent. I love the part when Mavis visits.
And Karon, the scene you included is one of my all time favorites of the series.

Karon (agmommy) | 182 comments YAY! What a perfect ending to another J.D. Robb book! I have to say that hearing Nixie cuss put a major smile on my face. And the fact that she got to say it to the one that it counted to just made it that more satisfying. That girl is going to give her new foster parents a run for their money...she seems to be somewhat her own person and does what she wants. Twice now that has worked out in her favor. WOW...love these books! On to Origin.....

Cast List (view spoiler)

There are no spoilers in the list. It's only set up this way because of its length and for easy reference.

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 19 comments Reading this right now, and the scene where Nixie goes to the morgue to say goodbye to her mom and everything else that happens after because of that, makes me cry so much! I used up a whole box of tissues...

There are a lot of tough scenes in this book but that's gotta be one of the rougher ones.

Belles | 156 comments SPOILERS below

​Wow, really interesting way to open the book with Eve & Roarke hosting a child. Eve's reaction to discovering what an allowance is was great. "They get paid for being a kid? Nice work if you can get it." I really like Nixie. She's a tough, smart little cookie. I like the relationship Eve has with Nixie, that Nixie can trust that Eve always keeps her word - having Mavis come over, that she can see her parents in the morgue, and that Eve will catch the bad guys.

Robb did a good job throughout the book juxtaposing the various parent child relationship experiences: Eve's, Roarke's, Summerset's, Peabody's, Richard & Elizabeth (can't remember their last name - from the first book), and of course Nixie's. Such a variety of dynamics and experiences.

It was a good scene between Eve & Roarke when they talked through the idea of whether or not to keep Nixie. They both are just not not not ready for the experience, especially with the emotional baggage Nixie now has. It was important for them to realize that having all the money in the world isn't going to make them ready for a child.

Good book. TOUGH murder to read about. Yeesh.

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments wow Belles you are flying through this series. I was that way when I started. loved this book was very emotional. you made a lot of great points

Belles | 156 comments I'm really trying to fly through the series. I want to catch up so I can read Echoes in Death with you guys when it comes out in February! I think I'm going to have to put a few other books on hold to do this, though.

Yes, Belles, you're definitely in the midst of some serious In Death fever! Loving your insights.

The opening scenes of this story were some if the most tension filled in the whole series.

I agree with your perceptions about Eve and Roarke being ready for parenting. There was a part of me wanting that to happen but I was relieved when Richard and Elizabeth took in Nixie.

Belles wrote: "I'm really trying to fly through the series. I want to catch up so I can read Echoes in Death with you guys when it comes out in February! I think I'm going to have to put a few other books on hold..."

I flew through the series...the first time. Warning...you're going to want to immediately turn around and reread the series. I don't reread books but read this one three times. Don't know why this one is so different for me.

message 15: by Belles (last edited Dec 14, 2016 06:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Belles | 156 comments Jonetta wrote: "Warning...you're going to want to immediately turn around and reread the series. "

OMG, I already want to reread it and I'm not even close to finished yet! I'm reading these so fast that not all the details are sticking in my memory. I know I'll enjoy these the second time around because I'll be able to absorb more of the nuances. Maybe toward the end of next year I'll have circled back through the series and caught up with the group monthly reads.

And I just wanted to say THANK YOU for having this group! I can't imagine reading these and not having a place to share my emotional reading experience after each book. :)

You're so welcome! This series is responsible for me finding Shelfari and ultimately ending up here. I read the entire series with no one to discuss it with...I thought I'd reached heaven when I found the groups.

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments I to had read most of the series with no one to discuss it with. When I was introduced to goodreads and some how managed to come across this group, it was like heaven. I went through the entire series really fast and had to start over. I definitely enjoyed it more the second time. I just can't get enough of this series.

Belles | 156 comments So, this is kind of like a self-help group. Ha ha ha!

Yep! With outstanding therapy:)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 4 comments I like this group because it's like finally knowing there are other people that suffer from the same behavioral tics that I do...

message 21: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 633 comments SURVIVOR IN DEATH and THANKLESS IN DEATH are my least favorite of the series.