Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Let's Talk About: Your Books > Your latest book purchase!

Comments (showing 351-400 of 1,284) (1284 new)    post a comment »

message 351: by Liz (new)

Liz Fichera (LizFichera) INSIDE MY HEAD by Jim Carrington and CARRIE PILBY by Caren Lissner. Inside My Head by Jim Carrington Carrie Pilby (Red Dress Ink (Numbered Paperback)) by Caren Lissner

message 352: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 169 comments I've long thought we should have a "keep each other honest" challenge, pick a number, and mutually agree not to buy any books until we've posted that many as "read" on the KEOH challenge page. Pick a reasonably low number like 20, and a reasonably low number of "reward" books, like five, that we get to buy after. Do that a few time and yeah, we may have 15 new books but we'll have gotten rid of 60! (and since my physical bookshelves have easily 20 times that in TBR books, I clearly need to be kept honest!)

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane, #2) by Elizabeth Hoyt - just waiting for it to arrive from The Book Depository.

message 354: by Sans (new)

Sans Melanie wrote: "Nah, you're still good Sans:-D 100 books is what I can buy in a month when I go a little crazy, lol..
I admire whoever limits their book-buying!! I don't htink I'd have the self-control! ."

My record was 97 books in one trip to the UBS. I get shipments from Amazon every day at work. Even the UPS guy makes fun of me now. I've considered joining support groups, but I'm pretty sure I'd just get new ideas for more books to buy. XD

message 355: by Sans (new)

Sans Kelly, I had to force myself to not read Everyone Loves a Hero as soon as I got it, then I forgot about it! I'm going to swap out the Jess Michaels book in the Let It Be Love challenge. Thank you for reminding me!!

message 356: by Sans (new)

Sans Niquae, that "Buy It Now/1 Click" feature is a KILLER for me. Grrrr.

message 357: by The UHQ Nasanta (last edited Feb 03, 2011 08:24PM) (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments Sans wrote: "Niquae, that "Buy It Now/1 Click" feature is a KILLER for me. Grrrr."

*shamefaced* Couldn't resist another purchase:

The Silver Pigs is available for $2.99 on the Kindle. I thought I recalled someone recommending this author to me and this is the first book. I wasn't sure how long this 63% off list price thing was going to last so I decided to buy it.

Book #8. 12 more books allowed for this year.

message 358: by Mira (new)

Mira | 5 comments I bought The Demon Trapper's Daughter Forsaken (The Demon Trappers, #1) by Jana Oliver

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments I won The Demon Trapper's Daughter and Impulsive in the giveaways. I need to read and post reviews.

message 360: by Sans (new)

Sans niquae wrote: "Book #8. 12 more books allowed for this year."

I'm breaking today. I couldn't even last 4 days. I got coupons from Borders and Half Price Books this week. I figure I'm making plenty of OT right now, so I'm not gonna punish myself. XD

message 361: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I think someone need to hide you credit and debit cards, Sans.

message 362: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments I bought:
The Eternal Ones (Eternal Ones, #1) by Kirsten Miller Scandal of the Year (Abandoned at the Altar, #2) by Laura Lee Guhrke The Bodyguard (Includes T-FLAC, #16) by Cherry Adair

message 363: by Galla (last edited Feb 04, 2011 12:52PM) (new)

Galla | 110 comments Sashana wrote: "I think someone need to hide you credit and debit cards, Sans."

If Sans is anything like me, she has both her check card and her Amex numbers (including the smaller access codes and the expiration dates) memorized, lol. I could stick them in the freezer, but I'd still know how to use 'em.

message 364: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 110 comments I just ordered Follow That Gun and Murder on Ice

message 365: by Sans (new)

Sans Galla, I do have them memorized. I'd say it's bad, but we all know it's fun to be bad. ^o^

message 366: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (sarahandherbookshelves) | 14 comments I just bought Alice I have Been.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments Yep, mine are memorized. lol

message 368: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (nankinat) | 94 comments Just bought A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

message 369: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments Wow. There are a lot of books being purchased that I've never heard of before. I hope everyone let's us know if they're good.

message 370: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (shyluck13) Lisarenee wrote: "I bought:
The Eternal Ones (Eternal Ones, #1) by Kirsten MillerScandal of the Year (Abandoned at the Altar, #2) by Laura Lee GuhrkeThe Bodyguard (Includes T-FLAC, #16) by Cherry Adair"

I'm reading Eternal Ones - through the library. Have you started it? I did a few days a go and am sorta liking it so far. Let me know what you think!

message 371: by Susan (new)

Susan Roebuck (SueRoe) | 25 comments I'm reading Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg and I love it.

message 372: by Abby (new)

Abby (abbycagle) | 2 comments Book: Elixir by Hilary Duff
E-Book: Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

message 373: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 285 comments Sans wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Nah, you're still good Sans:-D 100 books is what I can buy in a month when I go a little crazy, lol..
I admire whoever limits their book-buying!! I don't htink I'd have the self-con..."

Lol... My record was 950 used books off ebay in 3 days (the lots are killers!), and that wiped out a month's salary:-D And once off BD I ordered 108 bk! But nowadays, off BD, I usually order 15-20 books at a time:-D I can imagine the UPS guy though if you get books everyday:-D
And that "buy it now" option is a killer!!

message 374: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Melanie wrote: "Sans wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Nah, you're still good Sans:-D 100 books is what I can buy in a month when I go a little crazy, lol..
I admire whoever limits their book-buying!! I don't htink I'd hav..."

-_-

message 375: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments Melanie wrote: "Sans wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Nah, you're still good Sans:-D 100 books is what I can buy in a month when I go a little crazy, lol..
I admire whoever limits their book-buying!! I don't htink I'd hav..."

I can see needing 950 books. Perfectly reasonable to me. To my husband, no.

message 376: by Sans (new)

Sans I agree, Shay, perfectly reasonable. But that's why I don't shop on eBay. ^o^

message 377: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments I have to limit the amount of books I buy. If I don't then I don't eat, have electricity, water, a car, or a roof over my head. I think I enjoy simple necessities over books. *gasp* I can't believe I just said that...*getting ready for the onslaught of rotten veggies and words coming this way* ;)

I can't wait until I can have a big library of my own, in my house. However, at this point in time being a student and grossing $3000 a year won't do it. Lol.

message 378: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments Rachel wrote: "I have to limit the amount of books I buy. If I don't then I don't eat, have electricity, water, a car, or a roof over my head. I think I enjoy simple necessities over books. *gasp* I can't believe..."

You'll still run out of room. I bet my husband regrets not buying me the 9 bedroom house with library and music room (library #2) that I wanted.

message 379: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Hehe. I would love a house like that. Doubt that will ever happen on a teacher's salary though. Dang...I'm losing all the way around here. Haha.

message 380: by Melanie (last edited Feb 05, 2011 06:04PM) (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 285 comments Sans wrote: "I agree, Shay, perfectly reasonable. But that's why I don't shop on eBay. ^o^"

Lol... that's why I closed my ebay account:-D (I only realized after winning the 20 or so auctions that I had to buy all those books, lol)..

Rachel - couldn't you justify buying a couple books as "books these kids absolutely need to read"? Like Darkfever or Vampire Academy? :-p

As for houses and libraries, I want Belle's (from Beauty & Beast) library!!!!

message 381: by Rachel (last edited Feb 05, 2011 06:36PM) (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Oh, I have been...lol. The only thing I have been buying in hardcopy for the past six months has been YA and chldren's books. Oh, and of course some classics. The Kindle or library has become the way I get everything else.

message 382: by Tai (new)

Tai (MsGlam) | 101 comments Thanks to a groupon and a few family members who love me and brought me additional groupon B&N gift certificates. I got these.....
The Water Wars by Cameron Stracher Darkest Mercy (Wicked Lovely, #5) by Melissa Marr The Light of Asteria Kailmeyra's Last Hope (Kailmeyra, #1) by Elizabeth Isaacs The Shadowing (Powerless, #2) by Jason Letts Flyte (Septimus Heap, #2) by Angie Sage Physik (Septimus Heap, #3) by Angie Sage Raising the Dead (Past Midnight, #1.5) by Mara Purnhagen The Familiars (The Familiars, #1) by Adam Jay Epstein

message 383: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (sarahandherbookshelves) | 14 comments Nathalie wrote: "Just bought A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness"

That looks great!
I just bought Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning

message 384: by Sans (new)

Sans So...I went to the UBS yesterday. And today. *sigh*

Written on Your Skin by Meredith Duran Carnal Gift (Blakewell/Kenleigh Family Trilogy, #2) by Pamela Clare The Notorious Bridegroom by Kit Donner Talk Me Down (Tumble Creek, #1) by Victoria Dahl To Sin With A Scoundrel (Circle of Sin, #1) by Cara Elliott A Little Bit Wild (York Family, #1) by Victoria Dahl Back in Black (SBC Fighters, #5) by Lori Foster Love Evergreen by Ginny Aiken Always in My Heart by Catherine Anderson Star Bright (Kendrick/Coulter/Harrigan #9) by Catherine Anderson Sun Kissed (Kendrick/Coulter/Harrigan #7) by Catherine Anderson What A Dragon Should Know (Dragon Kin, #3) by G.A. Aiken The Duke of Shadows by Meredith Duran Wicked Becomes You by Meredith Duran To Wed a Highland Bride by Sarah Gabriel Something About You by Julie James Styx's Storm (Breeds, #22) by Lora Leigh Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton One Night With You by Sophie Jordan One Week as Lovers by Victoria Dahl Beyond Innocence (Beyond Duet #1) by Emma Holly Lion's Bride by Iris Johansen Bengal's Heart (Breeds, #19) by Lora Leigh Last Night's Scandal by Loretta Chase The Making of Victorian Values Decency and Dissent in Britain 1789-1837 by Ben Wilson Out Of This World by Jill Shalvis Velvet Haven (Annwyn Chronicles, #1) by Sophie Renwick Flat-Out Sexy (Fast Track, #1) by Erin McCarthy Addicted by Charlotte Featherstone Twilight Begins (2-in-1) (Wings in the Night, #1 & 2) by Maggie Shayne

And a couple of pre-orders from Amazon came in during the week.
Reaper's Justice by Sarah McCarty Primal (Breeds, #23) by Lora Leigh Pride and Pleasure by Sylvia Day The Seduction of His Wife by Tiffany Clare After Dark with a Scoundrel (Lords of Vice, #3) by Alexandra Hawkins On the Hunt (Includes Sentinel Wars #2.5, Final Prophecy #5.5) by Gena Showalter The Perfect Mistress by Victoria Alexander A Thoroughly Compromised Lady (Harlequin Historical) by Bronwyn Scott Animal Magnetism by Jill Shalvis Darkness Dawns (Immortal Guardians #1) by Dianne Duvall

Ashley ~twisted_illusions~ (twisted_illusions) | 67 comments My Borders order came yesterday
One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) by Jeaniene Frost Rogue (Shifters, #2) by Rachel Vincent

message 386: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 285 comments Lol Sans... Cool books!

message 387: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (nankinat) | 94 comments Went to a Korean bookstore and bought the first half of A Game of Thrones and Pandora Hearts in Korean for reading practice. It's going to take me awhile. xD

message 388: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Sevin (TugceNidaSevin) | 157 comments Sans wrote: "So...I went to the UBS yesterday. And today. *sigh*

Written on Your Skin by Meredith DuranCarnal Gift (Blakewell/Kenleigh Family Trilogy, #2) by Pamela ClareThe Notorious Bridegroom by Kit Donner[bookcover:Talk Me Down|47166..."

And I thought I was buying too many books :)

message 389: by Sans (new)

Sans Thanks Melanie!

Tugce, I did go a bit overboard. Stress = Sans eating too many salty snacks or buying books. Since I'm determined to lose weight this year, I went for the retail therapy instead. XD

message 390: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments Sans wrote: "Thanks Melanie!

Tugce, I did go a bit overboard. Stress = Sans eating too many salty snacks or buying books. Since I'm determined to lose weight this year, I went for the retail therapy instead. XD"

But you got so many used books that the Amazon books were all but "free" because of the money you saved. (This is what I tell my husband all the time.) I loved buying used books- I think of them more as saving money rather than spending money.

message 391: by Sans (new)

Sans Shay, we're sharing a brain. That's exactly what I tell myself. I love buying used books but only if I can see the book at the shop first. I hate buying them online. Most of the ones I got used through Amazon were either NOT in the described condition or stank of cigarette smoke. Bleh.

message 392: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Sevin (TugceNidaSevin) | 157 comments Sans wrote: "Shay, we're sharing a brain. That's exactly what I tell myself. I love buying used books but only if I can see the book at the shop first. I hate buying them online. Most of the ones I got used thr..."

i never have a chance for used books at least not the ones in english so i am just jealous :)

message 393: by Sans (new)

Sans Oh no! Not having access to used books would desolate me. I'm sorry, Tugce!

message 394: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments Tugce Nida wrote: "Sans wrote: "Shay, we're sharing a brain. That's exactly what I tell myself. I love buying used books but only if I can see the book at the shop first. I hate buying them online. Most of the ones I..."

Have you tried www.betterworldbooks.com ? They ship worldwide for free- no minimum purchase. I think the only exceptions are "Marketplace" books, but I haven't checked recently. They have sales at least once a month. The only thing is that the free shipping is slow- but it's free.

message 395: by Sans (new)

Sans http://www.bookdepository.com/ ships worldwide for free as well. Not used books, but they're usually cheaper than Amazon.

message 396: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments Sans wrote: "http://www.bookdepository.com/ ships worldwide for free as well. Not used books, but they're usually cheaper than Amazon."

Betterworld books has sales at least once a month and they go on sale for about 3 for $9. (Used books) I've gotten quite a few immaculate hardcover books for $3 from there. Also, all the money goes either to the libraries that donated the books or to world wide literacy charities. So, money well spent. Truly guilt free buying.

www.thriftbooks.com has free shipping in the U.S. I've found them a little more expensive than betterworld, but sometimes when I'm looking for a specific book and it's not available at Betterworld, then I'll check there.

message 397: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Sans, I am definitely moving down the street from you one day. Lol. Better buy a notebook to serve as your "books checked-out" record! :)

message 398: by Sans (new)

Sans You'd be my favourite neighbor. ^o^

message 399: by Tuğçe (new)

Tuğçe Sevin (TugceNidaSevin) | 157 comments Shay wrote: "Sans wrote: "http://www.bookdepository.com/ ships worldwide for free as well. Not used books, but they're usually cheaper than Amazon."

Betterworld books has sales at least once a month and they g..."

Thank you Shay, now I have two more websites to wander around for books, my husband will seriously be happy! about that :) I usually get my books online (e-books) that is easier for me to reach, buy and download easy, no delivery prices no waiting for days to be delivered as it takes sometimes to deliver to Istanbul/Turkey, I must say and a little over priced, books are heavy unfortunately. I know it is not the same feeling reading an ebook but at least I can read what I want when I want, when the book is out etc. anyway thank you for your recs I will see through them and with the prices you are talking about I think I will be buying some...

message 400: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Pittman (barefootdokusha) Yesterday I bought:

The Redemtion of Sarah Cain by Beverly Lewis
The Redemption of Sarah Cain by Beverly Lewis

The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2) by Riordan
The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) by Rick Riordan

Rumors: A Luxe Novel (The Luxe) by Anna Godbersen
Rumors A Luxe Novel by Anna Godbersen

I don't have, nor have read book 1 of The Luxe series. I have book 1 of Percy Jackson but haven't read it.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (other topics)
The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (other topics)
Love in the Afternoon (other topics)
Covet (other topics)
Something About You (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rick Riordan (other topics)
Lynn Kurland (other topics)
Jack McKinney (other topics)
Jack Whyte (other topics)
Anya Seton (other topics)
More...