Challenge: 50 Books discussion

2010 > Anna's books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments Although the year is over half way done I'm pretty confident that I can reach 50 books.

message 2: by Anna (last edited Jul 15, 2010 08:00AM) (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 1. Shadowland by Alyson Noel
Shadowland (The Immortals, #3) by Alyson Noel
3/5

Pretty good. First book is still my favorite in the series, I wonder how she is going to bring it all together.

message 3: by Anna (last edited Jul 15, 2010 08:02AM) (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 2.The Lions of al-Rassanby Guy Gavriel Kay
The Lions of al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay
5/5

Beautiful wonderfully written. I really really enjoyed this book sad and poignant. All the characters are well drawn and makes important points about ignorance hatred and faith. Very relevant to todays world.

message 4: by Anna (last edited Jul 15, 2010 08:03AM) (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 3.Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn
Dragon Prince (Dragon Prince, #1) by Melanie Rawn
3.5/5

Pretty good. I read some bad reviews and was a little wary expecting a blood soaked novel. While there was some hard stuff it was still a well written book and the characters are multifaceted. I'll pickup the second one soon

message 5: by Anna (last edited Jul 15, 2010 08:04AM) (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 4.Naamah's Kiss by Jacqueline Carey
Naamah's Kiss (Kushiel's Legacy, #7) by Jacqueline Carey
4/5

Beautiful, I miss Phedra and Imriel though while Moirin was a fascinating heroine I sill didn't feel very emotionally invested in her. I hope that in future books that will change. I'm not sure how I feel about the increasing role of magic in the novels. In the first three it was only hinted out or of divine origin. Still can't wait to read naamah's curse.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 5.The Lightning Thiefby Rick Riordan
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan
3/5

Pretty good. Fun and interesting enjoyed the whole greek myth thing and the fact that it is written to appeal to many kids today who suffer from adhd and dyslexia turning learning disorders into symbols of a demigod. Interested to see how the rest of the series pans out

message 7: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 6.Dragon and Phoenix by Joanne Bertin
Dragon and Phoenix (Dragonlord) by Joanne Bertin
4/5

Really enjoyed this book. Many interesting characters and a unique world setting. I'm really upset that the third book was never released. Kind of wish I had known that before I started reading still worth reading though

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 7. Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb
Ship of Magic (Liveship Traders, #1) by Robin Hobb
4/5

Very enjoyable. Similar in concept to The Ship Who Sang Really hated Kyle. All the characters are multidimension for the most part anda lot of the situations aren't black and white.

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 8.Wolf Wing by Tanith Lee
Wolf Wing (Claidi Journals, #4) by Tanith Lee
2/5

Beautiful descriptions and fantastical settings. However didn't really see a point.

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 9. Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1) by Eoin Colfer
4/5

Re-read. Enjoyed the different description of fairies.

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 10. Rhapsody: Child of Blood by Elizabeth Haydon
Rhapsody Child of Blood (Symphony of Ages, #1) by Elizabeth Haydon
3/5

I had a hard time with this book at the beginning. I couldn't get into it and found it a little over wordy and I generally tend to like very descriptive books. About half way through though I finally got interested and generally enjoyed the rest of the book. Great world building, even if Rhapsody is a little bit to perfect even for a former hooker. I would recommend reading it if you can get through the first half.

message 12: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 11. Lioness Rampant by Tamora Pierce
Lioness Rampant (Song of the Lioness, #4) by Tamora Pierce
4/5

re-read. One of my favorite series when I was younger but the first two are better.

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 12. Gossamyr by Michele Hauf
Gossamyr by Michele Hauf
2.5/5

Liked the descriptions of fairy but otherwise kinda dull. Didn't really see a point to it.

message 14: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 13. Divine By Mistake by P.C. Cast
Divine By Mistake (Partholon, #1) by P.C. Cast
4/5

Fun enjoyable brain candy with a spunky heroine and a neat world.

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 14. Midnight Pearls: A Retelling of "The Little Mermaid" by Debbie Viguié
Midnight Pearls A Retelling of "The Little Mermaid" (Once Upon a Time) by Debbie Viguié
3/5

Fun easy brain candy. I really enjoy fairy tale retellings simply because the old stories can be a little shallow and it is fun to actually see the development of a relatoinship between the protagonists rather than just a chance meeting and a glass slipper

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 15. The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman
4/5

Re-read. Very enjoyable and interesting

message 17: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 16. Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr
Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3) by Melissa Marr
3/5

Pretty good. The best is still the first in the series. Like the different courts and types of faires.

message 18: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 17. The Star Scroll by Melanie Rawn
The Star Scroll (Dragon Prince, #2) by Melanie Rawn
4/5

It took me a while to finish the first book in the series but by the end I really enjoyed it. I was a little worried about the second.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that I really enjoyed this one. It was easier to get into than the first faster paced and just generally more entertaining. I have high hopes for the third book.

message 19: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 18.Mad Ship by Robin Hobb
Mad Ship (Liveship Traders Series #2) by Robin Hobb
4/5

A strong second book, though a little drier in the middle than the first. The one thing I really enjoy about this series (so far) is that there isn't any really clear cut villian, so much as the changing of time and the way the characters overlap. I was really happy to see Malta actually get a personality beyond being a spoiled tease and enjoyed her budding relationship with Reyn. Kennit and Etta are my two other favorite characters and I am eagerly awaiting the third book to see how everything fits together. The book was a little dry in towards the end of the first half but then picked up nicely.

message 20: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 19. Naamah's Curse by Jacqueline Carey
Naamah's Curse (Kushiel's Legacy, #8) by Jacqueline Carey
4/5

I devoured this book. I enjoyed this one more than naamah's kiss, even if I wanted to scream at some of the characters. I finally found myself emotionally invested in the characters and their story. Again Carey does a beautiful job describing here world. I can't wait to see where else Moirin's destiny takes her.

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 20. The Van Alen Legacy by Melissa de la Cruz
The Van Alen Legacy (Blue Bloods, #4) by Melissa de la Cruz
3/5

Enjoyable, like the fallen angels things and more interested in their past lives than the present story.

message 22: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 21. The Last Dragonlord by Joanne Bertin
The Last Dragonlord by Joanne Bertin
4/5

I read this book after reading the sequel. I enjoyed it and the setting is fully realized. It makes me sad that there aren't any other books by the author because I really enjoyed the setting and premise. A lot of romance though.

message 23: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 22. Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop
Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels, #1) by Anne Bishop
4/5

Interesting and enjoyable read. Very brutal, might be a hard read for more sensitive readers. Very much a cliff hanger ending.

message 24: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 23. The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
5/5

beautiful and haunting.

message 25: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 24. The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling
The Bone Doll's Twin (The Tamír Triad, #1) by Lynn Flewelling
3/5

Interesting concept and something I have never read before, the only bad thing I really have to say about the book is that the whole thing feels like set up. There isn't really any action so much as setting up the trilogy. I can't wait to read the other two books to see how Tobin's story ends. Great characters I really enjoyed Lhel and Ki.

message 26: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments woot woot half way

25. Rumors by Anna Godbersen
Rumors (Luxe, #2) by Anna Godbersen
3/5

Good sequel. Pure brain candy. Sad ending though. I always wonder what causes people to chase after and become obsessed with someone who doesn't love them. Why would you want that life?

message 27: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 26. Divine By Choice by P.C. Cast
Divine By Choice (Partholon, #4) by P.C. Cast
3/5

Fun, enjoyable read.

message 28: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 27. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare
2/5

Brain candy

message 29: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 28. Prophecy: Child of Earth by Elizabeth Haydon
Prophecy Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2) by Elizabeth Haydon
4/5

Easier to get into than Rhapsody. Romance majorly comes into play in this book but it continues the quest to defeat the F'dor. Can't wait to read the next one.

message 30: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 29. Tempted by P.C. Cast
Tempted (House of Night, #6) by P.C. Cast
2/5

normally enjoy the series a lot but really didn't like the many viewpoints used or the fact that it switched between first and third person. Gave the book a scattered feel which just added to the rushed feel of the entire series.

message 31: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 30. The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) by Rick Riordan
3/5

Fun and entertaining. I love all the mythology stuff, I hope that the popularity of these books will raise interest in ancient Greek history because it is something that has always fascinated me.

message 32: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 31. To Hold the Crown: The Story of King Henry VII and Elizabeth of York by Jean Plaidy
To Hold the Crown The Story of King Henry VII and Elizabeth of York (Tudor Saga, #1) by Jean Plaidy
2/5

I'm a big fan of historical fiction, particularly about the tudors but this book just didn't do it for me. I was interested in learning more about Elizabeth and Henry VII but I didn't feel any connection to them after I finished. First off the story follows many other historical figures and doesn't spend that much time with the King and Queen of England. Also I didn't feel that the characters were developed, at all. They all seemed to be dominated by one feature of their personality; Henry VII by his paranoia, Elizabeth by her meekness, the Countess of Richmond by her need to control and so on and so forth. Part of the reason I enjoy historical fiction is that I get a chance to get to know these people as people not just as history views them. While interesting enough this book just wasn't that good. It was missing a spark of life, of personality.

message 33: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 32. Briar Rose by Jane Yolen
Briar Rose by Jane Yolen
3/5

Great concept, I never would have thought to tie together sleeping beauty and the holocaust. However felt a little rushed and well, too easy. There were very few set backs and the story progressed very quickly, I would have liked a little bit more drama.

message 34: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 33. Sunrunner's Fire by Melanie Rawn
Sunrunner's Fire (Dragon Prince, #3) by Melanie Rawn
3/5

Pretty entertaining however all the books in the trilogy seemed to follow a pattern which is a little boring.

message 35: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 34. Ship of Destiny by Robin Hobb
Ship of Destiny (Liveship Traders, #3) by Robin Hobb
4/5

A good finish to the trilogy. Things pulled together a little to cleanly for my personal tastes but still a strong finish. Again I found the first half a little dry and hard to get through but after that it picked up and I devoured the rest of the book.

message 36: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 35. The Storyteller's Daughter: A Retelling of "The Arabian Nights" by Cameron Dokey
The Storyteller's Daughter A Retelling of "The Arabian Nights" (Once Upon a Time) by Cameron Dokey
2/5

Interesting. Brain candy, I like the whole reading the story from cloth thing.

message 37: by Heather (new)

Heather Have you read the third Robin Hobb trilogy in the series, Anna? It ties all the books together really well!

message 38: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments Heather wrote: "Have you read the third Robin Hobb trilogy in the series, Anna? It ties all the books together really well!"

The liveship trader books are the only ones that I have read but I really enjoyed all of them and hope to start the dragon keeper soon

message 39: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 36. Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey
Banewreaker (The Sundering, #1) by Jacqueline Carey
3/5

Interesting world however a little too much like lotr for my tastes. Really enjoyed the fact that the story talks about both sides of the struggle.

message 40: by Heather (new)

Heather Nooo, you HAVE to read the first three triologies together! They all link in, so you don't really get the whole, AMAZING, story if you read them on their own. The Farseer trilogy is the first one, followed by the Liveship Traders, then the Tawny Man. Trust me, you'll be grateful you did it! They're brilliant books, and the Liveship series is the worst (comparatively) of the lot.

message 41: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments Heather wrote: "Nooo, you HAVE to read the first three triologies together! They all link in, so you don't really get the whole, AMAZING, story if you read them on their own. The Farseer trilogy is the first one, ..."

I plan on reading all of them.

message 42: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 37. The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman
The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials, #2) by Philip Pullman
4/5

not as enjoyable as the golden compass but still good.

message 43: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 38. Heir to the Shadows by Anne Bishop
Heir to the Shadows (The Black Jewels, #2) by Anne Bishop
4/5

Not quite as good as Daughter of the Blood, less brutal with more character development. Wish there was more Daemon Sadi in it. He is one of my favorite characters in the series, so far.

message 44: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 39. Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead
Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) by Richelle Mead
3/5

Brain candy. Pretty good a solid continuation of Rose's story. I really love that she doesn't shy away from sex. Many YA books seem to gloss over it and it annoys the hell out of me. Sex is a normal part of most 18 year olds lives and to pretend otherwise is just naive. Also a pretty solid love triangle.

message 46: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 41. Envy by Anna Godbersen
Envy (Luxe, #3) by Anna Godbersen
3/5

message 47: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 42. Hidden Warrior by Lynn Flewelling
Hidden Warrior (The Tamír Triad, #2) by Lynn Flewelling
4/5

Great follow up to the Bone doll's twin. Can't wait to read the conclusion.

message 48: by Anna (last edited Sep 08, 2010 11:44PM) (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 43. Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier
Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters, #1) by Juliet Marillier
5/5

Devoured this book. It hit all the right notes for me and nothing felt false or overdrawn. I cried several times through out the book. I really hope that son of the shadows is this good as well.

message 49: by Anna (new)

message 50: by Anna (new)

Anna (annameghan) | 56 comments 45. Once Upon a Winter's Night by Dennis McKiernan
Once Upon a Winter's Night by Dennis McKiernan
3/5

Felt a little shallow to me but still pretty enjoyable.

« previous 1