Writing Haven discussion

Books > Mermaids/Sirens/Selkies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Garrett (last edited Jul 08, 2010 12:17PM) (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) 2008-10 might have been the year of the vampire, but 2011 might be the year of the mermaid! If anyone else has read any good mermaid books, just post them below! :)

message 2: by Garrett (last edited Jul 10, 2010 04:40PM) (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Here's some of the mermaid books coming out soon/already out: Forgive My Fins (Fins, #1) by Tera Lynn Childs Forbidden Sea by Sheila A. Nielson Siren by Tricia Rayburn Mermaid A Twist on the Classic Tale by Carolyn Turgeon The Mermaid's Mirror by L.K. Madigan Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings by Helene Boudreau

message 3: by s-hastings (new)

s-hastings (spencercavanaugh) Oh another one is Sea Change by Aimee Friedman

message 4: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I'm reading that one now! It's good so far! :D

message 5: by Garrett (last edited Jul 10, 2010 04:47PM) (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I've added others, if anyone's interested: Teenage Mermaid by Ellen Schreiber Hannah (Daughters of the Sea, #1) by Kathryn Lasky Midnight Pearls (Once Upon a Time) by Debbie Viguié

message 6: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 571 comments Mod
Okay, so I'm having to make some decisions on two books I'm going to get and one of them is Siren by Tricia Rayburn ...has anyone read it?

message 7: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I added it to-read about a month ago. It sounds really good, and I THINK it's about mermaids, so you should get it!

message 8: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 571 comments Mod
LoL! Thanks, it's between that book and this one Shadow Hills by Anastasia Hopcus

message 9: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I entered a contest to win that one! But, then again, my opinion is pretty biased lol. If I had to choose between any two books, and one was a mermaid one, I'd go with that!

message 10: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 571 comments Mod
Why am I not suprised? LoL! Shadow Hills got better reviews though....and it's longer by 48 pages...I'm not sure...tis is hard...

message 11: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I feel torn between books all the time, too!
Oh gosh! Siren comes out Tuesday! Should I get that when the money comes or Angel Star? Mermaids...angels...I think you know which one I'm leaning towards. Lol!

message 12: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 571 comments Mod
I know which one you are I can only give your opinion of Angel Star...It's what you want of course...

message 13: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I just looked on Amazon and they're offering Shadow Hills and Siren together for just 23.85!

message 14: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 571 comments Mod
LoL! Really? Interesting...

message 15: by Lacey (last edited Jul 12, 2010 02:17PM) (new)

Lacey | 571 comments Mod
Well I have an account there also and I was planning to get one of them in person tomorrow! but thanks for the offer it was nice to have it!! Let's move to chat.

message 16: by Garrett (last edited Oct 09, 2010 05:44PM) (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Here's a few more mermaid books, but they will all be released in 2011, so they don't have covers yet:
Between the Sea and Sky Rip Tide Lost Voices by Sarah Porter Ripple by Mandy Hubbard

message 17: by Garrett (last edited Jul 13, 2010 10:46AM) (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Here's another mermaid series, called "Water" by Kara Dalkey. It's a trilogy, and they take place in the Middle Ages. The mermaids are called "mermyds" in this series.
Ascension (Water Trilogy, Book 1) by Kara Dalkey Reunion (Water Trilogy, Book 2) by Kara Dalkey Transformation (Water Trilogy, Book 3) by Kara Dalkey

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

ok well i know this isn't going to be included since its a classic but i had to add it....

The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen

message 19: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) That's the best one! :D Here's some more:
Seven Tears into the Sea by Terri Farley The Mermaid's Pendant by LeAnn Neal Reilly Selkie Girl by Laurie Brooks

message 20: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 571 comments Mod
I just got this Siren by Tricia Rayburn

message 21: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I heard the eyes on the cover are silver, and it looks like they're following you around the room. :)

message 22: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 571 comments Mod
Yep, they're a sparkely silver!

message 23: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Hope it's good!

So, I was online looking at upcoming books, and there's going to be a sequel to Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, called Jessica's Guide to Ruling on the Dark Side, but it's not available on goodreads to add to-read yet. :)

message 24: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 571 comments Mod
I heard about it back in May! Can't wait!!

message 25: by Garrett (last edited Jul 21, 2010 06:36PM) (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Here's two series about mermaids:
Ingo (Ingo, #1) by Helen Dunmore Tide Knot (Ingo, #2) by Helen Dunmore The Deep (Ingo, #3) by Helen Dunmore The Crossing of Ingo (Ingo, #4) by Helen Dunmore The first is middle-grade/early teens, and the second is adult, but there's not much content different from teen books, so I think teens could read 'em, too:
Sleeping with the Fishes (Fred the Mermaid, #1) by MaryJanice Davidson Swimming Without a Net (Fred the Mermaid, #2) by MaryJanice Davidson Fish Out of Water (Fred the Mermaid, #3) by MaryJanice Davidson

message 26: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Ripple by Mandy Hubbard
Ripple, a 2011 mermaid book, just got its cover revealed today! What does everyone think about it? I am so looking forward to reading this one! :D

message 27: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 571 comments Mod
Found this pic. thought you might like it!

lady of light illuminance 31000 pictures, backgrounds and images

message 28: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Oh, that's so pretty! Thanks! I love it! :D

message 29: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 571 comments Mod
I was at barnes and noble today and saw that mermaid mirror was out! Didn't you want to read that?

message 30: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Yeah, I saw it the other day too, when I got Paranormalcy and Bitten! I'm going to have to buy that one soon. At the end of the month I'm going to buy the finished copy of Nightshade--two more weeks till it's out!

message 31: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 571 comments Mod
Well I bought two books today myself one of them being Crusade.

message 32: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I've heard about that one. I love the cover! Hope it's good!

Oh, I have some new mermaid books to add to this folder. It's a new series called Dark Tides (might have mentioned it before).
Siren's Call A Dark Tides Novel by Devyn Quinn Siren's Surrender A Dark Tides Novel by Devyn Quinn

message 33: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 571 comments Mod
Well I'm reading Lost Voices (Lost Voices, #1) by Sarah Porter I think you'd like it...

message 34: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Yeah, I got an ARC of it from Netgalley.com, and I've read some if it. It's really good and I love how it describes things. I haven't finished it yet, but I think it's really good!

message 35: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 571 comments Mod
I don't know....I'm finding that I have to force myself to read it, I personally don't like it but it's good writing. It just some of the concepts are way out there and just a little wierd to me but I'm glad you like it.

message 36: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Yeah, I have to admit it's pretty strange. If it weren't about mermaids, though, I probably wouldn't even like it so much. :D

message 37: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 571 comments Mod
True, I'm going to try and finish it but I'm not sure. I'm not really a mermaid fan so it's really not my cup of tea.

message 38: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Yeah, I totally understand. I'm a huge mermaid fan, and sometimes books about them just don't click. Like The Mermaid's Mirror, I tried and tried to like it, but it was just so boring, and the world of mermaids the author created was just... boring.

message 39: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 571 comments Mod
LoL, haven't read that one and I don't know if I will.

message 40: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Yeah, I wouldn't. Unless you want a really boring book with pretty imagery, it doesn't really have anything else special about it.

message 41: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 571 comments Mod
LoL, true, though I did like the beginning, it was very deep and understanding.

message 42: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I can't wait for this mermaid book: Tempest Rising by Tracy Deebs It sounds awesome, and I love the cover!

message 43: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 571 comments Mod
Hmmm, I had never heard of it! When does it come out?

message 44: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) May 10th 2011, and I think it's going to be awesome! Plus, I love the tattoo on her. The author's blog says it's going to be dark, which is good for those who don't like sparkly, overly perky mermaids.

message 45: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 571 comments Mod
LoL, that's a change.

message 46: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Between the Sea and Sky by Jaclyn Dolamore There's also this one about a mermaid who falls in love with a winged dude. I can't wait for it, either!

message 47: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 571 comments Mod
Interesting, didn't you tell me about one like that months ago?

message 48: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Yeah, I think so. Probably. I lose track. :D So many mermaid books are on their way this new year, I get excited!

message 49: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 571 comments Mod
I think mermaids are becoming more popular right now. Great for you!!

message 50: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Yay! But you're more interested in angels, right? Angels are still going strong. I really want to read Angelfire, and Unearthly looks good, too.

« previous 1