Terminalcoffee discussion

Side of the Milk Carton > Rural ? >> Discuss Dr. Who Here

Comments Showing 1-50 of 152 (152 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Zen (last edited Jul 07, 2010 08:02PM) (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments So, I moved into my new house in Fond du Lac, WI about 3 weeks ago and I just got an internet connection... because, even though I live between two pop-up subdivisions, the 8 or so houses in between can only be connected to the Web via satellite... because, get this - I live in a rural area!?? WTF?

Anyway, I am pleased to be able to communicate again. Despite the slow speeds of my downloads.

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I spent 6 months in FDL one month.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I've driven through FDL, and it felt like hours.

No, FDL seems like a good place. Do you like it, Zen?

message 4: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 350 comments Hubby was offered a job in FDL way back when but didn't take it. FDL is better than Slinger-- only lived there about 4 months. Too small for me.

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Mona's lived everywhere in SE Wisconsin!

message 6: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Welcome back to the internet, Zen! How's it goin?

message 7: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 350 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Mona's lived everywhere in SE Wisconsin!"

I thought I could live anywhere but Slinger was just too rural. The library had a 2-DVD-out at-a-time limit. The stores had ridiculous hours. We went to Milwaukee practically every weekend and did our shopping in West Bend.

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Larry wrote: "I spent 6 months in FDL one month."

You mean "one year," Larry?

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I do?

message 10: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments I love FdL so far! I've got 17 acres that I have no idea what to do with but my dogs love the woods, the fields, and the two barns.

Lots of birds and mosquitoes as I bushwhack the front yard back into shape.

Also, I luuuurrv to drive - so driving to the cities seems like a plus to me - day trips in all directions and lots of friends in Chicago, so I even have places to easily park my car there!

message 11: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments Heidi wrote: "Larry wrote: "I spent 6 months in FDL one month."

You mean "one year," Larry?"

I think Larry is referring to the brief moment he spent as Doctor Who.

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Who?

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Mona wrote: "RandomAnthony wrote: "Mona's lived everywhere in SE Wisconsin!"

I thought I could live anywhere but Slinger was just too rural. The library had a 2-DVD-out at-a-time limit. The stores had ridiculo..."

I go to the West Bend farmers market almost every Saturday...it rules...

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

You can get as upset at Larry as you want Bun, but he has the ability to go back in time and change your mind.

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17337 comments Mod
What is a tardis?

message 16: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments seems to be a blue time travel phone booth.

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17337 comments Mod
It does! Especially when one is accused of bogarting it.

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Tardis:

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Thanks. And for the record, I would never consider doing any such thing.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Time to sharpen up on my timelordianism laws I guess, now where did I put that book?

message 21: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I will gladly share access to the tardis.

message 22: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments I want a ride too!

message 23: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) There's room for everyone. There is actually infinite space in that blue box.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

If you leave behind Larry you are a dead man. Time & space won't save you.

message 25: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments Not if the Daleks get you first.

message 26: by Zen (last edited Jul 12, 2010 07:11PM) (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments BunWat wrote: "Also a galactic thread ..."

This has turned into a galactic thread! But did you mean threat?

I also like that the Daleks can't climb stairs.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

The new ones seem to have developed the ability to levitate. Stairs are no longer an issue. :(

message 28: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 515 comments Bah! The new ones would have their asses kicked by the little white tennis shoes of the old ones (thanks for the reminder, Bun).

message 29: by Jen (new)

Jen (jennylou311) Zen wrote: "Heidi wrote: "Larry wrote: "I spent 6 months in FDL one month."

You mean "one year," Larry?"

I think Larry is referring to the brief moment he spent as Doctor Who."

HAHA!

message 30: by Jen (new)

Jen (jennylou311) Larry wrote: "Who?"

exactly

message 31: by Jen (new)

Jen (jennylou311) Zen wrote: "BunWat wrote: "Also a galactic thread ..."

This has turned into a galactic thread! But did you mean threat?

I also like that the Daleks can't climb stairs."

Larry wrote: "Tardis:
but they can levitate up them
"<

message 32: by Jen (new)

Jen (jennylou311) Zen wrote: "Bah! The new ones would have their asses kicked by the little white tennis shoes of the old ones (thanks for the reminder, Bun)."

David Tennant is the best!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah David Tennant was good. But I love Matt Smith. Not in quite the same way that I loved DT. MS is brilliant.

I am not sure about the current series though. It has gone a bit x-filezy.

message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited May 28, 2011 08:53PM) (new)

Amber I thought I should move the discussion here. I didn't really like the Pirate episode either. This weeks episode was very good. It was a cliff hanger though so will have to wait until next week to judge it fully.

message 35: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Gail «Cyborg» wrote: "Amber I thought I should move the discussion here. I didn't really like the Pirate episode either. This weeks episode was very good. It was a cliff hanger though so will have to wait until next wee..."

I liked this weeks episode a lot too, I was just super tired from a 19 hour car ride beforehand, so I really need to watch it again, I feel like I missed most of it. And I'm glad you moved it to this thread, I was not aware of it's existence. I feel I will be here quite frequently from now on...

message 36: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 20, 2011 08:58PM) (new)

I had to do a search to find it, I knew it existed.

I am not so fussed on the Amelia Pond character. I like her but it is a little too much about her for my taste. And poor Rory. How many times does he have to die? I know that no-one really ever dies in Dr Who, but Rory is breaking all attempts trying to be the first to acheive it. :)

message 37: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Rory has become the Kenny of Doctor Who; I really hope they stop fake-killing him for a while. Amy is becoming bossier lately, which is making me like her a little less, which is odd since Donna Noble was probably my favorite companion and she was REALLY bossy.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved Donna Noble as well. She brought something completely different to the roll. I was getting weary of the love interest thing.

message 39: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Ok, so I'm getting really antsy for The Almost People. Thanks to BBC America's weird take on Memorial Day, we won't get it until June 4, even on Zune and itunes. It's a two-parter and I HATE waiting two weeks for the conclusion! Still 2 days to go, it's driving me nuts. I really liked The Rebel Flesh, especially on the second viewing, and I want to see what they're going to do with the shoes (I think we will be able to tell the two Doctors apart by the shoes they're wearing and I really want to know if I'm right!)

message 40: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I am, and I really hope everyone else is too!! That finale episode was...I'll keep my mouth shut until we see if there are any more takers.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I watched it too. My daughter was especially devastated when she realised the next episode is months away...

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read any Gaiman you will have to fill me in on the reference. I have American Gods at home waiting to be read.

message 43: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Misha wrote: "And now we may not get a series in 2012? The news is conflicting, but apparently some BBC rep told the UK media that series 7 won't air in its entirety during 2012, but there may be some episodes i..."

I heard that too, on hypable.com. I already hate that the series is split into two so you have to wait months for closure, and now we may only get part of series 7!

Bun: the Gaiman episode was fantastic! The only thing I didn't like was the stuff in the corridors. The inside of the TARDIS has to be way cooler than those dull tunnels made it seem. I love how The Doctor's Wife puts a new spin on all of the previous episodes; now the Doctor's landings and interactions with the TARDIS take on new dimensions when they're watched again. Stephen Moffat is blowing the RTD era out of the water. The seasons used to be rather predictable structurally (good, but still predictable) and Moffat comes a long and upends everything. It's wonderful.

message 44: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Lol. (Fangirl geekery never ends). River Song is rapidly becoming one of my favorite characters, and now that they have revealed who she is (!!!) I can't wait to see more of her story. One of my favorite scenes of all time is the one you mentioned Bun, with the kiss. Matt Smith's awkwardness was so endearing. I love what Moffat and Matt Graham did with the Doctor in The Rebel Flesh and Almost People, with Matt Smith having to act with himself, which he did brilliantly. They actually got Tom Baker to record the "jelly baby" line for the ganger Doctor!

message 45: by ~Geektastic~ (last edited Jun 16, 2011 11:13AM) (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I had sneaking suspicions about River too, but my brain kept saying "no, that's not possible without(view spoiler)..." and so I couldn't reconcile my intuition with all of the possibilities. And them WHAM! it all came together and it was fantastic. Time travel has so many possibilities (and so very many ways it can go horribly wrong, from a writing perspective) and Moffat just takes off with it and goes to amazing places, and yet somehow you always (mostly) end up in a place where it not only make sense, but feels right for the characters as well.

My biggest complaint, which I mentioned earlier in this thread, is the whole Rory-death-of-the-week thing that was going on for a while there. I'm glad that has passed. I like Rory and I don't want his life or death to become unimportant because he gets killed/almost killed/wiped from existence once a week.

message 46: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments BunWat wrote: "Yeah, I really laughed when you said Rory had become the Kenny of Dr. Who. And I agree that it needed to stop. But I think it did serve a purpose, in sort of... accelerating Rory's character deve..."

I agree, he needed some cred, but I feel that he pretty much achieved that the first time, especially after devoting 2000 years to protecting Amy . The almost-drowning in Curse of the Black Spot was really one time too many. However, I will acknowledge that Black Spot was actually skipped ahead in the order of episodes, so it may have had more impact had it aired in the second half of the series like originally planned. I'm still glad they shifted it forward though, so they were able to give the captain a cameo in A Good Man Goes to War.

message 47: by ~Geektastic~ (last edited Jun 16, 2011 11:36AM) (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments For lovers of Doctor Who and trock (time lord rock- yes, its own subgenre!)

http://youtu.be/BAi4izfvXo4

(It's a music video, not a clip, so no spoilers!)

message 48: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I just don't want it to get to the point where you can play a "spot the dying Rory" drinking game.

message 49: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I've been lurking in this thread, and I have a question to ask y'all. Who is your favourite and least favourite companion?

message 50: by ~Geektastic~ (last edited Jun 20, 2011 08:50PM) (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Favorite: Donna Noble

I love that she was just the Doctor's friend and could give him attitude; she was hilarious and really sweet at the same time. She was so funny but her story ended so sadly. Plus, her grandfather, Wilf, was awesome. In fact, they would tie if he had been a long-term companion

Least Favorite: Rose Tyler

She was fine for the first season, but about midway through the second season, I was sick to death of the "I'm so jealous of everyone" routine. I was glad when she was gone and I didn't have to watch them both make sad cow eyes at each other every episode.

« previous 1 3 4