J.D. Robb discussion

Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
This topic is about Glory in Death
In Death Books > Glory in Death (Spoiler Zone)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Peabody! And they move in together... and the bloody proposal... :) Good times! And the home office Roarke sets up for Eve... :)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13452 comments Mod
The scene in Roarke's office when he locked her in and she admits she cant be without him. Yum.

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments I don't remember that part... know which chapter that's in?

message 4: by Tya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tya Oh my goodness. That scene may be my favorite of the entire series!

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments I don't remember that part either.

It starts at the end of Chapter 8 and picks up in Chapter 9.

Let's not also forget the scene where she blasts into Roarke's midtown office.

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 646 comments Thanks, Jonetta.

Oh, I love the scene where she blast in, great stuff!!

message 8: by Tya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tya They just have such a great dynamic! There's a scene in one of the more recent books I want to say (although I could completely be making that up!) where they are working a case from home and he is up at some ridiculously early hour having a holo-conference and Eve bursts through thinking that its too early for even him to be working and he thinks to himself, "Well. She's always threatening to burst her way into one of my meetings. Now she has" or something like that. It was just a cute moment/pay off to a long standing joke.

I remember that though I don't recall which book. And, there was a redhead in the group giving Roarke a special peek.

message 10: by Sara ♥ (last edited Apr 16, 2011 11:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Okay, I'll have to go home and listen to that part... There isn't a copy checked in at the library, dang it! (I work at the library, and I'm here now. It's very slow for a Saturday!)

I remember the holo-conference, though! That was great. It's times like those when Eve really owes Summerset.... after all, if he wasn't around, she might walk into something like that NAKED! :P

Hahaha! How true.

Karon (agmommy) | 182 comments Introduce: Roarke...AKA the "Coffee Charmer" whom finds sentimentality (is that a word?) in an old button that fell off of Eve's awful suit that she wore to Sharon DeBlass's funeral. I just finished my first re-listen to this book last week. I missed a bunch towards the end, and didn't realize the exact family ties the first time around. Once I finally got a few chapters in with this book I was hooked, but it didn't just jump up and beg for me to read it. Now I can't get enough of them!

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments I just re-listened last week, too! The chapter 8/9 scene! AWWWWW!!!! Eve just breaks down...

She has come SO FAR, hasn't she? Even just to book 5 (which is where I'm at in my re-listen...), she's come a long way!

You bet she has. That section of the book represents a defining moment for her. It's got to have been the first time she had to willingly give anything of herself. Wonderful scene. Thanks, Sara, for the memory reminder.

Karon (agmommy) | 182 comments My bad...what I posted happened in NAKED in death. Sheesh. I get these all mixed up!

message 16: by Tya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tya Oh what happened in the chapter 8/9 scene?! My books are far away at home... I want to "Aww" too!

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Tya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tya AWWWWWW!! That scene is one of my favorites in all of the series. All though....(view spoiler)

Thanks for answering!!

Tya wrote: "AWWWWWW!! That scene is one of my favorites in all of the series. All though....[spoilers removed]

Thanks for answering!!"

(view spoiler)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments What chapter is that in—the Treachery scene? I swear, I just listened to that book last week, and I can't remember what happened! THIS is why I buy books! They have EXCELLENT re-read value, with my memory!

message 21: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments I can't remember the Awww scene in Treachery either and I read it recently too. I guess when you get to be my age all the books meld together

The fight that Eve and Roarke had in Treachery in Death? It's at the beginning of the book, when she arrives home from work.

message 23: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments thanks Jonetta

I'm in the same boat, B. I've never re-read books before this series.

message 25: by Dee (last edited Nov 14, 2011 12:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments B wrote: "I keep trying to analyze why I love these so much, why I find them intelligent and moving enough to reread all the time. Guess it doesn't why!"

I can tell you exactly why I love this series: First and foremost the characters keep growing and changing making the relationships and the characters themselves complex. They can sometimes screw up like the fight Peabody and McNab had when there relationship was new or when Roarke shut Eve out when he found out about his mother or when Eve was running scared when Roarke wanted to marry her.

Secondly, the police investigation seems logical, like what would possibly occur in a real investagation. I HATE when an author insults my intelligence by overlooking the most obvious clues. I think it's laziness on the author part not to find a reasonable angle.

Finally, because Robb (Nora Roberts) has 42 books in this series and a new one coming out about every 6 months there is no way I can remember all the details of a particular book. I might remember the crime and who did it but I won't remember the funny or the touching moments. This keeps the stories fresh.

Cast List (view spoiler)

There are no spoilers in the list. It's only set up this way because of its length and for easy reference.

donna (donnahag) | 51 comments just finished Glory in Death! lived it. I enjoyed hiw Eve and Roarke are evolving and am amazed at the very last part he asked her to marry him. I went right to Amazon to buy the next one! liked the twists with the different suspects and am interested to see what I s going in with Summerset. Roarke gave me the impression that there is a story there. Liking this series very much

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Loved the end of the party scene where Roarke gets in Summerset's face about Eve. I love how he gets all panicky if he thinks something's happened to her.

Paula | 245 comments donna wrote: "just finished Glory in Death! lived it. I enjoyed hiw Eve and Roarke are evolving and am amazed at the very last part he asked her to marry him. I went right to Amazon to buy the next one! liked ..."

Glad you liked it. You are going to absolutely love immortal in death.

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10415 comments Mod
donna wrote: "just finished Glory in Death! lived it. I enjoyed hiw Eve and Roarke are evolving and am amazed at the very last part he asked her to marry him. I went right to Amazon to buy the next one! liked ..."

So glad you'll loving this series, donna. Glory was huge in the development of the relationship between Eve & Roarke. You're on your way! Enjoy Immortal!

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Just finished NAKED and am now starting a re-read of GLORY. One of my favorite lines in the whole series:

At the time Cecil Towers was having her throat slashed, Roarke had been f---ing the hell out of the investigating officer.

Penni | 813 comments Kirsten wrote: "Just finished NAKED and am now starting a re-read of GLORY. One of my favorite lines in the whole series:

At the time Cecil Towers was having her throat slashed, Roarke had been f---ing the hell o..."

lol - that is good.

Penni | 813 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "donna wrote: "just finished Glory in Death! lived it. I enjoyed hiw Eve and Roarke are evolving and am amazed at the very last part he asked her to marry him. I went right to Amazon to buy the nex..."

I love the way he just kinda sneaks his way in while she's busy working her cases. She gets so focused on that he can get most anything by her lol

Kirsten  (kmcripn) What's so great about NAKED and GLORY is that they really show how blindsided these two people are. These people used to being in control are completely shattered by the experience. I especially like how they show how desperate Roarke is about the relationship. He knows she has incredible power over him.

After re-reading NAKED again, I thought it'd be interesting to see a book showing the relationship in these first two books from the POV of those around them (Feeney, Mavis, Caro, Summerset). But I guess that just shows how obsessed I am by this series. I want to know EVERYTHING!

Kirsten  (kmcripn) This line all by itself exemplifies why I love NAKED and GLORY so much:

It was humiliating to admit, even to himself, that every time he went away to see to business, a seed of fear rooted in his heart that she would have shaken herself loose of him by the time he returned.

Penni | 813 comments Kirsten wrote: "This line all by itself exemplifies why I love NAKED and GLORY so much:

It was humiliating to admit, even to himself, that every time he went away to see to business, a seed of fear rooted in his ..."

Definitely a humbling experience for the both of them.

Loved when he basically moved her into his house while she was working. That was this book wasn't it?

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Kirsten... Keep posting all these little quotes! They're just sooooo lovely! (I mean, I just reread the first 5 last month, but whatever!)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Naked and Glory are my top two IN DEATH novels! There are so many scenes where my heart contracts at things Roarke does and is thinking. Eve, too, when she realizes just how much she needs him.

The great thing about having the "ick" is that I always seem to be re-reading NAKED and GLORY. LOL!

Kirsten  (kmcripn) "she was too busy to note that his hands were not quite steady"...

I LOVE that part - it just says it all!

message 40: by Sandra (last edited Oct 23, 2014 06:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10415 comments Mod
Penni wrote: "Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "donna wrote: "just finished Glory in Death! lived it. I enjoyed hiw Eve and Roarke are evolving and am amazed at the very last part he asked her to marry him. I..."

Roarke slid right by her defenses - before she realized what had happened. But then, Eve did the same thing to him. And I have always loved that it happened almost immediately - very early in the series & yet 35+ books later, it's still just as strong. Makes me want to back up and read the first 3 books all over again. And I will after I finish my current reread of the series! ;)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) *sigh*

"He felt the first tingle of relief loosen the fist around his heart."

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Susan Ericksen's performance is so spot-on... in the scene where Eve & Roarke confront each other and Eve "surrenders" you not only can hear her voice break, but you can also hear the sniffle, the nasal sound you have when your sucking in your tears...

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Susan Ericksen is a freaking genius!!!!!!!!! *LOVE* that scene. I just listen to that part something. End of chapter 9/beginning of chapter 10, yes?

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Whenever I listen to these parts that show Roarke's vulnerability my heart just contracts. Now that's great writing AND great performing!

Michelle | 2341 comments Now I feel like I should redo these but in audio !!

Kirsten  (kmcripn) OH, yes!! I highly recommend it. I am trying to get a complete collection in audio. Just make sure Susan Ericksen is performing them. She didn't start out right away with the series, but she did go back and re-do the ones from before. So, you can find every book done by her. She is just incredible. She does all the voices and the emotion and the accents wonderfully. It's not narration, it's acting. I've gotten so I feel I'm missing something without her.

For instance, I just finished FESTIVE IN DEATH and I read the library book. It was wonderful, but I missed all my voices and everything. I have to wait for my Audible credit to show up to get it in audio.

Michelle | 2341 comments That's good to know. I think I actually have the other copy were Susan isn't the narrator of glory. My poor budget , and with Christmas coming up! Lol. But I agree this is a investment both audio and print and let's not forget the ebooks. ,!!!

Kirsten  (kmcripn) It's an EXCELLENT investment. I cannot count how many times I've listened to NAKED and GLORY alone!

Whenever I don't feel well - and I have migraines and sinus headaches frequently - I always seem to be pulling out my IN DEATH! And now, that they have that Whispersync thing for Kindle/Audible, I actually get the e-books too.

Penni | 813 comments Michelle wrote: "Now I feel like I should redo these but in audio !!"

The audios are good!

Penni | 813 comments Michelle wrote: "That's good to know. I think I actually have the other copy were Susan isn't the narrator of glory. My poor budget , and with Christmas coming up! Lol. But I agree this is a investment both audio a..."

My library has the audios that I can check out. Lucky that. I'd be broke on in death alone :-)

« previous 1