The Velvet discussion

July 2010 - Los Angeles: A Novel > What's with that damn cat?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Ross (calebjross) | 73 comments Mod
***SPOILER ALERT, maybe. I haven't finished the book, so I don't know if the follow actually spoils anything***

The cat appears around the same time we meet Angela (pg 13). The cat disappears around the same time Angela does (pg 138). The cat is discovered to be dead just before the "fake" Angela visits Angel.

Is there something with the cat? Something more than just a thread to keep the intrigue going?

message 2: by Boden (new)

Boden Steiner (boden_steiner) | 41 comments Well,yes, but to a small degree. Mostly it involves an echo or callback to Schrodinger.

It seems that many of the peculiar threads of the narrative are simply set-up for the ideas batted around in the final third.

message 3: by Peter (new)

Peter Rodrigues (prodrig) | 5 comments From what I can tell, Angel is fixated on the cat for the reasons you mention above and this feeds into his obsession with Schrodinger's Cat.

message 4: by Richard (new)

Richard Thomas (richardthomas) Right. I liked it. In fact, would've liked more of it, more concrete details, more haunting than just the odd cry or wail. Thought it might lead to ****SPOILERS*** something with a greater relationship to Angela, maybe it WAS her or something, but in the end it didn't seem to amount much ***

Also, much of the philosophy was lost on me. The science. Might be a good thread to start.