A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

Dance...

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jax (new)

Jax (anti-cato) I see that many online book sellers have end of Dec, early Jan for the release of Dance. Can anyone verify this in any way? I've been burnt by Amazon and Indigo before :(

message 2: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments I checked Amazon just a couple days ago on this and it said it wasn't out yet and I would be notified when it was available.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) George is still writing, so I'd guess that it won't happen.

message 4: by Jax (new)

Jax (anti-cato) yeah, i just read 'not a blog' about axing a few chapters and being thatmuch closer. I'm still going to hope for a special xmas prezzie though!

message 5: by Colin (new)

Colin (highway61) | 4 comments None of the release dates up thus far are in any way official, but I think it's definitely reasonable to expect him finish writing this before the end of the year. I think an early spring of '11 release is pretty realistic. I can't wait.

message 6: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments I hope so.

message 7: by Shana (new)

Shana (brazen) | 7 comments I'm in love with this series.. I read that He wrote a Dance with Dragons before a Feast for Crows... I'm trying to find the site where I read that. I don't understand why it's been so long. I'm waiting on a Feast of Crows to come in the mail.. I can't wait!

I called Books a million to find out the release date.. Their site said 2 different things.. Are u ready??? Dec 2012!!! I'm not joking ... how depressing.... I read on the HBO site that it was pushed back do to the series coming out. But that far? That sucks..!

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) The book hasn't been pushed back because of the TV show. Except for the fact that the TV show is giving GRRM another huge distraction that keeps him from writing. But it's not by design.

At the rate he's been writing, the TV show will pass him eventually if they keep to the book per season concept.

message 9: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments I hope they do that-book per season, the books deserve that time.

message 10: by Colin (new)

Colin (highway61) | 4 comments GRRM has stated that each season will cover a single book. And there's nothing to the 2012 date you were given. No retailer has any official date. Plus, that's way too far off. I would be literally stunned if DWD wasn't finished within the next 6 months or so.

message 11: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I don't think 2012 is that unrealistic, I've gotten used to the delay. Back in 2007 I thought the book had to come out that year.. No way it couldn't be done yet! Three years later and it's still incomplete, nothing surprises me anymore. Not that I'm complaining, I couldn't write it if I had my entire life to do so. Just saying, at this point if they said it would be out in 2020 I'd probably believe it :-)

message 12: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments I think George Rr Martin should get off the procrastination chair and finish the book.

message 13: by Allen, Warden of the Northwest (new)

Allen Allen (audiovore) | 71 comments Mod
As others have already stated, there is no firm date. Retailers get dates from the publishers/distributers, but for the most part have given up with all the delays(B&N had signage up back for the Sep date).

He will announce with he is done(in editing) on his LJ/Site, probably both.

message 14: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments hopefully before he dies...

message 15: by Shana (new)

Shana (brazen) | 7 comments I hope your right about the release date.. but you can go to Books-a-million's site and read for yourselves.. George is as bad as Christopher Paolini I'm still waiting for his last book..

message 16: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments what last book is that?

message 17: by Bjoern (new)

Bjoern | 19 comments Shana wrote: "I'm in love with this series.. I read that He wrote a Dance with Dragons before a Feast for Crows... I'm trying to find the site where I read that. I don't understand why it's been so long. I'm wai..."

Nah, he didn't "write it before", he originally had to split the manuscript he had ready when it got too long to be published as one... they didn't split it after a certain date of action so a lot of chapters from the now omitted part of the book already was completed when 2006 Feast was published...

Alas... after he took his time to "just finish" the parts he left out, meaning all the stuff happening in the north of Westeron and on the neighboring continent where Danaerys ran loose, he didn't like anymore what he got and it must have been somewhere at the end of 2007 or the start of 2008 when he dropped all the completed chapters and began anew with writing. A process which today has reached about 80 percent of what he wants to be included in "DwD", but as somebody here already pointed out... he also began with shifting around chapters that won't be anymore in DwD and so he loses actually words he already had written.

Going after his blog posts from fall 2009 to now he should be finished earlier than christmas 2010, but then editing will follow, which can take up to 6 months, so anything before easter 2011 is unrealistic and simply put down in the lists of online booksellers so that they have ANY date at all to give... they will go and change it if the current date goes by without the book being available... they've done so a lot since 2006 and they do for other authors as well (e.g. Scott Lynch whose third "Gentlemen Bastard" is due since 2008 and seems to not even have gone farther than the uploaded sneak chapter since he#s got into a hefty writers block and depressions).

I'm sure Dance with Dragons will come out somewhere in the future, but i don't throw my hopes in with it anymore, as there has been a lot of disappointment already for four full years. And even if we get it, that only will mean that the wait for book 6 can start and the torture will begin anew...

message 18: by Bjoern (new)

Bjoern | 19 comments Jayme wrote: "what last book is that?"

he extended his "trilogy" into a quadrologiy even before Brisingr was published... so one volume is still missing from his inheritence cycle... If he doesn't start thinking that pentuple is even more kickass than fourfold and... :D you know the drill...

message 19: by Shana (new)

Shana (brazen) | 7 comments so what that means is I need to find another series... Any suggestions?

message 20: by Jayme (last edited Aug 01, 2010 12:52PM) (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments I like Raymond E Feist's Magician which is the start of the Rift War Saga, it's a 6 book series.

message 21: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) It's more than a six books series, there are multiple sets of books after those ones set in the same world with some of the same characters, continuing the story line. All the sets stand alone well, but go together in one big series.

message 22: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments well yeah there are other series in that world but it starts with the Rift War Saga.

message 23: by Bill (new)

Bill (madvilhelm) | 47 comments Shana wrote: "so what that means is I need to find another series... Any suggestions?"

I liked the Thieves' World series, started by Robert Asprin. I think the title of the first book is 'Tales From the Vulgar Unicorn'. Juicy stuff there... ;)

message 24: by Oscar (new)

Oscar | 1 comments I'd rather wait, and have a book as good as the previous ones, than have a fast but somewhat rushed version.

In terms of another series to read, if you can get into michael moorcocks eternal champion books, there is a multitude of reading to be done.

message 25: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Here's some good food for thought:

http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2010/08/...

message 26: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Question - does anyone happen to know what the heck the "Meereenese Knot" actually is? GRRM always talks about that as being his biggest hurdle in finishing the book... Maybe it's just been a while since I read them, but I have no idea what he's talking about...

message 27: by Jayme (last edited Aug 03, 2010 05:00PM) (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments never heard of it, I think the knot means that our Mr Martin has writer's block. That article told me nothing other than Dance isn't out yet.

message 28: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) I'm reading The Dragonbone Chair. So far I think it's pretty damn good.

If you want something like Martin's work, I suggest Joe Abercrombie. He writes some badass stuff.

message 29: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) Jayme wrote: "never heard of it, I think the knot means that our Mr Martin has writer's block. That article told me nothing other than Dance isn't out yet."

It wasn't from that article, it's what he always says in his blog.

message 30: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Jayme wrote: "never heard of it, I think the knot means that our Mr Martin has writer's block. That article told me nothing other than Dance isn't out yet."

Sure, there's that. But it also shows that the reasons for Martin's delay has nothing to do with a desire to shaft his readers. Though many of them seem to feel that he's sitting back and laughing at them for getting hooked on his story only to be thrashing around while he hides the ending.

message 31: by Jax (new)

Jax (anti-cato) Chris wrote: "Jayme wrote: "never heard of it, I think the knot means that our Mr Martin has writer's block. That article told me nothing other than Dance isn't out yet."

Sure, there's that. But it also shows..."

It really upsets me that some fans think that Martin owes them Dance and that he must produce within a certain time frame.

message 32: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I agree. If you don't like how long it's taking, don't read it when it comes out. He doesn't owe us anything.

message 33: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments He will lose some readers though. People have only so much patience.

message 34: by Anomandaris (new)

Anomandaris | 3 comments Dawn wrote: "Question - does anyone happen to know what the heck the "Meereenese Knot" actually is? GRRM always talks about that as being his biggest hurdle in finishing the book... Maybe it's just been a while..."

I assume that it's something in the Daenerys storyline he can't figure out how to write.

message 35: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) There's a funny song I've heard on YouTube. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6a1y1...

The song, if I'm not mistaken, was inspired by a letter Neil Gaiman got from a fan, asking him about the lenghy times it's taking Martin to finish A Song of Ice and Fire. The words in the chorus, and the title of the song itself, was Gaiman's reply that he posted on his blog.

message 36: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments That was funny.

message 37: by Allen, Warden of the Northwest (new)

Allen Allen (audiovore) | 71 comments Mod
Anomandaris wrote: "I assume that it's something in the Daenerys storyline he can't figure out how to write. "

I've always assumed something along these lines too. Like he's having a difficult time getting her to realistically/believably and stably move on from Meereen.

message 38: by Sammy (new)

Sammy (thecardigankid)
I've always assumed something along these lines too. Like he's having a difficult time getting her to realistically/believably and stably move on from Meereen.

Which is quite funny, given that it seems about five characters from 'Feast' are going to show up asking her to come to Westeros! I guess she is going to have a hard time choosing. (Not that I personally think any of those Westerosi are going to be able to get the better of Dany if she doesn't want them to...)

So, the latest news seems to be that George has been writing a bit more of late: in the last month or so, both he and his publisher have expressed more sincere hopes to have a publication date announced in January. Obviously, by now it's a case of "been there, bought the T-Shirt", and I'm not someone who thinks that George should have to be chained to his computer just to please some book readers, but I can't deny it would be great to get this series back on track.

My biggest concern is that - since these two books are essentially a pitstop in the middle of the race - the fact that it's taken 10+ years to get them out makes people judge them far too harshly. I guess I hope that once he gets back into the hectic plot pacing of Book 6, he'll find the passion to write things a bit faster. Ah well, I guess with books like these, I should just accept how long it takes to craft them...

message 39: by Bjoern (new)

Bjoern | 19 comments Of course there are the people which WANT her to come to Westeros, but i've got a hard time imagining that more than one or two of those pleas could ever find an open ear, seeing that they come from people like the Lannisters or the "viking"like Ironmen... i can't really see House Targaryen allying with THEM, not when Danaerys is making the decisions.
Maybe she would go with the maesters or with the plea from the wall, but there would also be logical reasons for her to decline these too...

As for the release date... how many people are still out there really BURNING to get their hands on the book? It's been a very long time and much enthusiasm has meanwhile cooled down. It will be nice to hear a release date, but i can't really say that there is any real expectation still running havoc in/for me. ;)

message 40: by Clark (new)

Clark Coston (tesko) | 44 comments Bjoern wrote: "i can't really see House Targaryen allying with THEM, not when Danaerys is making the decisions."

I certainly can't see Dany teaming up with the Lannisters. There is too much bad blood, and the Lannisters would think it beneath them as they want the Iron Throne for themselves. While I don't think Danny would join House Lannister, I can definately see Dany taking the aid of Tyrion. As things stand now, he's about as much a Lannister as Hodor is.

As for enthusiasm for ASOIF, I think the HBO adaptation is re-energizing some of the fanbase, and yes, I think there is still a burning for this book... even if it is just hot coals by now. Some have grown tired of waiting, and honestly, I can't blame them. Once the book finally gets out, though, some of the naysayers will probably trickle back in.

message 41: by Bill (new)

Bill (madvilhelm) | 47 comments Don't forget that Dany's original objective has always been to return to Westeros and reclaim her kingdom. That's why she began raising her own army in the first place. Mereen has always been merely a starting point... a staging area, if you will. Ever since she was a baby her brother Viserys had been obsessed with going back, and had been sowing those seeds within her. Of course, Viserys had envisioned himself as the true heir (and rightly so), and regarded Dany as merely a tool to be used toward that end... as a means to cement some sort of alliance through a marriage contract. It wasn't until she married Drogo that she recognized her brother as the incompetent madman that he was. And of course good ol' Drogo put an end to that, and started Dany on her path to assuming the inheritance of House Targaryen. Heh.

message 42: by Colin (new)

Colin (highway61) | 4 comments Clark wrote: "As for enthusiasm for ASOIF, I think the HBO adaptation is re-energizing some of the fanbase, and yes, I think there is still a burning for this book... even if it is just hot coals by now. Some have grown tired of waiting, and honestly, I can't blame them. Once the book finally gets out, though, some of the naysayers will probably trickle back in.
"

Totally agree. I've been seeing so many people lately starting to talk about ASOIF again, whether it be in real life amongst friends, on Facebook, various message boards, etc.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Dragonbone Chair (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Joe Abercrombie (other topics)