Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > Article on how author uses social media to promote his book

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I need help about using social networking to promote my book. I have gotten great tips, but I have a big problem. I need to get my book cover on the sites. Well, I do know what file I have it in. I even know what to click. However, the sites I try to send the picture of the cover to, don't accept or convert (or something that I don't understand). I can not get my cover to upload. Any suggestions as to where I can figure out what my problem is?
I did not know who else to ask. I hope this is okay to ask. Does any one else have this problem? Thanks

message 2: by Darcia (new)

Darcia Helle (darciahelle) What format is your cover saved in? I find that JPEGs convert easily. You can change the format your cover is saved in by opening it, click the "Save As" option, then use that little drop down box to change it to a JPEG.

If you saved your cover to a PDF format, then most sites won't let you upload. The cover has to be saved in a program that is recognized as a photo.

Sometimes a site won't let you upload if the cover is too large. In this case, you have to resize it. You can do that in a simple program like Paint (which comes free with all computers).

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Darcia wrote: "What format is your cover saved in? I find that JPEGs convert easily. You can change the format your cover is saved in by opening it, click the "Save As" option, then use that little drop down box ..."

Thank you so much for the help. I just kept clicking. Then I found out that had I to click on something hidden, to give permission for my computer to allow me to send the cover out. Malika

message 4: by Darcia (new)

Darcia Helle (darciahelle) Sad when our computers are trying to outsmart us, isn't it? I'm glad you figured it out!

message 5: by Myne (new)

Myne Whitman | 20 comments I use mostly my blog, FB and Twitter to promote my book. I've recently reached 300 followers and my one year blog anniversary is coming up! I'm celebrating and you could be a winner! I'm giving away free eBooks of A Heart to Mend and $10 amazon gift cards each to five(5) lucky winners. Contest ends August 12 and winners announced on my blog anniversary August 13! Enter now

http://www.mynewhitmanwrites.com/2010...

message 6: by Erich (new)

Erich Sysak I have a Facebook page, twitter and a web site which is where my main source of information waits....And through all of it I have found it is important to be open, honest and authentic. I don't push sales, but rather invite readers to participate in the places I write about,namely Thailand.

message 7: by Myne (new)

Myne Whitman | 20 comments Greg wrote: Hi Myne,

Would you be able to expand on your post about how you got so many followers on Twitter and how you use it to promote your book? I think that would be a great help to other authors. Thanks.

Hi Greg,

I have a Facebook Fan page which I have connected to my blog and to my twitter page. So each time I post to my blog, it automatically publishes on both. Also you have to connect to your readers by replying questions, comments and helping when you can. I also do giveaways like the one above on my blog anniversary.

message 8: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Keep in mind that each social networking site has a different kind of audience. People who like Twitter are a different lot than those who like Facebook. You need to tailor your networking to match the audience of the site.

I have found Facebook to be a more effective medium than Twitter for the vast majority of things, although I do use Twitter for quick promotions.

The other thing: make sure the ratio of promotion to other material is about 1:10 respectively. Have features and information, share about upcoming projects, but keep the billboarding to about every tenth post and you'll find that fans stick around a whole lot longer.

message 9: by Myne (new)

Myne Whitman | 20 comments Sharon wrote: "The other thing: make sure the ratio of promotion to other material is about 1:10 respectively. Have features and information, share about upcoming projects, but keep the billboarding to about every tenth post and you'll find that fans stick around a whole lot longer"

This is very true, thanks for that Sharon.

message 10: by Adam (new)

Adam Bender (adambender) | 32 comments That's good advice. I use my blog not just to promote my book, but to talk about the writing/publishing process, review things I like (including music and games), and other things. Actually, maybe my blog is too broad... Is that possible, or in this age of Google is that not a problem?

message 11: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audrey_g) | 33 comments Greg wrote: "Interesting article on futurebook.com about how one author and his publisher are working together to promote his strange sounding novel.

http://futurebook.net/content/case-st......"

This is great information. Thanks for sharing the link!

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 05, 2010 12:47PM) (new)

Question for all. Has anyone used a web directory to post their site to increase traffic?

I don't mean 'search engine submissions that promise the moon for a fee - rather free open directories for listing sites.