Axis Mundi X discussion

Stellar wind 2012

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz Fisher | 5 comments I'd like to discuss 2012 and if people think that Stellar Wind 2012 is right in their assumption...about the end of the world.

message 2: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
A Brief History of Apocalypse:

http://www.abhota.info/end1.htm

Basically... uhm... no. People have been believing that the world is ending since history began. Eventually someone will be right, but I'm guessing it's not going to be anytime soon.

Of course, eventually we all get our own personal apocalypse. It's called death.

message 3: by John (new)

John (jilsao) I'd like to see a list of all the times various people said we'd all be done in. Nostrodamus, the pyramid calenders etc. Hasn't happened yet, I find it hard to believe this group (probably #4956)will be right when all the rest haven't...

message 4: by John (new)

John (jilsao) Char, Good point.

message 5: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell In 1985 when I was ten years old, I saw a documentary about Nostradamus narrated by Orson Welles. It was called The Man Who Saw Tomorrow, and it scared the hell out of me because it said the end of the world would start in May 1988 with a huge earthquake in L.A. followed by the rise of a Middle East leader (in a purple turban) who would start a nuclear war. I didn't sleep well until June 1988. I was a neurotic child.

message 6: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Johnny... click on the link I posted in #3... it's a list of all the times people said the end was nigh. It's divided into historical eras by time lines. Pretty dang cool.

message 7: by John (new)

John (jilsao) Sweeeeet! Yeah yeah, we're all gonna die in hell fire... I personally side with Patton Ozwalt (sp?) who, in his stand up routine, claims we should strive to die in the apocolypse. Think of the stories! In the afterlife (if any) how jealous would the "hit by a bus" guy be at the water cooler when you start talking about mountains flowing with blood! It's the only way to go! 'Course, I agree that it will be a good long while...

message 8: by Liz (new)

Liz Fisher | 5 comments Thanks!!! Although I am only visiting Chile for a couple of months...I am from Maryland. I brought Stellar wind 2012 along with me to read for my trip...recommended by my boyfriend. At first I found it kind of dark...gloomy but since I didnt have anything else...I kept reading. I am sOOOOOOOOOO glad that I did. Its not just about the end of the world in 2012 but also what we can do to make the world better. There is a love story.. a sassy woman pirate...so much more than doomsday. It was a fantastic read. I am so glad that I brought it along with me...and since everything else is in Spanish here, I keep re-reading and never get bored. I hope that you all read it and comment back! I cant wait!!!

message 9: by Dave (last edited Jun 18, 2008 09:34PM) (new)

Dave Russell
1260 Italian mystic Joachim of Fiore (1135-1202) determined that the Millennium would begin between 1200 and 1260.

1290 Followers of Joachim of Fiore (the Joachites) rescheduled the End to 1290 when his 1260 prophecy failed.

1335 Another Joachite doomsday date.

At least they were persistent.

message 10: by Liz (new)

Liz Fisher | 5 comments Yep, south for the winter...and believe me ...not highly recommendable..no heat here...anywhere. I am cold all of the time. Even so, its been great...interesting. I do miss my boyfriend though...Greg! I miss you!

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz Fisher | 5 comments I still recommend the book Stellar Wind 2012. It was the best book Ive read in a while and I do read A LOT!!! It's not just about prophecies and the end of the world...its a fantastic adventure on a tall ship...the golden age of sail. You meet Chango and Aymara natives, also Patagonians. You go to Machu Pichu and visit temples such as Palenque and Chitza. There is an amazing war on the Chesapeake bay (that's where I'm from and one of the reasons why I was interested in the book) the author, Catherine Barber is from Annapolis, Maryland. I found that out on her website. Anyway...I was/is a great summer read!

message 12: by Liz (new)

Liz Fisher | 5 comments Yep...even though Im in winter...I need sun!

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori Dave! I saw that Orson Welles doc as an adult, around the time of the Gulf War as a matter of fact, and it still scared the shit out me! His voice makes you beleeeeive. lol

message 14: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
Hey, we should start a "Great Summer Reads" thread - like, I recommend Mort by Terry Pratchett.
It's a great summer read because it's about Death taking a vacation and it's really funny!

message 15: by Lori (new)

Lori Hi Liz, I'll have to check that book at. Might be a good vacation book.

message 16: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

ahhhhh.... you were talking about a book title!!! Ha ha ha ha ha!!! That's awesome. Here we are getting all het up about it. Welcome Liz. Thanks for the great topic water balloon.

message 17: by Lori (new)

Lori Ooo, Jackie, I've never read Pratchett and I've been meaning to try but where to start with his 50 books. Great suggestion, I'm putting it on my list now.

message 18: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Lori, you saw it after May 1988, so it couldn't have been as scary as when I saw it. But yes, the voice.

message 19: by Lori (new)

Lori True Dave. I was too busy concentrating on Saddam being the possible anti-Christ and the imminent beginning of WWIII. Was it 100 years of war?

I guess the thing is any time you see that there's something to take away as doomsday cometh.

message 20: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Char, are you going to stay up late yackin so I can sleep in?

message 21: by John (new)

John (jilsao) YES! Mort was awesome! Right up there with Soul Music, where Rock and Roll is accidentally invented because Death's Granddaughter won't reap the cute grunge kid...
OK, it doesn't sound funny, but trust..
Good call Jackie

message 22: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

A few years ago I spent a whole summer reading nothing but Pratchett. Good times...

message 23: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

I totally want to start creating random web pages predicting the end of the world with the following catastrophes:

attack by a cosmic band of giant, roving wild dogs
abrupt abiotic changes
global Jello tsunamis
stochastic optimization
sat on by a mammoth
radioactive voles
mitochondrial cannibalism
space bats
malthusian crisis
smothered in a costume trunk
bored to death at a seminar
all paper turns to silly putty
the fossil record gets a scratch in it
vapour canopy
ozone layer doesn't set properly due to lack of enough sugar
piranahs

message 24: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Amelia my dear... you can sleep in to your hearts content... I'm a night owl baby.

message 25: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Beaux reves, Donna!

message 26: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

night babycakes!