Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Fugitive Prince (Wars of Light & Shadow, #4)
This topic is about Fugitive Prince
Wars of Light and Shadow > Fugitive Prince: Sorcerers vs Koriani -- new Perspectives?? **SPOILERS**

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments I'm starting this thread for Jon (and any others who have read this far).

message 2: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Thanks, Sandra. Busy afternoon and just got home from dinner with hubby.

I'm not quite finished with the Exchange subchapter of third chapter. Several suspicions I had in CotM and SoM are being confirmed as I continue reading.

The most recent and most shocking revelation was Morriel's frustration or disappointment with the Sorcerer's hoarded power, which she felt should be used to rebuild a galactic empire for humanity beyond Paravia. I cringed reading that, especially since she is the sole steward of the previous failed/fallen human civilization and should know better.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Yeah, well there are a lot of things Morriel should know better, the old bag. What do you make of the fact that all of the Koriani crystals are from off planet?

message 4: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments I suspected that from the previous books, although I don't think either one of them mentioned the 'special dispensation' awarded to the Koriani by the FS to allow the crystals to remain on Paravia.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Jon wrote: "I suspected that from the previous books, although I don't think either one of them mentioned the 'special dispensation' awarded to the Koriani by the FS to allow the crystals to remain on Paravia."

Ah, I suspect I'll catch that detail in the reread. I did not suspect it at all and was surprised.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments It's particular poignant when Sethvir is mourning all the things gone wrong and Lirenda is in high dudgeon swooping about with her arrogant contempt, manipulating things to capture the ever elusive Arithon, with whom she is half in love and because she can't have him, hardens herself with hatred and vengeance.

message 7: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Jon wrote: "I suspected that from the previous books, although I don't think either one of them mentioned the 'special dispensation' awarded to the Koriani by the FS to allow the crystals to remain on Paravia."

Jon, actually so, or are you guessing?

message 8: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Ach! I can't remember. I posted that a month ago. :P

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments It's easy to lose track of all the threads of this plot!

message 10: by Alissa (last edited Jan 31, 2015 12:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alissa | 52 comments Lirenda is unpredictable. I'm very interested to follow her developments...I don't think she will meekly follow Morriel's lead. Anyway, I was thinking, the koriani come from another world and so do their crystals, the F7 were called from another world and while they respect the rule of the major balance their conjury is their own. This just leaves Ath’s brotherhood, probably the seers (like the one who cast the augury for Fionn Areth) and Arithon's himself expressing gifts of paravian origin. Just my thoughts anyway, but after Jealot and particularly ch XI, I really wonder about the depth and consequences of Arithon's music powers.