July 2009 nestie book club discussion

Oscar Wao Discussion

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate (mrskatemarie) | 14 comments Answer one or answer them all...

1. What did you think of the book in general?

2. Which character resonated with you the most?

3. In the end, do you think Oscar is heroic or foolish?

4. We know from the start that Oscar is destined to die in the course of the book. Did it actually make the book more suspenseful, knowing that Oscar was going to die?

5. Is it fair to say that Yunior is Oscar’s foil—underscoring everything Oscar is not—and vice versa? Or are they actually more alike than they seem on the surface?

6. What is the effect of having a relative outsider tell the story of Oscar and his family, rather than having someone in the family tell it?

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Rowe | 21 comments I thought Oscar was pretty heroic, overcoming himself and his family to accomplish the one thing he wanted in life.

I enjoyed the format of the book, once I figured it out. It lent itself to lots of different points of view and gave you a true feeling for background of Oscar's family. I actually enjoyed all the footnotes because they were done sort of in jest and not in a serious manner. I will say that having to look up the Spanish phrases got old after a while, but that helped the book feel real.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (mrskatemarie) | 14 comments I listened to it as an audiobook and I thought it worked well in that format - but it didn't separate out the footnotes Liz mentioned. It also made it so I didn't have the Spanish text to translate - those phrases sort of just got breezed over, but I didn't feel like I was missing anything by not really having them.

I liked the book - I loved Oscar. When they started on his family stories I wanted them to hurry up and get back to him.

I think Yunior was more like Oscar than he cared to admit. He was my second favorite character.