Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > Eisler book signing/Thrillerfest

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments 2 events coming up:

I am driving to Bethesda, MD tomorrow for Barry Eisler's book signing. It's the only one that we could work out that fit into my schedule.

Next Thursday, I am going to NYC for Thrillerfest at the Grand Hyatt. This year's guest of honor is Ken Follett plus appearances by Brad Meltzer, Linda Fairstein and Harlan Coben among others.

Reports will be forthcoming. :)

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3638 comments Cheryl wrote: "2 events coming up:

I am driving to Bethesda, MD tomorrow for Barry Eisler's book signing. It's the only one that we could work out that fit into my schedule.

Next Thursday, I am going to NYC..."

Looking forward to the reports! Have a great time!

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Cheryl...one of my new favorites will be there next week. RJ Ellory (Roger) who wrote A Quiet Belief in Angels. If you get to meet him, please say hello and give him a BIG HUG...from Mary Quite Contrary. He chats with us on Amazon Nordie board NBIE II and we all just love the guy.

His latest, A Simple Act of Violence, is on the short list for the Theakstons Crime Novel of the Year, awarded at at Harrogate in July. Here is the list of nominees:

In The Dark – Mark Billingham
The Surrogate – Tania Carver
A Simple Act Of Violence - RJ Ellory
The Crossing Places – Elly Griffiths
Dead Tomorrow – Peter James
Gallows Lane – Brian McGilloway
Doors Open – Ian Rankin
Child 44 – Tom Rob Smith

Here is the link for anyone who would like to vote:
http://www.harrogate-festival.org.uk/...

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "Cheryl...one of my new favorites will be there next week. RJ Ellory (Roger) who wrote A Quiet Belief in Angels. If you get to meet him, please say hello and give him a BIG HUG...from Mary Quite Co..."

Will do, Mary. I have seen him at conferences before, but never spoke to him.

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments thanks Cheryl...Eisler's not going to be at TF? With a new release it seems like he would?

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Barry's signing at Partners & Crime on Monday, July 5th and will be in NYC through Tuesday. He then goes to Wisconsin and Minnesota on Wednesday and Thursday.

He has promised he will be at Bouchercon since he lives in the Bay Area, and I am hoping for a get together with the Rainiacs sometime while I'm there.

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Latest report:

I drove to Bethesda, Maryland, on Friday. I was a little worried about being on time since it's about a 7 hour drive. I didn't have to worry. Barry was coming from Houston and was having flights cancelled and delayed because of the hurricane. He actually admitted that he would have been better off coming to Buffalo. :-)

Because he was late, he chatted briefly with people as they announced in the store that he was there. (I got my first of several hugs.) Although he was about an hour and a half late, there were still about 40 or 50 people that stayed around and waited. He dispensed with a reading, but went directly into Q & A. This is Barry's strength since he can take a question that would elicit a one word answer and turn it into twenty minutes.
He discussed the present book: where the idea came from, how much was true (almost all of it) and the research that he did. Most were happy to hear that although the next book will again feature Ben Treven, John Rain and Dox will have significant roles in the story. He told me later that he hasn't written a word yet, but the plot is pretty well set in his mind. He denies being a procrastinator, but he probably won't do much writing until the publisher says we want the book next week.

Barry also reads the audio version of INSIDE OUT which is something new for him. I have listened to about 2/3 of it, and I think he does an excellent job. He has always complained about readers that don't do "voices" so he had something to prove.

I have pictures which I will post on Facebook. I've tried to upload one here, but the site is not cooperating right now. I will try again later.

I left Maryland late Friday night and drove back home. I got back about 7:30 Saturday morning so most of yesterday was spend napping. NYC and Thrillerfest this Friday and Saturday.

~~MQC-Melodie, Sandi, Carol and Jan can give you some ideas about my relationship with Barry.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Cheryl:
Have fun at Thrillerfest - I would love to meet Linda Fairstein and the others!
Wow that is a drive to MD for you, you both had a trek to get there yesterday! ;) Too bad Barry had travel trouble due to the rain and was late, but great that so many people stayed and enjoyed the Q&A (and hugs of course!)
I love when an author reads their own audio book, it usually adds emphasis and nuances to the reading that adds to my enjoyment by hearing it in their voice as well as the words. (I doubt a publisher would allow an author to read an audio "badly" and publish it)
When I read aloud, I don't "do voices" in a very overt manner, though I do make an attempt at accents, I think doing character voices is hard! I am tempted to find the audio of Inside Out and see how he did!

message 9: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3638 comments Cheryl wrote: "Latest report:

I drove to Bethesda, Maryland, on Friday. I was a little worried about being on time since it's about a 7 hour drive. I didn't have to worry. Barry was coming from Houston and ..."

Sounds like a good time, Cheryl! I agree with Ann, I may have to search out that audio to hear Barry do the reading! I'm telling you, you're just shameless when it comes to that whole hugging thing! ;-)

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments I'm not sure Cheryl's motivations are purely literary...

message 11: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments Not sure? Cheryl is probably Barry's #1 fan, and I assure you she uses her eyes to do more than read his books, LOL. In spite of that (;-) they seem to have developed a nice friendship over the years, and we benefit from it by hearing the occasional tidbit about what Barry is up to.

Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "I'm not sure Cheryl's motivations are purely literary..."

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Not sure? Cheryl is probably Barry's #1 fan, and I assure you she uses her eyes to do more than read his books, LOL. In spite of that (;-) they seem to have developed a nice friendship over the..."

Barry and I have joked about how I went from stalker to #1 fan to friend over a year or so. I see him two or three times a year, but we communicate fairly regularly. Remember, I am one of two "civilians" who got an advance copy in January.

The best part - I really do like his books.

message 13: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments I finally got the photo of Barry and me to upload here. You can see it by checking out photos.

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments It's nice to see authors who appreciate their fans...glad you have a nice (and extremely hot) friend who also happens to write good boooks!

message 15: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Back home from Thrillerfest. I have to open our museum and play docent all day. We are hosting an art show. I will write up a report as soon as I find the time. My laptop would not let me open up goodreads and comment. I could read what everyone wrote, but that was it.
I'll start by saying I arrived Thursday afternoon. The shuttle driver had the quickest reflexes I've ever seen. The minute the light turned green, he was tooting the horn. I wish I had a dollar for everytime he hit the horn.
My first stop was at the book room which is run by the NYC Barnes & Noble. I wanted to be sure that the manager Pat Malloy was still there. I am on a first name basis with him and his staff, and he ships all my books home at minimal cost. I even collected hugs from the bookseller.
SmileyCentral.com

message 16: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments This was a very unusual Thrillerfest. A lot of the regular authors were not there. This is the first conference I have attended in a long time that has had no Lee Child, for example. There were a lot of New authors which is good.
I spent almost an hour at the opening night reception before I saw someone I knew.
The panels started Friday morning.
I. ARE FORENSIC THRILLERS DEADLY?
Moderator DP Lyle, Lisa Black, Robin Burcell, Kathryn Fox, Jonathan Hayes, Cheryl Paradis.
They all work with crime scenes in some way. Lisa Black could be on a TV show. She is very attractive, but she worked in a County Coroner's office analyzing gunshot residue. She is now a latent print examiner and CSI in Florida. Jonathan Hayes is British and Kathryn Fox, Australian so they had a different look at things. Cheryl Paradis is a forensic psycholigist. Her upcoming book is non-fiction about the criminal mind. They talked about cases that had always intriqued them, cell phone tapping and the creation of new and extensive data bases.

II. ARE YA NOVELS FOR GROWN UPS TOO?
Moderator F. Paul Wilson, Jennifer Allison, Andrew Harwell, Ridley Pearson, R. L. Stine
The answer is obviously yes. Harry Potter and the Twilight novels have opened up the field of YA. Harwell is an editorial assistant at Dutton; the rest have written YA. I got my hands on an advanced copy of FEAR: 13 STORIES OF SUSPENSE AND HORROR edited by R L Stine that will be available in the fall. It is so important to hold on to potential readers as they migrate to adult books.

III. ARE YOU YOUR MAIN CHARACTER?
Moderator Allan Wyler, Julie Kramer, Rick Reed, A. Scott Pearson, Wendy Corsi Staub and Deborah Le Blanc. Most admit that there is something in their background that lead them into the story lines. They all have friends who are very careful about revealing secrets.

IV. WHO'S YOUR HERO?
Moderator Julie Compton, Nate Kenyon, James Hayman, David Hagberg, Ted Dekker, Linwood Barclay. Interesting group of authors. Julie Compton was an excellent moderator. In their writing, they all said that their hero could never bore them and that is a hard thing to do, I have to read John Hayman's book. He writes from the POV of a schizophrenic woman and that has to be hard to pull off.
(to be continued)

message 17: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Welcome home Cheryl!
I hope you can relax and enjoy the day at the museum and art show.

Cheryl wrote: "Back home from Thrillerfest. I have to open our museum and play docent all day. We are hosting an art show. I will write up a report as soon as I find the time. My laptop would not let me open Goodreads and post..."

message 18: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments Cheryl, thanks for posting Part 1.

As I read the topic "are you your hero" I was suddenly struck with sympathy for authors who have to answer the same questions year in and year out. That is one I've heard before. At the same time they probably realize that it's new for someone.. It must be a challenge for organizers to come up with a new twist on old questions, and I appreciate when they come up with something new.

message 19: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Cheryl, thanks for posting Part 1.

As I read the topic "are you your hero" I was suddenly struck with sympathy for authors who have to answer the same questions year in and year out. That is one ..."

Carol, you're right about the topic. I thought the panels were a little weak this year, but it's usually a new group of authors and you get new answers.

Thrillerfest, Part II
Friday night was a great cocktail party. It featured the authors of the new ITW publications. Thrillers: 100 Must Reads and First Thrills. They were all seated around the room signing the copies of those books. It was neat to see someone of the stature of a David Morrell running around the room getting his book signed.
Another of my favorite authors (and a good friend) Tim Maleeny came in. He was not attending Tfest but did come to the party. He is in the process of moving to NYC and changing jobs. You forget that they are not all full time writers and need a day job to support a family.

Saturday morning was the breakfast for this year's group of debut authors and a keynote speech by Brad Meltzer. The highlight was Brad Parks singing a tribute to Brad Meltzer to the tune of "Maria"

They taped and recorded everything and if you are interested you can go to www.vwtapes.com and find DVDs of this breakfast and Ken Follett's talk or CDs of all the panels from Craftfest and Thrillerfest.

(to be continued) There will be one last report later today.

message 20: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Barbara Vey from Publishers Weekly has a blog on Tfest and she got Brad Parks to repeat his song here. http://blogs.publishersweekly.com/blo...

Final report:
Panel: WILL YOU SIGN MY BRA?
Moderator Doug M. Cummings, Linwood Barclay, Robert Dugoni, Heather Graham, Alan Jacobson, Jon Land, William Lashner.
This is a repeat from last year with some different panelists. They all have funny stories about the incidents that happen while they're on tour. If you ever get a chance to meet Jon Land - take it. He's hilarious.

Panel: WHERE ARE THE SECRETS OF THE LOST ART?
Moderator Steve Berry, Glenn Cooper, Brian D'Amato, David Hewson, David Hosp, Raymond Khoury, M. J. Rose.
How do you get the Ooooohhh factor in your books?
I always find an author or two that impress me and send me off to find their books. Here I found one that I will avoid. I haven't read Brian D'Amato's book - I think it's classified more scifi than thriller, but he is weird. He came in wearing dark glasses and one glove, not sequined like Michael Jackson, but a leather driving glove. Neither was necessary from a medical stand point as he removed both during the panel. He was constantly drawing on his iPad and showing his doodles to the people sitting next to him and in the front row. He totally turned me off.

Panel: HOW DO YOU CROSS CONTINENTS?
Moderator David Hewson, R. J. Ellory, Sebastian Fitzek, Maria Gustafsson, Peter James, Camilla Lackberg. British, German, Swedish. How do authors approach their thrillers in different countries and still maintain a connection with international audiences. Had a request from Mary Quite Contrary to give Roger Ellory a hug - which I did.

Ken Follett was this year's Thrillmaster and he was interviewed by Steve Berry. A talented gracious gentleman!!!

Again there are CDs, DVDs and MP3 downloads of Tfest and Craftfest at www.vwtapes.com

message 21: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments Well this panel gets the award for most attention getting title! What fun.

Great idea for them to make tapes available. I may hunt down some of the panels.

Cheryl wrote: "Panel: WILL YOU SIGN MY BRA?
..."

message 22: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1117 comments Thanks for the report Cheryl, its always fun to hear about your adventures

message 23: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3765 comments Merrilee in AZ wrote: "Thanks for the report Cheryl, its always fun to hear about your adventures"

i second that!

message 24: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Enjoyed reading your report.

message 25: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3637 comments Love reading your reports. thank you.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Inside Out (other topics)