What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED!: Orphan Girl and School-Teacher Sister [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

Sue (suekerr) | 22 comments This was a childhood book in a much loved purple binding.

A young girl is orphaned and must make her way in the world with her older sister, a school teacher who gets her into the private school where she teaches. They live in one room and on a very tight budget. The schoolteacher has a beau, but doesn't want him to know how poor they are. Toward the end of the book, the schoolteacher sister gets very sick and the young girl is forced to get help. Eventually, she marries the young man and they live happily ever after. I think it was set between 1890-1920, maybe in New York City.

Any ideas?

message 2: by CLM (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

CLM | 298 comments This is one of my absolute favorites!! Emmy Keeps a Promise by Madye Lee Chastain. All of her books are good but this is the real gem. While it stands alone well, there are two related books: Dark Treasure comes before and Magic Island follows it.

message 3: by Sue (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Sue (suekerr) | 22 comments I am having a problem finding a review of summary of Emmy Keeps a Promise????

message 4: by Heron (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Heron | 52 comments Emmy Keeps a Promise. written and illustrated by Madye Lee Chastain. 1956 Harcourt, Brace & World. The story of 11 year old, Emmy, who leaves her home town to go to New York with her sister Arabel who will teach there. Hardcover, no dj, former library copy, somewhat worn. 176 pp.

message 5: by rivka (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:26PM) (new)

rivka | 303 comments A longer description: http://www.likesbooks.com/104.html

message 6: by Sue (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:29PM) (new)

Sue (suekerr) | 22 comments Now I am 100% sure this is the book. I read it in the 5th grade. I am so happy there are actually tears in my eyes. I ordered it on Interlibrary Loan through my local library so we'll see what happens ....