Axis Mundi X discussion

10 Ten AFI Films by Genre

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (last edited Jun 18, 2008 02:20PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
These must be weighted by historical significance, as well as sheer movie quality.

Shrek is far too high up the ANIMATION category in my mind - NO WAY does it top Finding Nemo!

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Plus, if I'm counting correctly, nine of ten of the animation films are connected to Disney. Hm. Do they fund AFI or something?

And Jerry McGuire on any "best films" list? C'mon.

message 4: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Lion King???? My grandkids brought the tape over to the house. Pure unadulterated, sentimental drek.

message 5: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) Um, 2001: A Space Odyssey above Star Wars? I think not.

message 6: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) I can't believe Shrek is above Cinderella, either.

message 7: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell What about Dumbo? I think it's a masterpiece.

message 8: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell At least Lawrence of Arabia beat Gone With The Wind for best epic. And the original Scarface beat the remake.

message 9: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell I still haven't seen The Iron Giant. I'm going to go add it to my queue.

message 10: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

I love Beauty and the Beast , which is modern Disney, but somehow wasn't sentimental crap.

Gaston - song from the movie.

"I use antlers in all of my decorating!"

message 11: by Lori (new)

Lori Aw, I loved Lion King. I guess I got suckered in!

Iron Giant was brilliant.

message 12: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell I think the Western category is mostly right, except I'd have included Rio Bravo instead of Cat Ballou and moved it higher up the list.

message 13: by Lorena (new)

Lorena (lorenalilian) Any vestige of credibility died when I read that "Jerry Maguire" was on one of the lists ::LOL::

I loved Beauty and the Beast, it was drawn so gorgeous, and the music score was great too. The Iron Giant is one of my girl's favorites.

message 14: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) I wasn't so impressed with the Romantic list either. Although I'm sure this statement will cause dissent, I think When Harry Met Sally is grossly overrated.

message 15: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Okay, a positive comment. I am THRILLED to see Vertigo at #1 in the Mysteries. It's finally getting the respect it deserves.

God, I love that movie...

message 16: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell No dissent from me, Summer. It's overrated.

message 17: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I didn't even notice this until Summer pointed out When Harry Met Sally, but TWO Meg Ryan comedies in the romantic list? That's just wrong.

message 18: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell And I just noticed Blade Runner is 6 on the SF list. What kind of WTFery is this?

Also, Star Wars really belongs on the fantasy list.

message 19: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies ever, Dave, so I must disagree. Blade Runner is genius and belongs on that list.

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori Maybe Dave meant it should be #1!

If not, let's fart in his face.

message 21: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Oh well...um...er...the thing is...[pulls on collar] is it hot in here...[backs away slowly, and then runs]

message 22: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Hm. Lori, you may be on to something. I like the idea of farting in people's faces when they disagree with me. Seriously. I will visualize that from now on.

message 23: by Summer (last edited Jun 18, 2008 07:20PM) (new)

Summer (summerbp) Well, Donna, when many people would consider M. Night Shyamalan "mystery," maybe it's better to keep it in Hitchcock's capable hands.

Other than his stuff, the only recent "mystery" I can think of is Secret Window, and it wasn't even original.

Last thought: maybe "mystery" has been replaced with "thriller" these days.

message 24: by Dave (last edited Jun 18, 2008 07:28PM) (new)

Dave Russell I would have included Mulholland Drive instead of Blue Velvet. Although BV is a great film and has many memorable lines, I think Mulholland is one of the best films of the last 25 years.

message 25: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I thought LA Confidential was great, Donna, but I don't know if it's list worthy...

message 26: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Also Memento.

message 27: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Big? Really? I mean, I like that movie quite a lot, but I'm not sure I'd put it on any top ten lists...

message 28: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

How about Gosford Park?

message 29: by Lori (new)

Lori Oh good one Jackie. And there's even a mystery withing the mystery.

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 19, 2008 03:53AM) (new)

All I am going to say are five simple things and then I'm out of here:

1. The AFI has always been and will always be a bunch of dumb fucks.

2. Genre films are, with a handful of exceptions, dead to me.

3. AFI's greatest liability: it's the American Film Institute.

4. Where's John Waters on the fantasy list?

5. Most of these choices are so mind-numbingly predictable that these lists didn't even need to be written. (Wow. The Wizard of Oz and Snow White? Way to go out on a limb, AFI.)

message 31: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) While I love and appreciate the work AFI does, you can't escape the gnawing suspicion that in comparison to foreign films, some of the films on AFI's lists don't hold much water. For example, Shrek would never be on this list if such animated classics as Fantastic Planet or Princess Mononoke were included.

Additionally, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly beats the crap out of most of the westerns on that list. Cat Ballou? Yeah, fuckin' right...

message 32: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

If AFI is anything like the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the majority of the voting membership is ancient and so would vote more conservatively.

Perhaps the worst of all the groups, though, is the Grammys. C'mon, even a Steely Dan lover like me knows that Two Against Nature was a ridiculous choice for Album of the Year in 2001. They beat Eminem's The Marshall Mathers LP, by the way.

And this year, Herbie Hancock won for River: The Joni Letters.

message 33: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I'm hard pressed to think of an awards show entity that isn't a joke. Anyone?

message 34: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 78 comments I generally end up contented by the SAG awards.

message 35: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 19, 2008 12:30PM) (new)

Cannes usually gives its top prizes to deserving films/actors/directors. A few excellent examples (in my opinion anyway): Barton Fink (which is the BEST Coen Brothers film, by the way), La Dolce Vita, Viridiana, Wild at Heart, Taste of Cherry, 4 Weeks, 3 Months, and 2 Days, and Kagemusha. And they gave David Lynch a best director award for Mullholland Drive...

message 36: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) It was also at Cannes where Michelangelo Antonioni's masterpiece L'Avventura was roundly booed.

Ah, what do those French know about films, anyway?

message 37: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Cannes was where Lars Van Trier gave the jury the finger for not giving Zentropa the top prize. Good for them, I say.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

What a dream-come-true it would be if, in America, at a packed screening of the latest serving of mass-produced, derivative dreck the entire audience spontaneously booed! I think I would cry for joy. Then the men in white suits would come to take me away. And I'd say, "No, no, you don't understand! The world finally makes sense." And then they'd say, "Yes, we know, that's why we've come to take you away."

*sigh*

message 39: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

I would LOVE to go to Cannes, watch films, drink wine, and enjoy the Riviera. After watching a day's worth of films, I would sit in a little cafe with friends debating the merits of mise-en-scene and montage until the wee hours of the night, being ignored by snooty French waiters. Garcon! Garcon! Un carafe d'eau, s'il vous plait!

Too bad it's so crowded with all those pesky celebrities mugging for the paparazzi.

message 40: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Don't you have an issue with a French waiter in your sordid past, Jackie?

message 41: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Yes, Pierre, with the cigarette-rolling machine, who I spent an uneventful night with.

I have more of a naive past than a sordid one, RA.

message 42: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Surrrrrrrreeee you do.

message 43: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

You wish!

message 44: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Lars Von Trier needs to be flogged. I like some of his films, but he's a massive douchebag.

He's on my list of 10 directors who shouldn't be allowed to direct any more films, no less a late-night informercial for an herbal herpes remedy.

message 45: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Wait... Caddyshack is a sports film? And, where's the Just Plain Comedy category? Not all Comedies are romantic, AFI!

Or, did they do a Comedy list earlier, that's ringing a bell. Oh, yes, I remember now...

:::strokes chin, looks thoughtful:::

100 Years, 100 Laughs