Christopher Paolini (INHERITANCE CYCLE series) discussion

Book 4 > Eragon's crazy dreams

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 01, 2010 06:36PM) (new)

Does anyone have a clue what Eragon's prophitic dreams mean?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Like his dream in book 1?I'll refresh your memory:
HEBWATCHED A GROUP OF PEOPLE ON PROUD HORSES APPROACHED A LONELY RIVER.MANY HAD SILVER HAIR AND CARRIED TALL LANCES.A STRANGE,FAIR SHIP WAITED FOR THEM,SHINING UNDER A BRIGHT MOON.THE FIGURES SLOWLY BOARDED;TWO OF WHOM,TALLER THAN THE REST,WALKED ARM IN ARM.THEIR FACES WERE OBSCURED BY COWLS,BUT HE COULD TELL THAT ONE WAS A WOMAN.THEY STOOD ON THE DECK OF THE SHIP AND FACED THE SHORE.A MAN STOOD ALONE ON THE PEBBLE BEACH,THE ONLY ONE WHO HAD NOT BOARDED THE SHIP.HE THREW BACK HIS HEAD AND LET OUT A LONG,ACHING CRY.AS IT FADED,THE SHIP GLIDED DOWN THE RIVER,WITHOUT A BREEZE OR OARS,OUT INTO THE FLAT EMPTY LAND.THE VISION CLOUDED,BUT JUST BEFORE IT DISAPPEARED,ERAGON GLIMPSED TWO DRAGONS IN THE SKY.
That's on page 81 of Eragon.This is what I theorize:man in woman arm in arm + two dragons=Arya a rider and an item with Eragon.

message 3: by Graziella (new)

Graziella (grazia) | 664 comments I still don't see how this is going to work out at the end of the book..

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) yup me too.

message 5: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Thomas (Brom) | 74 comments but what if the man letting out the cry is eargon as he watches her sail away with another man?

message 6: by britt ✨ (new)

britt ✨ (britteeebee) | 287 comments Ooh I never thought of it like that! Good theory Dustin! That definitely sounds like it could actually happen.

Diabolical Daemonic   (DemonicAngel) | 53 comments It could be Roran, Eragon, or Murtagh.

message 8: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) i think the man is roran, sad because eragon's leaving.

message 9: by britt ✨ (new)

britt ✨ (britteeebee) | 287 comments I think I agree with Dustin. It could be Eragon who's devastated that Arya leaves with another man. I don't think Roran would be that anguished. I mean he would be but I don't think that makes more sense than Eragon grieving over Arya leaving with someone else. Maybe Murtagh?

message 10: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) Maybe Murtagh marries Nasuada but since he married her he has power over her (as husband) and when Nasuada conquers Alagaesia he ends up king and when Eragon leaves he has no advice. That's why he's sad in the coast.

message 11: by Kara (new)

Kara (redheadedblondie) | 12 comments I think Murtagh dies. No traitor who is also the half brother of the hero should survive till the end of the book series.
Also, since Eragon himself has said that he doesn't wish to be king, I think Roran should be king. He's already shown that he is a good leader and a good fighter. So I think Roran is the one crying.

message 12: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 588 comments well. roran can't follow directions and even the king must listen to his people.

message 13: by britt ✨ (new)

britt ✨ (britteeebee) | 287 comments I think Roran could learn to be a great King. I think that by the end of the series he will have grown a lot and will be fit to rule the people of Alagaesia.

Although Nasuada is also a good choice for ruler of Alagaesia. I mean she already has experience leading people. She'd be the most obvious choice.

message 14: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (thebiracialbookdragon) Murtagh does not have a choose though since Galby has his true name. As far as the dream Eragon could be either the man screaming or the man going on the boat.

message 15: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) grr

Miss Silvertongue (misssilvertongue) | 17 comments But didn't someone mention you could change your true name by changing your nature? Maybe Murtagh manages to break free from Galby... he's a good character, I'd be disappointed if he dies without a chance of redemption. :)

Hmmmmmm new ruler... I honestly have no idea. Getting Roran to rule will be really cliche. I personally prefer Nasuada.

message 17: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 588 comments murtagh said he didn't want to.

Miss Silvertongue (misssilvertongue) | 17 comments And hopefully, he changes his mind. :)

message 19: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 588 comments maybe he only said that because galby was in his head... and is secretly trying to do it.

Miss Silvertongue (misssilvertongue) | 17 comments Very true. I think that's exactly what he's doing. :)

message 21: by Zack (new)

Zack (Myrddin767) | 68 comments i think that eragon was the guy left on shore, prolly left on the place away from alagaesia, and the two others could be any of his friends seeing him off

message 22: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 588 comments waa?

Miss Silvertongue (misssilvertongue) | 17 comments So Eragon went to some faraway land (like LOTR) and then a ship sails back to Alagaesia. Eragon is the one on the shore, crying, and.... yeah.

message 24: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 588 comments OR
murtagh has to leave to find himself, and eragon takes a ship back because saphira is tired.