SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: Past Book-of-the-Month > [Aug 2010] "Black Dust Mambo" Discussion **Spoilers**

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Jun 30, 2010 10:16PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29054 comments This is the discussion thread for Aug's BOM: Black Dust Mambo by Adrian Phoenix.

Spoilers Welcome Here
If you are would like to discuss the book SPOILER-FREE, please go here.
Please include in your discussion:
* Did you like the main character? (If not, why?)
* Would you recommend the book to others?
* Do you plan on reading the rest of the series?

message 2: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29054 comments "Black Dust Mambo" Discussion Thread (**Spoilers**) is Now Open

Stop by anytime to chat about this hot, new series by Adrian Phoenix! I hope you enjoyed the book!

message 3: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Jul 31, 2010 07:10PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29054 comments I, for one, LOVED this book! I am already a fan of Adrian Phoenix and her "Maker's Song" series.

I felt this series was different from those, a bit less "heavy" overall. It's definitely a favorite in 2010 for me. Here's a link to my full review

LOVED the mains, the sides, all of them. There actually wasn't a single character I didn't enjoy.

Even though I know (only what I've seen in movies) virtually nothing about voodoo or hoodoo, I felt I could connect with Kallie and Bella. They both reminded me of friends (their personalities). I LOVED Layne and can't wait for more of him. I thought the whole voodoo/hoodoo world was very interesting.

MOST DEFINITELY and already have! :)

Absolutely! Can't wait for book #2!

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiequito) | 11 comments Did you like the main character? (If not, why?) I like the main character. She is strong, but yet there is a weakness there. She needs her friends and family throughout the book, but she has also saved them too. It is an interesting dynamic of give and take there. I related to Kallie and Bella. Me and my best friend always have each other's backs and it felt almost like me and her when I was reading this.
* Would you recommend the book to others? I would recommend the book to others. I thought the book had some good actions. I also have not read any books regarding voodoo/hoodoo so this was a nice change up from the other stuff I have been reading.
* Do you plan on reading the rest of the series? Of course! It was great enough that now I am interested in continuing on.

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 45 comments I loved that there was heaps of imagination in the world building and that the first book opened the door to lots of possibilities through the series. I really liked the "nomads" and it would be interesting to learn more of their group dynamics.

Did I like Kallie? I think she's a character with a great personal journey ahead of her. I want to know what the darkness in her is before I admit her to my world of favourite characters.

Would I recommend the book? To people interested in magic, yes. As a romance, no, because it didn't feel like a romance to me. Sexy, yes. Romantic, no. The relationships felt too tangled. (Thereby confessing that I like neat and tidy happy endings)

Will I read the rest of the series? Probably not. My budget is limited, and unfortunately, so is the local library's.

There is a lot to recommend Black Dust Mambo--not least the great title. I really liked McKenna and thought Valin was an interesting, strong and vulnerable hero.

message 6: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29054 comments <She is strong, but yet there is a weakness there. She needs her friends and family throughout the book, but she has also saved them too. It is an interesting dynamic of give and take there.> Well said, Angie. I definitely agree. It made her easier to relate to, IMO.

message 7: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29054 comments <I want to know what the darkness in her is before I admit her to my world of favourite characters. >

Jenny, I'm glad you mentioned that. I'm interested to learn more about that as well. And the nomads were very interesting as well.

Sorry you will not be able to continue with the series. Ya never know, things may change between now and the next release. Could be a yr from now, don't know.

I'm glad you were able to get your hands on this one and stopped by to discuss it with us. :)

message 8: by Shelleyrae (new)

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out | 346 comments My review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I did like Kallie -she has attitude and is a lot of fun. I enjoyed the banter between the characters and there are some interesting relationships going on.

I would because I think it offers something a little different to what is out there and it has a very strong flavor that is appealing. Its more UF than PNR, so if that is your preference give it a try :)

Most likely I will pick up the next when its released.

message 9: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29054 comments Did anyone have a favorite scene or quote from the book?

message 10: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29054 comments <I think it offers something a little different to what is out there>

I thought that was a huge +, not to mention Adrian Phoenix just has a way about telling a great story. :D

message 11: by Shelleyrae (new)

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out | 346 comments Steph wrote: "Did anyone have a favorite scene or quote from the book?"

Umm the wet T-shirt competition :)

message 12: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29054 comments OMG! That was a hoot! I loved it! And I also loved the whole "self" exploration Augustine did and then his "Oh.Dear.God" remark! ;D

message 13: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiequito) | 11 comments There really were some funny comments in the book. Like when the two girls were getting down on Brueler for spying on Kallie and he tells Bella and her "You two should take your act on the road." I started laughing out loud. My son was like "what's so funny momma?" ha ha.

message 14: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29054 comments Those two back-and-forth had me crackin' up. Seriously though, I didn't think I'd like Augustine when he was first introduced (other than the hottie British accent, of course), but damn he was funny!

message 15: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiequito) | 11 comments Me too! However he earned mega points when he entered himself in the wet shorts contest! OMG I thought that was totally classic. I was thinking if I died and still had a chance might as well go for it. Ha ha!

message 16: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29054 comments LOL!! I was thinking if I died and still had a chance might as well go for it. I can't wait for more of that series!

message 17: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiequito) | 11 comments I am now interested in where her soul is?! I also want to know why the loa chose her...This should get interesting.

message 18: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29054 comments Yep! Me too! What's up with aunt not being aunt too?

message 19: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiequito) | 11 comments Well at the end she did discover her aunt was really her aunt, but that she was assuming the identity of another person to protect Kallie from others that want her dead (because of her soul). I guess we will find out if there is more to the story with her aunt.

message 20: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29054 comments Yeah, yeah, I remember. Just really curious about that and soul. Should be an interesting bk2! :)

message 21: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 2098 comments Finished BDM this morning. AP did a good job of creating complex characters. The bad guys weren't mindlessly evil, you could see how they reached this point. And the good guys weren't snowy-white, goody-two shoes. I'm definitely looking forward to the next book in this series. I know Lord Basil Augustine is supposed to have vacated Layne, but it would be a shame if he didn't pop up in future books. I usually hate when authors contrive to bring back a previously deceased character, but I'd probably forgive a lot just to see more of this character.

message 22: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiequito) | 11 comments He does have an interesting character. At first I thought he was a know it all play-it-by-the-book type, but when he entered the wet shorts contest changed my mind about him (also the scene where he discovered Layne's body) Ha ha. I would hate to see him leave too.