Stephen King Fans discussion

Four Past Midnight
This topic is about Four Past Midnight
Short Stories & Collections > The Langoliers (FourPastMidnight)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2572 comments Mod
Discuss the Landoliers here!

message 2: by Dana * (new)

Dana * (queenofegypt) | 41 comments TO this day, this story has stuck with me. I swear, I can hear 'atmosphere' noise. In all likelihood, it is the sounds of airplanes overhead, that I just cannot see, but that sound makes me think of Langoliers every time, and I picture the giant cottonballs eating up the time past....

This story is fantastic, and I even liked the TV movie they made for it.

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Mr. Toomey is still a favorite character. Such a complete buthead and still very memorable for that reason.

Felina I grew up watching the TV movie. I loved it. I didn't read the short story until last month and I loved it as well. Totally creepy with great characters. Toomey is definately a favorite King Villian for me.

Now if I could just convince 'them' to release it on DVD then I could watch it again.

message 5: by Elena (last edited Jul 05, 2010 06:08PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elena | 50 comments ****Spoiler****

It was OK for me. I loved the beginning but then I lost some interest in it. I didn't like the fact that the English man (my favorite character) had to sacrifice himself for all the others to be saved. Specially, when the reasons he volunteered came so sudden, after making a date with the girl. He said he was probably going to go and kill somebody anyway?? I don't know, he went through his reasons too fast and then the story just moved on.

message 6: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 1117 comments Mod
Felina wrote: "I grew up watching the TV movie...."

That frightens me. Or makes me old, at any rate.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I loved this story! This is one of my new favorites of his! I loved the characters and how Stephen King really helps you to get to know them so you become so invested in their stories and lives. And the creepiness factor is huge! I could almost hear the sound in the background of the Langoliers eating their way closer and closer! Excellent book! :)

Nilofer (nilofers) | 83 comments This is my favourite from this collection - and yes, the character I liked best was the English bloke, tied with the little blind girl. In fact, all the characters were memorable, the young violinist and the pilot... what I really liked was the layout of the story, the complex headings, so that reading that particular chapter was like a treasure hunt, so satisfying when something in the heading was explained later. A great story!

Malloryk0422 | 5 comments This was one of my favorite stories, I was so excited when the movie came out on tv, in fact I taped it, a while ago I was going through my movies and found it I watched it with my 12 year old son, and he made fun of the commericals for 'brand new' 1994 Grand Prix! Its a great movie that stayed pretty close to the book.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I haven't seen it, but I'm dying to now!

Felina Oh Kathy. The movie is excellent. Its not available (from what I can find) on DVD. Just VHS and who owns a VCR anymore?

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I do! I have to find it! :)

message 13: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 1117 comments Mod
SyFy shows it once in awhile.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Thanks, Chris. I'll keep my eyes open for it!

Felina Yes I saw it on SyFy a few weeks ago and set it to record but my queermo DVR didn't do it. Hate that DVR.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Awww, Bummer!

message 17: by Adam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Adam Smith (chaos624) | 19 comments I rented it on DVD, it was in a two pack with The Stand. Although I am in Australia.

Felina Hmmm...I searched for it online and none of the sellers have it on DVD. Only VHS.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I'll take what I can get, I guess. I have to see that!

message 20: by Lori (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lori (barfield) I always try to catch it when it's on. It really is a good made for TV movie. Not like IT, which sucked. Bronson Pinchot did a good job of being Mr.Toomey, the crazy man.

message 21: by Tek (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tek | 95 comments I loved it. A million times better than the movie.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I'm just curious. I love the story so much, I'm anxious to see it! The book is generally better than the movie....most times!

Felina Most times. I remember thinking that the Shawshank Redemption movie was better than the book though its been years since I read it. I also remember (as it was my first King read) that the writing was so so so beautiful but the story was disjointed. Like I wouldn't have understood the story had I not seen the movie. I dunno. I just remember being in awe of the writing. I don't think I've read an SK since that has been so beautifully prosed. I really should read that one again.

Sorry to go off topic. :)

message 24: by Lori (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lori (barfield) I don't think any movie is better then the book. At least not where King is concernd.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Definitely not where King is concerned!

message 26: by Kit★ (last edited Apr 08, 2011 10:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments I didn't like this story so much when I read it when I was younger, but I just re-read it, and I think it was my favorite in the collection this time around. It's the one that's stuck in my mind the most this past week, even while reading the other ones I kept thinking of this one. Nick was definitely my favorite, but I like Albert too, and the pilot... lol everyone, even Mr. Toomy interested me. My heart was racing toward the end of the story. I've never seen the movie though, I want to now!

message 27: by Chris (new)

Chris (cbrunner11) | 119 comments I just finished this myself and I really enjoyed it for all of the same reasons you all have listed. I wanted to let you all know that I found a DVD copy of this on Blockbuster.com for rent. I have moved it to the top of my list and can't wait to see the movie if it is as good as you all think.

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I'm glad you liked it, Chris! :)

message 29: by Yolo (new) - added it

Yolo Yearwood (mirandaelizeabethyearwood) | 12 comments Awesome! I just watched The Langoliers on Netflix two nights ago (i came across it randomly on Watch Instantly btw) and it was killer :) 3 hours long...i have started reading Four Past Midnight but have it resting while I work on the Stand. However, I can't wait to dig back in to learn more about the characters and to see what parts are different.
Cheers!

Dustin I have never seen The Langoliers mini-series..

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments I haven't seen it either, but I loved the story!

message 32: by Joey (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joey | 9 comments I was not very impressed.

The Langoliers was a great story, but since the movie was basically verbatim I did not enjoy anything new by reading it.

The Secret Window had a lousy ending. I hate it when authors use deus ex machina to finish stories. The movie ending was way better. In fact, I felt that Johnny Depp's dialogue at the end was mocking the original story.

The Library Police turned out to be very stupid and unworthy of my time reading.

The Sundog.... I don't know about it yet.

Gatorman | 561 comments Can't agree with you on the Secret Window or Library Police reviews. What do you consider to be the deus ex machina used in the ending of Secret Story?

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Well, I liked them all.

message 35: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica (veraj121) | 300 comments I liked the Secret Window as a movie. But Langoliers I did not like at all.

message 36: by Joey (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joey | 9 comments GAtorman "Can't agree with you on the Secret Window or Library Police reviews. What do you consider to be the deus ex machina used in the ending of Secret Story?"

SPOILER ALERT:
Don't get me wrong, I am a King fan and I love his stories. I just found that the whole ending with the Sheriff just being poised outside Rainey's home ready to shoot as he came outside to murder his wife with his bare hands to be far fetched. In fact, if I remember right, he WAS unarmed and was shot without so much as a warning.
I simply feel the movie ending made more sense and was more ironic. I enjoyed the Story up until the end. And honestly, a part of me really did not want to see Rainey die and wanted to see him get his revenge against Ted and his wife for the infidelity!lol

Dustin Kathy wrote: "I haven't seen it either, but I loved the story!"

Hi, Kathy-

Yes, the story is great, IMO!

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments Hey, Dustin! :)

message 39: by Gatorman (last edited Jul 07, 2011 06:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gatorman | 561 comments Joe wrote: "GAtorman "Can't agree with you on the Secret Window or Library Police reviews. What do you consider to be the deus ex machina used in the ending of Secret Story?"

SPOILER ALERT:
Don't get me wrong..."

****SPOILER ALERT****

Not to belabor the point,but I went back and reread the ending and it wasn't the sheriff who shot Mort but the insurance agent Evans, he did give Mort two warnings and the epilogue explains why he was there and why he did what he did. After re-reading it, I realized how much I really love that story.

Dustin Hi, Kathy!!:)

How have you been?

message 41: by Grant (new)

Grant Spendlove | 93 comments I wish I had a device I could hook to my belt which could create a time-rip into the past, allow me to step through it (WITHOUT disintegrating, mind), pick up whatever things the cosmos has thrown away, and step back through to the present.

message 42: by Tek (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tek | 95 comments A really great novella, or whatever it is. Probably my favorite of the 4.

message 43: by israelv (new)

israelv | 12 comments One of the best novella by King! The story stays with you!

yoojong | 5 comments One of my favorite short stories by Stephen King. very well written

message 45: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (thewalkingdude) | 231 comments I have to say the Secret Window was my favorite story of the collection, but did like the Langoliers a lot.

yoojong | 5 comments @Gavin Same!!! I really liked secret window and the langoliers the best.

message 47: by H (new) - rated it 4 stars

H Hunt | 98 comments It's all killer, King is incomparable, his tales hav cast sunlight as well as long shadows on my life... A Master

message 48: by James (new)

James Loftus Yes, like just about everything he does, very very good. A born story-teller who can write with a flowing easy to read, literary style.

Do other writers (like me) hate him? No! I've seen him interviewed he is really cool, too. Just a likeable guy, humble, funny, wise.

And for those who haven't read or seen the tv film Langoliers do so, treat yourself.

Latasha (latasha513) | 388 comments I'm currently reading this and wow! is it intense! they are racing to refuel the plane. all I remember about the movie is the thing on the wing. so this has been an amazing and fun read.

Misty | 27 comments I read this story ages ago (listened to it on tape actually while I was working in a very boring accounting job). I loved it. The thing I will always remember is that the first day I started it, I was absolutely hooked. I went home from work that night and had a full-on Langolier nightmare! LOL! It was extremely intense. It's also been some time since I saw the TV version, but I remember really enjoying it. It was odd seeing Bronson Pinchot as the bad guy because I was so used to him on Perfect Strangers, but I think he did a good job. I'm hoping one of my kiddos will read this one, so they can share in my love of the story!

« previous 1