Oly Reads discussion

Assorted & Sundry > Welcome Ahniwa!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Agathafrye (new)

Agathafrye | 751 comments Mod
Heya! Welcome to Oly Reads. Go ahead and introduce yourself while you're here!

message 2: by Ahniwa (new)

Ahniwa Ferrari | 5 comments Ah, and here I was being sneaky! Oh well.

I'm Ahniwa, I'm a librarian at the Washington State Library (in Tumwater) and I live in the NE neighborhood near Friendly Grove.

My reading habits are all over the place, though I mainly stick to fiction. A few of my favorite books include "The Gone-Away World" by Nick Harkaway, "Winter's Tale" by Mark Helprin, "The Power of One" by Bryce Courtenay, and "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card.

I don't know if I'll ever make it to an actual book group discussion, but I'm happy to be here in good company on Goodreads.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 259 comments Mod
Hi Ahniwa! Nice to meet you!

I bike through your neighborhood all the time. And I work at the TRL Service Center, just around the corner from the State Library. We're practically neighbors. :)

message 4: by Ahniwa (new)

Ahniwa Ferrari | 5 comments Nice to meet you, Jackie! We're the house with the lavender fence on Miller; give us a wave the next time you ride by. :)

message 5: by Patty (new)

Patty May (pattymay) | 3 comments welcome! I hope you do join us for a book group sometime... they can be an unruly bunch, but well read!

message 6: by Agathafrye (new)

I don't live too far from there either- I'm a couple of blocks away from the San Francisco St Bakery. Kate lives in our hood too, and kinda Judy and Jon... actually, come to think of it, you probably know both Judy and Kate because they are current and former WSL employees. Anyhow, nice to see you here, sneaky or no. I would comment on the books you mentioned, but I actually haven't read a single one of them (hangs head).

message 7: by Agathafrye (new)

PS- as a techie guy, you'll appreciate the little app that Brian made for goodreads- if you haven't seen it yet, check it out under the "a little something I made for Oly Reads" thread.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 259 comments Mod
I've read Ender's Game and some of the sequels, and they're really good. You should read Ender's Game, Agathafrye.

It won Orson Scott Card the Margaret A. Edwards award, and it got everyone in an uproar because of his other writings about homosexuality, which doesn't come up in Ender's Game at all that I recall - it was all very controversial.

Anyhow, it's an important YA book everyone should know about. :)

message 9: by Ahniwa (new)

Ahniwa Ferrari | 5 comments Two of the books I mentioned are somewhat difficult to read (a bit dense and complicated), and two are fairly easy. If you're interested, I'd start with Ender's Game, which is easily readable in an afternoon, and then The Power of One, which is highly addictive.

If you still think I have good taste after that, try the other two. :)

message 10: by Ahniwa (new)

Ahniwa Ferrari | 5 comments I should also mention that I'm currently addicted to the Bloody Jack series on audiobook, which I've been downloading via Timberland's OverDrive collection. It's a fantastic YA historical fiction series, and is beautifully read.

message 11: by Judy (new)

Judy (jpitchford) | 40 comments Welcome, Ahniwa! You really should join the book group at their (sometimes) monthly meetings. As Agathafrye mentioned, they can be unruly but they are fun. I'm going to "checkout" the Bloody Jack series. I love YA and Historical Fiction. Thanks for mentioning it!

Judy

message 12: by Frances (new)

Frances | 18 comments Hi Ahniwa...welcome!