The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Book Hunting / Recommendations > Looking for new series in mystery area,

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Larry (new)

Larry Kilgore | 6 comments I have read "most" of the current popular authors work, looking for a new series to start. Take a look at my list of books read to get an idea of whom I've read recently.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy How about the Elvis Cole series by Robert Crais or the Jack Swyteck series by James Grippando?

message 3: by Mary (last edited Jun 30, 2010 07:04PM) (new)

Mary (marycrissy) | 18 comments Have you triedFrom Doon with Death: The First Inspector Wexford Novel by Ruth Rendell? It's a good character series.On Beulah Heightby Reginald Hill; Dalziel and Pascoe; love the main characters in this series...

message 4: by Donna, Co-Moderator (last edited Jun 30, 2010 07:39PM) (new)

Donna | 2087 comments Mod
Hi Larry, How about James Lee Burke. His Dave Robicheaux series is very good and begins with The Neon Rain. I recently read Black Cherry Blues: A Dave Robicheaux Novel and it was very good.

PS - I moved this thread to the Book Hunting folder. Glad to have you in the group. Hope we can help you find a new series to enjoy.

message 5: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (last edited Jul 01, 2010 12:02AM) (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) | 2063 comments Mod
Hi Larry!

I've been pushing the "Commissario Montalbano" series by Italian author and screenplay writer Andrea Camilleri.

The Shape of Water is the first, but I thought the second, The Terra-Cotta Dog, was better.

message 6: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2087 comments Mod
Continuing on the international theme how about P D James Adam Dalgliesh series which begins with Cover Her Face. It's set in England and is a bit more on the cerebral side but very good.

If you haven't read the Stieg Larsson Lisbeth Salander series they are terrific, the last 2 have been group reads. If you would like more Scandanavian set books then I recommend Henning Mankell's Kurt Wallander series.

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary (marycrissy) | 18 comments Donna wrote: "Continuing on the international theme how about P D James Adam Dalgliesh series which begins with Cover Her Face. It's set in England and is a bit more on the cerebral ..."

Dalgliesh is great...but of course! It's PD James:>)

message 8: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 302 comments If you aren't aware of it, there's a great e-newsletter for mystery/thriller lovers: SKYM . I'm always finding wonderful new-to-me books and series through it. Not only does the website maintain a database of authors and their work, but it maintains a character database too. I'm sure you can find something tempting that way.

message 9: by Frank (new)

Frank Spinney | 54 comments Larry I looked over your book list and saw that we have a lot of books in common. Here are a few different series to try.
Jan Burke's Irene Kelly series
Clive Cussler - Dirk Pitt series
Alex Kava - Maggie O'Dell Series
James Patterson - Alex Cross Series
Andy McDermott - Eddie Chase Series
Patricia Cornwell - Kay Scarpetta
Kathy Reich- Bones series
Iris Johansen - Eve Duncan Series
John Connolly - Charlie Parker Series

I have plenty more depending on which type of book your looking for. Let me know if I can help.

message 10: by Les (new)

Les Gehman | 7 comments K.B. wrote: "If you aren't aware of it, there's a great e-newsletter for mystery/thriller lovers: SKYM . I'm always finding wonderful new-to-me books and series through it. Not only does the website maintain a ..."

Thanks for the link K.B.! Lots of great information there.

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips KB and Les...I use SYKM almost daily. Another feature is they post series books IN ORDER, which is great if you are a compulsive RIO like I am.

message 12: by Vince (new)

Vince (VChile) | 163 comments Two series I've been enjoying:
Ken Bruen's "Jack Taylor" series which begins with The Guards (Irish noir)
Val McDermid's "Tony Hill" series starting with The Mermaids Singing (Serial killers in Northern England)
These are pretty dark & violent in case that's a concern.

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

On Beulah Height (other topics)
From Doon With Death (other topics)
Black Cherry Blues (other topics)
The Neon Rain (other topics)
The Shape of Water (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

James Lee Burke (other topics)
Andrea Camilleri (other topics)