Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's jejune june

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3078 comments 61 Hours: Lee Child
He's still got it! 14 books featuring Jack Reacher and still fresh and fun to read. This story was high on suspense, we learn early that something will happen nin 61 hours, and the clock never stops ticking. Set in South Dakota in winter, it never gets warm either. (A-)

Storm Prey: John Sanford
When Sanford hits in the Prey series, he hits well, and produces a book of extraordinary entertainment. It took a few pages to get there, but by the end of the book it is firing on all cylinders ("what we have, technically speaking, is jack shit") with all the dialogue and interactions we would expect. The action is there as well, with an urgency as Lucas' wife is the target. (B+)

Broken: Karin Slaughter
It was unusual, to say the least, to hear the author talk about this book before I read it, without her "spoiling" it. Slaughter keeeps up her high standards of mystery and suspense. Sadly, she brings back Lena too. When she said that Lena had grown since her introduction, I think she meant that Lena better appreciates how annoying she is. In spite of Lena, the book establishes some good conflicts, both between people, and within characters trying to determine what moral path they will follow. (A-0

Nowhere to Run: CJ Box
The Joe Pickett series. This series is getting long in the tooth, but there was at least one more story to tell, and this was not too bad. Joe retains his attitudes and biases, the thing that makes him what he is, and once again they stand him into danger and a morally ambiguous situation. Joe may be the only Game warden with a psychotic sidekick too, Nate Romanowski. Joe and Nate go head to head with some mountain men, but Nate feels more of a kind with the mountain men than with Joe, and Joe himself sees where society had harmed the mountain men. In spite of Box's effort, the ending does not leave the best of tastes. (B)

Shoot to Thrill: PJ Tracy
Maybe not as funny as some of the other Monkee Wrench series, but by now the characters are established in our minds, and still manage to act and think in ways we do not always expect. Again, there is a murder spree with a computer angle, and none other than Monkee Wrench is the best to find a solution. (B+)

The Burning Wire: Jeffery Deaver
It is never good to read a book that goes too deeply into your area of expertise. I have worked electric power plants all my life, and this entire story deals with power and its transmission. Deaver plays a bit fast and loose with voltage vs current, and the effect of grounding in allowing the nefarious villain to use electricity as a weapon. Beyond my personal quibbles, the book has much of what you would want in a Lincoln Rhyme book, has maybe one loose end that bothered me, and did not twist as much as some. (B)

13 1/2: Nevada Barr
A stand alone. More of a "which one of them did it" rather than a "who done it" and not her strongest work. If you doubted a murderous streak in Ms. Barr, this book will disabuse you of that doubt. (B-)

Blue Eyed Devil: Robert B Parker
A western. I;m not sure why Parker does these. They lag in quality from his Boston series, and certainly will not be what I remember him for. (B)

Among Thieves: David Hosp
I almost have to say "about time" that I got a true blue lawyer and cop mystery where the bad guys are realy bad, and the good guys range from really good to really bad. Hosp resurrects the IRA to fill the role of the really bad guys, and they play the role well. (B+)

Executive Intent: Dale Brown
Once again, the country is run by lily livered politicians that will give up our strengths and freedoms to the commies, or whatever replaced them. Good thing we have private citizens with high tech private armies that will teach those guys a lesson. (B)

Down to the Wire: David Rosenfelt
A stand-alone. I'll be happy to see him get back to Andy Carpenter. The stand alone gave me real problems with "plausible disbelief". The novel required cops that were stupid, an improbable bad guy with no clear motivation, a series of innocents that had motivations, but not means, and bad decisions at the right junctures by all the characters. (B_)

Whiplash: Dale Brown
There are co-written series by Dale Brown, Steven Coonts and Tom Clancy. I don;t read the Clancy and Coonts ones much because they are about paramilitary spies. The Brown books were always about high tech military gear and adventures, but this book joins the mold of the others. If it does not change, I am through with this series. (B-)

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Great month Barry!

message 3: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Lots of books and great reviews, Barry! I especially appreciate your comments about the Deaver book. I am in total agreement about 61 Hour - it didn't disappoint.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3637 comments I was never able to get into the Reacher books (yes, I know.....there's something SERIOUSLY wrong with me!), but I'm thinking about 61 HOURS. And the new Lucas Davenport. Haven't read one of them in some time. I also started David Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter books this month and really liked the 3 I read.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14728 comments Barry:
Your list looks a lot like my tbr pile, hold list or just finished books! Like Marcy I appreciated your comments on The Burning Wire - I just started it today. As for 13 1/2 - it was almost too creepy!

Barry wrote: "13 1/2: Nevada Barr
A stand alone. More of a "which one of them did it" rather than a "who done it" and not her strongest work. If you doubted a murderous streak in Ms. Barr, this book will disabuse you of that doubt. (B-) "

message 6: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 180 comments Melodie wrote: "I was never able to get into the Reacher books (yes, I know.....there's something SERIOUSLY wrong with me!), but I'm thinking about 61 HOURS. And the new Lucas Davenport. Haven't read one of them..."

I read a few but the last one I read - can't remember which - turned me off them. I needed a break.

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1650 comments Yay Barry! You had a lot of great books this month ;)

message 8: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3078 comments ...Yay Barry! You had a lot of great books this month ;)
I'm glad to be done working 72 hours per week of night shift.

message 9: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1220 comments Melodie wrote: "I was never able to get into the Reacher books (yes, I know.....there's something SERIOUSLY wrong with me!), but I'm thinking about 61 HOURS. And the new Lucas Davenport. Haven't read one of them..."

I did not care for the first Reacher Killing Floor at all but listened to second one Die Trying and liked it a little better. Have not been motivated enough to continue on with the series though.

message 10: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2700 comments Barry wrote: A stand-alone. I'll be happy to see him get back to Andy Carpenter.

I think it must be the agents that talk some of these authors into trying stand-alones which, I find, are rarely as good as their regular characters.