Chicks On Lit discussion

Archive 08-19 GR Discussions > Next Couple of Book Choices

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (fivesunflowers) | 105 comments Both "Hunger Games" and "The Cutting STone" are both not available in any of my libraries within a 35 mile radius! lol .. and I live in San Francisco! They are either all checked out or on holds - must be popular books .. I'll have to wait until August to participate in the book reading/discussions :-(

message 2: by Holli (new)

Holli I'm sorry to hear that.... they must be super popular huh? Wow! You'll just have to get a jump start on the August books then!

message 3: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments Does your library have book downloads? Mine does, you should look into it. I can download books from home onto my computer and read or listen to them from there.

message 4: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (fivesunflowers) | 105 comments U will look into that .. Thanks for the suggestion :-)

message 5: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I think that is the one thing I do NOT miss about living in the Seattle area. Because the library system had a share system with the entire county, when a popular book came out it could be months and months before it came to your turn. Now that we are in a smaller area new books come out and I can usually get my hands on it right away or within a couple of weeks if my library carries it.

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 3 comments I'm new to this group!

Same thing for me, though, I went to the library today and both the Hunger Games and Cutting for Stone were gone. The first time I asked for the Hunger Games, a guy behind the desk immediately said by Suzanne Collins. Then when I went to put the book on reserve, the girl assisting me asked why is this book so popular?? lol I guess I'll find out in a few days/weeks. I was able to get the Glass Castle so I will start on that soon.

message 7: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (crvena_sonja) | 305 comments Yeah, I was really lucky that I won The Hunger Games through Goodreads before it became *super* popular.

For tough library systems, there are a few services online where you can rent library books like Netflix does movies. I think one is called Bookswim. Also, you might be able to find used copies or even new ones for discounted rates at Alibris... Hope this helps!

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 3 comments I'll check it out! Thanks!!

message 9: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 4858 comments I read The Hunger Games and I liked it.