Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Uploading Book Cover Images

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I've been trying to upload a book cover image for a certain book. I tried taking the image from two different sites, saving it, and then uploading it and it keeps saying " Not Valid or Too Large". The book cover image is for a book i wrote called "My Written Thoughts". Where can I get the book cover image that is just the "right" size?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

rivka | 41062 comments Mod
What file format is it? Because I've uploaded some really big images, and they've uploaded and automatically been resized without any problem.

message 3: by Grumpus (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

Grumpus | 18 comments It seemed to come in fine for me...did I get the correct cover? I got the image from Powells.

message 4: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Grumpus-- yes you got the right cover. thank you for doing that. it is greatly appreciated. :)

message 5: by JZ (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

JZ Temple | 2 comments Funny, I've posted a few large images and got an error message. So I've been scanning in as a JPEG with high quality and then using Paint Shop Pro to reduce the size by half in each dimension, which reduces the file size considerably. They seem to upload without a problem.

message 6: by Otis, Chief Architect (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 315 comments Mod
Hey guys,

The max image size is 2MB, if that helps.

Otis

message 7: by Seth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Seth | 12 comments What is the preferred image size? I've been using 110 wide since that matches the "no cover image" pic on the main book page. It looks from some books (Arcology the City in the Image of Man by Paolo Soleri would be a fabulous example) that wider images are supported. Should we favor the maximum or the average? Is the 111x148 of images/nocover-111x148.jpg a magic or preferred size?

message 8: by Otis, Chief Architect (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

We resize the images, so it shouldn't matter what you use. Of course, since it will be resized if its very far off it may not look very good.

message 9: by Darren (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Darren | 6 comments Whilst we're on the subject of images, i've noticed that the following book 1857230760 Eye of the World by Robert Jordan has a ?discrepancy? with the book image. When I click on the thumbnail image in the book view, the enlarged image is a different one, which isn't listed in the group of thumbnails on the page http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11....

I'm not sure how this would be fixed.

Darren

message 10: by Otis, Chief Architect (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

Darren,

You've discovered a little hack, which is that the full-size covers come directly from Amazon, and the small covers are cached on Goodreads. Looks like they got out of synch on that book. Its a problem we're planning to address (someday) soon.