SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Adrian Phoenix
This topic is about Adrian Phoenix
Series and Authors We ❤ > Adrian Phoenix

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Apr 01, 2013 06:53PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29108 comments Adrian's series "Maker's Song" is very unique and a must-read for all UF fans!

SERIES BY ADRIAN PHOENIX

Maker's Song Series

A Rush of Wings (The Maker's Song, #1) by Adrian Phoenix In the Blood (The Maker's Song, #2) by Adrian Phoenix Beneath the Skin (The Maker's Song, #3) by Adrian Phoenix Etched in Bone (The Maker's Song, #4) by Adrian Phoenix On Midnight Wings (The Maker's Song, #5) by Adrian Phoenix

Hoodoo Series

Black Dust Mambo (Hoodoo, #1) by Adrian Phoenix Black Heart Loa (Hoodoo, #2) by Adrian Phoenix Caught Forever Between (Hoodoo, #2.5) by Adrian Phoenix

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 82 comments Aww, I love Adrian Phoenix and her Maker's Song series. My copy of Black Dust Mambo arrived in the post yesterday, but as I have to work today, there's no way I'll be able to chat about it this evening. =)

message 3: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29108 comments I haven't ordered mine ... I've not yet ordered my June releases :( I'm anxious to read her new one though.

Yeah, I RSVP'd "maybe", but seriously with the time differences it's been a hassle trying to join in on BBB's chats. Oh well. Least we can hope over after the fact and see what she had to say.

message 4: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29108 comments Grab the first chapter of Black Dust Mambo offered for free by Adrian :)

message 5: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Jul 02, 2010 03:25AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29108 comments **MINOR SPOILER: SNIPPET FROM "Maker's Song" #4

Q&A with Adrian Phoenix @ BBB
(just a few snippets below, find the full Q&A @ Bitten by Books' site)

Q: "Will you add to the Dante and Heather books are they just a rest for now?"
A: "No rest for D&H. *grins* More Dante and Heather books are on the way! Etched in Bone, Book Four, will be out early in 2011, with more books to follow."

Q: ..."of course am anxiously awaiting more on dante, heather, lucien, von in your maker series…."
A: "Here’s a little teaser for Etched in Bone, Book Four of The Maker’s Song:

Ain’t. Running. And I sure as hell ain’t hiding.

But that vow brings consequences that Dante Baptiste–True Blood vampire, Fallen Maker, rock musician–never imagined even as it brings him face to face with those hunting him and his lover, former FBI agent, Heather Wallace; the covert Shadow Branch, the vampire Cercle de Druide, and rogue assassins. And now that the Fallen have finally discovered their long-awaited Maker, they have no intention of letting him walk away.

As Dante Fights to claim his life as his own, while dealing with the awakened and shattered memories of his brutal past, an unexpected enemy arises from within Heather’s family; an enemy who nearly destroys Dante by stealing the one person who keeps him balanced–Heather.

All worlds–mortal, nightkind, and Fallen–hang in the balance as Dante searches for Heather. And his success or failure will determine whether he becomes the Never-Ending Road or the Great Destroyer.
"

Q: "Did you have to do a lot of research for your new series?"
A: "Yes, I did do a lot of research for the series. I read a ton of books on hoodoo and voodoo, learned the differences between them, and about hoodoo’s cultural significance to the South, and even bought herbs and powders and oils from Lucky Mojo (hoodoo and occult supplier and teacher) and learned a few things hands-on for Kallie."

Q: "how many books do you have planned for this series? and did you have any input for the cover? it’s awesome!"
A: "I have five books planned for the series so far and will have no problem coming up with more adventures for Kallie and her friends.

The cover *is* awesome (art by Steve Stone). I was asked for background ideas, and what I suggested - the swamp, shack, blue bottles hanging from the tree for luck–are all on the cover!"

Q: "Was BDM easier or harder to write than the Maker’s Song series? Or were they two totally different experiences? "
A: "BDM was easier to write simply because I didn’t have to remember the back story from previous books. LOL! Plus there were fewer plotlines than in The Maker’s Song. But I enjoy writing both."

Q: "Hoodoo? What? Hello! Hahah I never heard of hoodoo. Will you mind explaining it to me? An author and expert’s explanations are easier. Did I read a Juju somewhere in there?"
A: "Hoodoo’s been around a long time, actually. The main difference between voodoo and hoodoo is that Voodoo is a religion, with priestesses (mambos), priests (houngans) and devoted practitioners who participate in ceremonies to summon the loa (natural spirits and those of the dead), while Hoodoo is a system of folk magic following the same belief system as Voodoo, including the same gods/loas/saints.

With hoodoo, there are no priests or priestesses or ceremonies, just root doctors and root workers (also known as conjurers) working out of their homes and/or botanicas. Root doctors/root workers are consulted by members of their neighborhoods and communities for spells/cures/potions when ill (or feeling a tad cursed or full of bad luck) as often as a person would visit the local pharmacy. 

Laying tricks and foot magic, breaking/making hexes, creating natural medicines and cures for illnesses of all kinds–heart, body, and soul.

Poppets (voodoo dolls) are made for positive purposes as well as negative. To keep love and passion alive, to disperse negative energy and draw in positive. Candle magic. Divination with cards and shells and bones. 

Yup. Juju. Magic. Gris gris."

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 1193 comments have the book on my TBR Shelf

message 7: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29108 comments Next Hoodoo book announced!
Black Heart Loa is due out in July 2011

Here's the teaser from her site:
"While searching for her missing bayou-pirate cousin, Kallie Riviere, a fiery Cajun hoodoo apprentice with a talent for trouble, finds out the hard way that someone’s undoing powerful gris gris down in the bayou and changing the very nature of magic. Suddenly working magic is like rolling a handful of dice—random and definitely not what you planned.

Now the wards woven by conjurers to protect New Orleans and the Gulf coast are in danger of unraveling, leaving the city and the coastline vulnerable just as the deadliest storm—an unnatural storm—in a century is born. And aims for the heart of New Orleans.

As Kallie races to uncover the random magic’s source and restore the wards, she learns a dark and unsettling truth: she might be the source. And she and everyone close to her—including a certain sexy nomad who can wear wet boxers like no other man—are being hunted.

Then Kallie steps right into the most dangerous trap of all, a trap set just for her in the form of a tall, dark, and grumpy loup garou designed to steal her heart. Literally."