Wellspring Prep Reads! discussion

The outsiders

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeffrey (last edited Jun 29, 2010 12:08PM) (new)

Jeffrey Hilliard | 3 comments My overall impression of this book is that it is very interesting and gives vivid detail about all the characters in the book, the things I enjoyed about the plot was that the writer explained it very well and made it visual to the reader. The writer explained how divided the two groups were and how different their enviroment was. I enjoyed the message of the book because it talked about the separation of two groups because of their life styles and their backgrounds. The style of the book shows how loyal and devoted the members of the groups were to protect each other and make sure everyone is safe. The characters in the book were loyal to their group and were willing to fight for them also showed their hatred of each other. The ending was sad because of what had happened between ponyboy Curtis and Johnny Cade. After what had happened when they rescuing the children from the burning church and johnnys subsequent death as a result of injuries sustained in the rescue. But Johnny ends by advocating against gang violence, stating that he would gladly sacrifice his life for the lives of little children. At the end ponyboy decides to write the story that becomes The Outsiders ensures that Johnny’s bravery will not be forgotten. I would recommend this book to young adults that enjoy reading books that have adventures and relate to events that go on in the world. Also this book describes and gives detail about the separation that goes on in the book and how it caused more conflict. A question I have on this book is if the two groups every stopped hated each other or became one group.

message 2: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Caldwell | 3 comments i felt the same way Jeff

message 3: by Corey (new)

Corey Lloyd | 6 comments My overall impression of the Book was that it is a lot like our life today. It showed the different lives that people may have had, not just our own and the differences about how people deal with what they have to live with. I liked how the author showed the ways of the two groups of people and about how they thought of each other. The conflict in the book keeps you on your feet throughout the entire thing, and keeps you hooked until the very last page. The friendships in this book really show the way others can connect to their friends. As Jeff said, "The style of the book shows how loyal and devoted the members of the groups were to protect each other and make sure everyone is safe." I thought that was a very good way of putting the point. The Characters kind of remind me of some of my friends I have. We stick up for one another and give to each other if we can like the 'gang' in the Outsiders. I thought the ending was a great end, but I was really upset when Johnny and Dallas died. I think it was cool how Johnny died to save others, and he is one of my favorite characters for it. By far, my favorite character is Sodapop. This is beacuse Soda has a sense of humor and really cares about the people around him.
When Johnny Died, PonyBoy Curtis wrote a book about his story so that Johnny could be remembered forever for what he did. I would recommend this book to other people that are in high school and late middleschool, who like action and stories that will keep you on your toes until the last second.