Comfort Reads discussion

Community > Anyone on paperbackswap?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I would love to add anyone to my friends list there if you are interested. I'm Christine B. "Plumfan"

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue (sueb50) I don't have a lot of paperbacks but I'll sign up anyway.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

It's a great no-pressure site. If you join, please feel free to ask me for help. I've been trading there for years now.

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue (sueb50) How do I join?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

http://www.paperbackswap.com

It doesn't cost anything. You get a credit every time that you send out a book. When you order a book, you use a credit. The only cost is postage when you mail a book out, but you don't pay postage for books that you order.

Setting up a wishlist is key. That puts you in line for things that aren't posted yet. You don't have to order them when it's your turn, but you get the choice.

message 6: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) Sounds like a great idea, but not for non-USA residents!

message 7: by Dara S. (new)

Dara S. (dara85) Book Mooch is the way to go for non-USA residents. I have belonged to both and love Book Mooch!

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura | 294 comments Dara wrote: "Book Mooch is the way to go for non-USA residents. I have belonged to both and love Book Mooch!"

I am a big fan of BM Dara.

message 9: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Me too! It took me a while to get the hang of it though. At the beginning I couldn't understand why I couldn't mooch books, but then figured out that some people blocked their books for overseas mooching... was really unlucky at first and all of the books I wanted I couldn't get.

But now I couldn't live without it!

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura | 294 comments Hayes wrote: "Me too! It took me a while to get the hang of it though. At the beginning I couldn't understand why I couldn't mooch books, but then figured out that some people blocked their books for overseas mo..."

I agree Hayes and I don't mind to send my books overseas, on the contrary.

message 11: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 6 comments I love Bookmooch. I recently joined on Paperback swap but get more traffic on Bookmooch.

message 12: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) I just signed up for PBS & look forward to getting some books. Am trying to get my 1st 10 books posted. My problem is that I've been donating as fast as I read them so don't have many on hand.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

PBS works well for me because I am too slow to mooch well. I have been on PBS for five years now and still use it regularly.

message 14: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) It looks like something that will work out well for me.

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) I realize that this was last updated 2 years ago, but because of this thread I went and joined PBS and posted 20 books that have just been sitting around collecting dust. So thanks to the OP for showing me something new :)

message 16: by Autumn (new)

Autumn   (sweetdenial) | 6 comments Oh wow this is exactly was I was looking for. I`ve got more than 100 books to give away. I can swap them for more books :) . Thanks for the info.

message 17: by Luda (new)

Luda | 2 comments Thanks for the information, been looking for this for ages!

message 18: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) Thanks for reviving the thread! I've been on PBS for … ages – I'm Tracey S. (Aerlinn). (Just added you to my friend list, CA!) I recently cleared my shelf because some of the books have gone to a local used bookstore, but I'll be posting a bunch of books again soon.

I used Bookmooch for a while, but there were a few things that drove me away. One was that there's simply a smaller selection – and every time I would get an email saying a wishlist book was available, I would rush to the site to request it only to get the message that it was reserved for someone else. Every time. Another was that, unfortunately, I couldn't afford to send books overseas, and I had a few people get kind of vicious about it. I was a little shocked at their reactions – "can't" isn't the same as "could if I wanted to but hate you so won't", but from the way people messaged me you'd think I had insulted their countries. One man from Australia – with whom I'd actually exchanged some civil messages last year when he wanted a book of mine, and who seemed to get the "I don't have the money" concept – waited over a year and then recently left a negative comment on Bookmooch about the transaction. That was when I deleted my profile. I wasn't too thrilled with the way the site was run, either; it seems to be a little like GR, with one guy sort of calling all the shots, but at least GR's Otis seems a bit better organized.

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) Tracey, that is EXACTLY why I left BookMooch a few years ago, as well. I tried to ship overseas when I could, but it is so very expensive sometimes. I would always apologize sincerely and was shocked when more people than not got nasty and angry to me. Smaller reasons I left were that I didn't like the site's layout, functionality or people.. ;) Just joined PBS a few days ago and I like it so far but I don't know what my username on there is or I'd post it for people, haha.

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) Unfortunately yes, Julia. PBS is currently only within the US postal address system. BookMooch is great for international :)

message 21: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) Tiffani wrote: "Tracey, that is EXACTLY why I left BookMooch a few years ago, as well...."

I'm sorry you had that experience - but glad it wasn't just me, if you know what I mean. :)

And welcome to the group!

╟ ♫ Tima ♪ ╣ ♥ (tsunanisaurus) I know just what ya mean and thanks very much, Tracey! =)

message 23: by Susan (last edited Oct 03, 2015 05:28PM) (new)

Susan Im on as susandyer1962......i have a ton of books to list and need to do that asap!!

message 24: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 24 comments deleted user wrote: "I would love to add anyone to my friends list there if you are interested. I'm Christine B. "Plumfan""

Hi Christine, Back in the early days, GoodReads had a bookswap set up that I just loved! You'd put books for give-away or trade on the site and then, if desired, the person who wanted them would pay for shipping through GR and you'd send the book(s) off. I sent probably 20 books off to other readers this way. I was VERY disappointed when they stopped this! I'd love to trade /send on good books I've read. Count me in and let me know how and if this idea takes off! Thanks, Sandy

message 25: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 24 comments Sadly, this idea has obviously not 'taken off' again, as I noted before that I hoped it might do.... A drag from my standpoint.