SDMB - Straight Dope discussion

Anyone read anything about Canadian history?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cassa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

Cassa | 38 comments I'm looking to read up on Canadian history, and was hoping someone might have some sort of recommendations for books I could try. I'm American, so I don't recall getting much of anything regarding history up North outside something about fur trading, and that was way back in the day. I'm also a terrible history student, so the juicier and more interesting the better; I'm more likely to stick to a book about the social aspects and "daily life" sort of thing than a recitation of wars and historical documents and papers.

Thanks in advance! :)

message 2: by liirogue (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

liirogue | 4 comments Hah, I was actually coming here to post the exact same thing! I haven't played around with this site much yet, but trying to get recommendations on Canadian history seemed like a good place to start.

message 3: by Dani (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:22PM) (new)

Dani (kakwik) | 48 comments How about a book like "Beauty Tips From Moosejaw"? The author meanders around to some interesting places in Canada and covers a bit of history of the areas he visits.

message 4: by Cassa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:22PM) (new)

Cassa | 38 comments Sounds like a good place to start, Kakwik. Thanks! I'll start looking around for it.