The Mighty Pen Writing Club discussion

The Lounge > From books to movies. eeeern. rejected

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, well, we have all seen movies which were, shall we say, not what we expected? The book was completely changed, etc, etc?
It doesn't matter whether you've read the book first or seen the movie. As long as you have done both.
:)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

On my part, I have to say "Eragon" and "Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief".
Ok, about Percy Jackson, I first saw the movie and I freaked. Because I happen to have studied a tinsy winsy bit of mythology as a kid and the distortion of a few myths was surreal. I was like "Hit me baby one more time" (just let that one be the last). BUT the books are pretty awesome! I am addicted!!
Also, Eragon, I believe people who have read the book understand, and so, no further discussion...
I think I'd come up with more if I had more time to think about it.
:)

message 3: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess The worst adaption. Ever?

Surprise surprise: its NEW MOON. Not only was it the worst adaption ive ever seen, but its possibly one of the worst films ever made.
-AWFUL. AWFUL AWFUL script
-Absolutely shocking acting
-atrociously directed
-BORRRRING! The book was actually fascinating, but the movie. Sh*t. I almost fell asleep it was so baddddd.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Ha! didn't watch it! My friends said it completely utterly destroyed the book! So I saved my time...

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

That bad huh?

message 6: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess dont watch it. Ever.
Even if youre paid to do so.
It is despicably, utterly awful.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

ouch. got the picture

message 8: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess yes. Definitely

I cant imagine my own characters anymore :(

message 9: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess Agreed.
I cringe at the thought of the movies. Those awful, awful excuses for money making.
How do people like them?

Yeah, The Harry Potter movies were actually pretty good! I enjoy them, and am not embarrassed to admit that.

message 10: by Jess (last edited Jun 26, 2010 01:51PM) (new)

Jess | 104 comments Haha, I promise I'm not playing devil's advocate here....
Actually, I like New Moon. It's wayyyyy better than Twilight. That doesn't mean it's anywhere near the book, but it's fun to watch. I dunno, compared to Ella Enchanted it's downright amazing. haha
Let's see, I actually don't like the third Harry Potter movie. I felt like they cut out stuff that wouldn't have been hard to put in. For example, the whole animagus angle? Spend less time on the changing of the seasons and more on the story please!

Eragon's the really sad one because I found the pacing in the book slow and a movie usually picks up the speed. I think it could have been better than the book, but it totally wasn't. The only reasons I liked it were Eragon and Murtag, and I just thought they were cute.

I haven't actually seen this one, but read the plot on wiki and the movie The Seeker (based off the book The Dark Is Rising) seems terrible! It's not even in the same place or time!!!!!!! Sheesh! Also, what's with the need to make 11 year olds fall in love? There wasn't even any romance in that book!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Haven't watched (or read ) Ella Enchanted
Agree about HP3. About the Eragon too (that i like the movie because Eragon and Murtang were cuties). As for the Seeker, I enjoyed the movie but haven't read the books so no opinion there either...

message 12: by Jess (new)

Jess | 104 comments Haha, my sister saw and she said it was good. Then she started describing what happened. I think the names and the fact he's an Old One and the sign seeker were the only things that were the same. The signs certainly weren't...

message 13: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess Really? I thought TWILIGHT in all its terribleness was *way* better then NEW MOON. But then again, they are both atrocious.

BUt then again, I thought HP3 was the best HP films.
Probably because when i saw it, i hadnt read the book for a good couple of years, so i was just watching is as a film, not relating back to the book)

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) I think New Moon was better than Twilight because
1) they had more $$$$$ to spend, so it didn't look like a crappy indy film
2) Chris Weitz is THE MAN and that girl chick director is crappy and weird (I still want to barf when I remember what she wore to the MTV movie awards). But Weitz did About a Boy for goodness sake! Better director
3) more Taylor. Now personally, as far as cute-boys-who-were-born-in-1992-oh-my-Mrs-Robinson-gosh, I prefer widdle Logan Lerman, but still, Taylor's been around longer and is a much better actor than weirdo Rob Pattinson. And Pattinson being absent for half the movie was certainly a plus :P

And for some reason, we're going to see Eclipse Thursday night. There won't be a PJ trailer for me to look forward to this time...but maybe they'll show a trailer for Despicable Me? That show looks hilarious.

message 15: by Jess (new)

Jess | 104 comments Well, the whole werewolf in HP3 was sooooooo bad. In the movie, I mean, that thing looked soooooooo terrible. Something New Moon did way better than HP :)

message 16: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess Well, of course HP3 was made about 5/6 years earlier, so technology grew *so much* in that time.
Its unfair to compare special effects really, considering the time difference. It doesnt seem like lots of time, but so much improvement was made on the available tech.

And im not gonna lie. Taylor..... yes! They should sack Kristen and Rob, and make it the Taylor show :)
Id go to see that.
And Rob Pattinson.
He looked. So. Ugly. in NEW MOON. Especially the scene at teh end, when he took of his shirt. Ew.

And Despicable Me looks soooooooooooo good! cant wait to see that.
Speaking of animated films, i saw Toy Story 3 yesterday. It is amazing!!!!!!!!!! you have to see it!!! Its the best film ive seen in a long time!

message 17: by Jess (new)

Jess | 104 comments Hey, that's no excuse. Look at the effects in LOTR. Lupin looked more like Gollum than a werewolf.

message 18: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess Well, good effects or not, NEW MOON is a bad movie.
Wether or not its better then TWILIGHT, some agree or disagree, though most people will agree that NEW MOON is a rubbish film. And in my opinion, it is a disgrace to the books, and embarrassing for the actors.

message 19: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess And thanks for sharing that info, Regan.

message 20: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess hahaha :D

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) uhmmm ew. :P

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) hahaha, exploitation!
My feeling is at least Taylor looks *healthy*
Rob could do to tag along to the gym with him :)

message 23: by Jess (new)

Jess | 104 comments Amelia (Imagination in Focus) wrote: "hahaha, exploitation!
My feeling is at least Taylor looks *healthy*
Rob could do to tag along to the gym with him :)"

Hahaha, way funny. My sister says he should go to the tanning salon too...
I LOVE Jackson Rathbone!!!!!!!! Yay, he's Sokka in Avatar: the Last Airbender. I'm sorta geeking out about that movie...

message 24: by Jess (new)

Jess | 104 comments You don't like Dev Patel? I heard he was super good in Slumdog.

message 25: by Jess (new)

Jess | 104 comments Jillian -always aspiring- wrote: "Dev Patel MADE that movie Slumdog Millionaire so great. :) (The "love waits and thrives" aspect/theme was great in the movie as well.)"

Lucky! I haven't seen it 'cause I don't watch R movies, but my college was doing a showing of the clean version and I MISSED IT!!!! Yeah, still kicking my self for that one.

I saw Airbender yesterday and I LOVED some things and wasn't pleased with others. I thought visually it was gorgeous, the bending was great and Sokka (AAAAAAAAAAAA I'm quickly gaining the biggest crush on Jackson Rathbone!!!!) and Zuko were fantastic. What I didn't like was the episodic storyline. Did NOT flow together. Which is a real shame, because I feel like it could have been amazing and fell short. I did like it, though, so not too many complaints. I heard Noah was a terrible actor, but I disagree. I didn't think he was great, but I didn't think he was that bad. (Oh, and Dev did great with the whole "gain my honor, make dad take me back" theme.)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Jillian -always aspiring- wrote: "Amelia (Imagination in Focus) wrote: "I think New Moon was better than Twilight because
1) they had more $$$$$ to spend, so it didn't look like a crappy indy film
2) Chris Weitz is THE MAN and t..."

Mmmmm, my friend tried to drag me along to watch "Eclipse" but I was like "Uh, I haven't seen N. M. yet. No way am I paying 10 euros (1 fiftht of my monthly pocket money) for "Eclipse". Waiting for the dvd..."
XD

message 27: by Jo (new)

Jo I thought Eclipse was good. A lot more convincing than the other movies.

message 28: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess Maybe I should see it in the cinema? I dunno, the first two were atrocious.

message 29: by Jo (new)

Jo I think it's the best one so far.

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) ECLIPSE was pretty good. I'm just kinda getting tired of all the hype. Girls screaming every time Taylor came into a scene got really annoying.

message 31: by Jess (new)

Jess | 104 comments Jillian -always aspiring- wrote: "My verdict on Eclipse: Oh my goodness, I loved it ever so much. :D The action scenes were wonderful, and -- though the scenes with the "romance" were a bit eye-roll-worthy -- I can easily say tha..."
He'd better do more stuff! I'm sad Jasper's not in BD that much...I'll miss my Jackson

Amelia (Imagination in Focus) wrote: "ECLIPSE was pretty good. I'm just kinda getting tired of all the hype. Girls screaming every time Taylor came into a scene got really annoying."

I'm pretty sure I'm Team Jasper now....haha, I LOVED Jackson's performance!!!!!!!!!!!!! (In case you can't tell)

message 32: by Jo (new)

Jo There was no screaming when i went either, luckily!

message 33: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess I think the second was one of the best. DEFINATLEY!
The first was good too.
Chris Columbus was so darn magical!

The third was very enjoyable (as a film) too.

message 34: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess Your online!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I sent you a message :)

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Jillian -always aspiring- wrote: "Oh my gods and goddesses -- I just finished watching Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief, and. . .EPIC FAIL. I kid you not, I could not stand 80% of the movie. I thought Twiligh..."

Yep. Agree completelly and utterly. I freaked with the movie BEFORE I read the books... And that says A LOT.
Yeah, Eragon was hopeless...

Hasn't anyone watched "Beastly" I thought it was out by now...

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

AW COME ON! It was the only movie that I looked forward to! Brrrr

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

oh charlie st cloud was good though!!!! showed a little too much of the movie in the commercials though which kinda ruined it but it was still super good!!!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, me too. It seems *awesome*!!!

message 39: by Lope (new)

Lope Alkyoni ~ Kingfisher of books wrote: "AW COME ON! It was the only movie that I looked forward to! Brrrr"
me too.i can't wait to watch that movie...

message 40: by Lope (new)

Lope Amber wrote: "Oh I haven't been to the omives in *forever*. I need to see INCEPTION."
i already watched that movie.the story little bit heavy,there are some part i couldn't really understand.but i think you must watch it,coz that movie is so awesome :-)

message 41: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess INCEPTION is not really that hard to understand. it makes perfect sense to me (but then again, ive seen it twice)
It is still incredible!

Im going to watch the film version ofStephen King's Misery.
Hopefully its is as good as the book.
If you are my 'friend' you could read my review of the book, seeing how high my praise for it is.

message 42: by Lope (new)

Lope i already add you..pls accept me be your friend :-)

message 43: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess me?

message 44: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess how come?

message 45: by Hope (new)

Hope (heyhopeful) | 42 comments Inception pwns. As you can see from my profile pic, I loved it. :3

message 46: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess Hope wrote: "Inception pwns. As you can see from my profile pic, I loved it. :3"

INCEPTION is soooooooo good!!!!

message 47: by Lope (new)

Lope sometimes, i can't believe someone can be so arrogant...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Misery (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephen King (other topics)