Amazon Kindle discussion

Free Kindle thriller plus $1

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (new)

Jon Spoelstra (findjon) | 14 comments I want to nudge my novel, RED CHASER, into the viral world a bit. To do that, I need, of course, more readers. Like you. So, I would like you to read my novel Red Chaser. I’ll provide a free copy, plus a bonus.

RED CHASER is a noir thriller of the 1950s, the Cold War and the Brooklyn Dodgers. (There are 34 reviews of it on Amazon.com: 18 5-star ratings, 15 4-stars, one 3-star). I think you’ll have fun reading this.

If you want to read it for free (and you get a buck*), just email me at findjon@msn.com and say, “Yes, I’d like to read Red Chaser.” I'll have Amazon email you the gift card for Red Chaser.

* Red Chaser is a Kindle book. I'll have Amazon email you a gift certificate. The smallest gift certificate at Amazon is $5, so after you download Red Chaser for $3.99, you'll have a buck and a penny in change. Spend it wisely!

Jon
findjon@msn.com

message 2: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments Jon is serious about this offer ... I know because I took him up on it a couple of months ago. AND the book is an entertaining read! C'mon people! Spend Jon's money!!

message 3: by Eric_W (new)

Eric_W (ericw) Or better yet, just pay the $3.99. My goodness, that's plenty cheap. I'm about 2/3rds of the way through. It's very entertaining and better than much of the more expensive stuff out there. You will not regret having spent the money.

message 4: by Jon (new)

Jon Spoelstra (findjon) | 14 comments Sue--

I got your email Friday afternoon (took the weekend off from writing and my computer) and had Amazon email you the $5 gift card on Monday afternoon.

I usually turn these around within two working days, unless I'm traveling.

Jon

message 5: by Jon (new)

Jon Spoelstra (findjon) | 14 comments Here are two recent 5-star Reader Reviews of Red Chaser on Amazon:

***** Has it all!, June 27, 2010
By MysteryFan (MACUNGIE, PA USA)

What a fun read! Great story, interesting and likable characters. Enjoyed the time period, having lived it brought back many memories - especially listening to baseball games on the radio. Spies, baseball, red scare, Korean police action and some detecting to boot. Buy and enjoy. Will pick up the sequel, hope for a series.

***** Outstanding!, June 27, 2010
By J. B. Sullivan (spring Hill, FL)

What a fun book. Spies, a hero to like, babes, bad guys, murder and some mayhem. What's not to like. Spoelstra weaves all this into a good story.You will be entertained from start to finish.The story line is outlined much better than I can elsewhere in these reviews.

I must say, however that as a Brooklynite born and raised, I found some of the narrative nostalgic.
Additionally, the time frame in which the story takes place was a time when I was just finishing paratrooper training at Fort Benning, Georgia before shipping out to Korea. I urge anyone who reads for pleasure to read this book. You will not be disappointed.

There are 37 Reader Reviews on Amazon (20 5-star ratings, 16 4-star, one 3-star.)

To see all of them, use the following link:

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Chaser/dp/B...

message 6: by Zach (new)

Zach (sleptlate) | 5 comments I have to think there's a silent majority that doesn't like this book but that is too nice to tell Mr. Spoelstra after he bought them a copy. I almost joined them, but after seeing the balance of reviews decided to voice my opinion.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I don't know how you value your time; for me, the $1 I was paid to read this book was not worth it.

Mr. Spoelstra, I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but it seems to me that the glowing reviews of your novel have more to do with the psychology of reciprocity than with the writing. If you want *honest* feedback, rather than just positive feedback, I would track down the people for whom you bought a copy but that have not reviewed the book.

message 7: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I've gotten and reviewed a number of 'free for review' books through goodreads, and I do my best to be honest about my reviews. I don't gush over something just because it came as a freebie. I meant the 4-stars I gave Jon for this book. Well, 3.5. I rounded up. Had I enjoyed the book less I would have rounded down.

message 8: by Zach (new)

Zach (sleptlate) | 5 comments stormhawk wrote: "I've gotten and reviewed a number of 'free for review' books through goodreads, and I do my best to be honest about my reviews. I don't gush over something just because it came as a freebie.

To be clear, I'm not calling any of the reviews dishonest (except for the few I read that obviously hadn't even finished the book). My conjecture is that people with negative opinions are keeping their mouths (mostly) shut.

message 9: by Al (new)

Al | 11 comments Zach wrote: "I have to think there's a silent majority that doesn't like this book but that is too nice to tell Mr. Spoelstra after he bought them a copy. I almost joined them, but after seeing the balance of ..."

I'm still in the process of reading the book so I'm not ready to write my own review yet. I like the book and anticipate giving it a good review. That doesn't mean some of your complaints don't have merit.

But if you were aiming for complete honesty why pick the section you did to quote? You admit it doesn't illustrate many of the faults you have with the writing. Out of context it appears to be a section meant to titilate. IMO it's purpose is exactly the opposite. This almost clinical recitation of what Jake saw in the Ice Queen's bedroom is the first of several scenes that are a turning point in the book. Jake's opinion of the Ice Queen and what he's gotten himself into make a drastic change starting right here. Had this scene been done differently it could have had an entirely different effect. IMO the scene was written this way for a reason.