SDMB - Straight Dope discussion

The English Passengers

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by rockle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

rockle | 3 comments I see that several of us (well, several of you) have read "The English Passengers" and rated it highly. I have to somewhere but haven't finished it yet -- does it get better than it starts? I have only been able to get a few pages in before I give up out of boredom. Should I keep plodding? Please advise.

Thanks!

message 2: by Pam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:22PM) (new)

Pam | 87 comments I liked it from the start, but then I really like historicals. It also helped that Twicks and Koe said the book had funny bits -- historicals aren't usually funny. So if they hadn't mentioned the humor, I might have thought the humor was unintentional, and I might have just thought the book was frivolous and silly.

If you don't like historicals, or if you think historicals should be serious ponderings, then you might not like Passengers.

I'd like to read it again but I can't remember who I loaned it to, dammit.

message 3: by rockle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:23PM) (new)

rockle | 3 comments I like historicals. Perhaps I was not in the right frame of mind at the time. I will definitely give it another try.

message 4: by Smokinjbc (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Smokinjbc | 12 comments I'm about 200 pages in and I have a strong feeling this will be my new favorite book soon. I love Capt. Illium... the other narrators are interesting too but he's so sarcastic and hopeful at the same time. I am imagining the movie already with James Purefoy (Marc Anthony from HBO's Rome) as Capt. Illium. I want to have his babies !

Ok.. I just realized that I may have just shed chick lit light on the book by that last comment, but its really solid historical fiction VBG.

message 5: by Dani (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:36PM) (new)

Dani (Kakwik) | 48 comments This thread inspired me to add it to my next Amazon order AND bump it to the top of the 'to read' pile. I'm a sucker for books set on boats.

message 6: by Jodi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

Jodi | 6 comments . . . Adding it to me "to read" pile as well . . .

message 7: by Pam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:37PM) (new)

Pam | 87 comments Koe was kind enough to send me a copy via Paperbackswap -- if I can run down my other copy (loaned out and maybe lost), there'll be an extra, and I'll put it on the swap shelf.

That's not to discourage anyone from buying it -- the book is worth it.