I Love Canadian Authors discussion

Goodreads' Authors CDN > Author Q&A: Fran Lewis

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee (last edited Jun 25, 2010 09:30AM) (new)

Renee (rjmiller) | 419 comments Mod
Again, my deepest apologies for posting this so late. Everyone welcome Fran Lewis to our weekly author Q&A. Fran is the author of Bertha Speaks Out by Fran Lewis Memories are Precious Alzheimer's Journey Ruth's Story by Fran Lewis My Name is Bertha by Fran Lewis Uncut unedited straight from the hip From the Complaint Desk of Fran Lewis I speak the truth You need to Hear It! (UNCUT AND UNEDITED ) by Fran Lewis

Phew! Did I get those right? I hope so. I can always edit if I didn't.

So Fran, say hello to the nice folks and let's begin the questions.

message 2: by Gregg (new)

Gregg Seeley (greggwerks) | 38 comments Hi Fran, So good to see your name in lights here on Goodreads, Tell me The Bertha Series is this somewhat autobiographical?

message 3: by Fran (new)

Fran | 18 comments Hi there Gregg
Glad to see you too!
The books are autobiographical. You are so right. I wrote these books to teach children and adults picking on someone who is overweight and not able to do sports is wrong. I also wrote these books to teach children tolerance and understanding and how Bertha used her mind, intelligence and of course sense of humor to handle everyday situations kids face today. Memories are Precious is my mom's story. You can read and hear her voice as she tells the reader about her journey into the world of someone with Alzheimer's. It is also a resource for anyone that needs help with homecare for a loved one. Thanks Gregg Fran

message 4: by Erma (new)

Erma Odrach | 183 comments Memories are Precious: Alzheimer's Journey: Ruth's Storymust have been a very difficult and emotional book for you to write. Did it in some ways help you come to terms with it all and heal?

message 5: by Fran (new)

Fran | 18 comments It is really hard to deal with this illness on a daily basis. But, I have learned to handle each situation as it comes up. My mom is at home with care. I would never place her in any facility. The aides she has are amazing. Everyone speaks to her as if she understands what they are saying and most of the time she does. She does not speak that often but when she does you know that she is still there. I have a sense of humor and have learned to rely on that when difficult situations come up. I truly hope that someday there is a cure for this dreaded illness and no one has to deal with it. My mom was a force to be reckoned with and had a strong personality. She as many say is the glue that kept it all together. I guess it's my turn. Writing this book helped me to enlighten others and my family to understand the illness and help others deal with it too. Thanks for the question. fran

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 55 comments thats very inspiring to write your moms story. Kudos for wriitng the bertha series as well. A sense of humor helps in any situation and keeps us sane in the hard times.

message 7: by Fran (new)

Fran | 18 comments thanks for the support fran

message 8: by Debra (new)

Debra (debrapurdykong) Welcome, Fran. I'm glad to see that you're being featured too! Your books sound great and the topic extremely timely and poignant. Also, I know too many people who are watching their parents go through Alzheimer's . . .

All the best,
Debra

message 9: by Fran (new)

Fran | 18 comments Sorry I did not respond. My sister is ill and I just came from the hospital.
My mom has Alzheimer's she is home. I wrote these books to help kids deal with everyday issues that they face. Memories was written to remind eveyone that before it is too late you need to accept the person for who they are now and visit them and remember them they way they used to be. fran

message 10: by Fran (new)

Fran | 18 comments Thank you to everyone who has asked a question. My sister had a heart attack and we are hoping that she will recover but it does not look good. Please continue to ask me your questions. I will definitely respond fran

message 11: by Renee (new)

Renee (rjmiller) | 419 comments Mod
I'm so sorry to hear that Fran. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

message 12: by Debra (new)

Debra (debrapurdykong) Fran wrote: "Thank you to everyone who has asked a question. My sister had a heart attack and we are hoping that she will recover but it does not look good. Please continue to ask me your questions. I will defi..."

I'm very sorry to hear about your sister, Fran.

Debra

message 13: by Erma (last edited Jun 27, 2010 08:43PM) (new)

Erma Odrach | 183 comments My thoughts are with you in this difficult time, Fran. I am deeply sorry, but I can only hope there will be a recovery.

message 14: by Fran (new)

Fran | 18 comments Thanks so much for your kind words. My sister is a great inspiration to me and edited my two Bertha Books and encouraged me to write Memories are Precious fran

message 15: by Fran (new)

Fran | 18 comments My sister is the Tillie character in my Bertha Books. She was always the thin sister who could dance, sing and do sports. I was always the klutz. One day at lunch as I started my diet she said that I looked like my grandmother Bertha and was sitting knocked kneed like her. I told her she looked like my spoiled aunt Tillie. My nephew Jake picked up on it and started callintg me Bertha and her tillie. I would give anything to hear her say that again. fran

message 16: by Fran (new)

Fran | 18 comments Sharp as a tack or scrambled Eggs is about to be out on Xlibris. Fran
Keep your brain and mind active. Use this book as a resource fran

message 17: by Fran (new)

Fran | 18 comments the book is completed and now being edited again to make sure that there are no errors. I am writing reviews for authors to keep my mind on other things and will hopefully complete Bertha's Revenge and Wrongly accused. fran

message 18: by Erma (new)

Erma Odrach | 183 comments Hi Fran. A little off-topic. I read your excellent review of The Sorrows of an American: A Novel. Very gripping and heartfelt.

message 19: by Fran (new)

Fran | 18 comments Thank you so much. I really appreciate your kind words. fran

message 20: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 4 comments I'm so sorry I missed the chat Fran. I've actually been on vacation! Truly amazing.

So sorry about your sister, and hoping you will get good news. I don't know if I can still ask a question about your books, but I'm curious if you find it hard to write something where the characters you are basing it on are close to you.

message 21: by Fran (new)

Fran | 18 comments You can ask a question
It was easier to write these three books because the characters were closer to me. My sister, is one character, I called her TIllie. I am Bertha and the rest of my cousins I called other names. They were excited about being characters in my books. My nieces Casey, Carly, Kati and Dani thought it was cool and so did my nephews. But, writing about myself and what I went through being overweight as a kid and getting picked on was hard to write about. I found that just by telling my stories and hopefully I will complete the fourth one soon, it would help children learn to understand why hurting the feelings of others and making fun of someone is wrong.
Thanks for asking Sheila

message 22: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 4 comments Thanks for answering Fran. And what a lovely reason to write them. Has Bertha developed a character of her own as you've written her, or do you still feel like she's you? (I've often wondered if real characters might morph into imaginary ones as authors give them life.)

message 23: by Fran (new)

Fran | 18 comments She is both me and has her own personality. She is me as the overweight kid who was a klutz but had a sense of humor. She is me in that she was quiet at first and learned to speak out for herself and stand up for what is right. She was the person I wanted to be in Bertha Fights Back. She went astray but finally realized that doing the wrong thing can cost you more than you realize. Fran