Who Loves Fantasy? discussion

What are you reading right now?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Teresa 8-22 (new)

Teresa 8-22 What book(s) are you currently reading? Or, what book(s) did you just finish?

message 2: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 56 comments I just finished Battle of the Labyrinth. It was really good. I'm reading the Screwtape Letters and I think that it is pretty interesting. It isn't fantasy though.

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex yes!! I love THAT BOOK!!! im ready the 13th reality ITS REALLY GOOD ive read it before you gys should read it.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris (mathdaddy) I'm currently reading Andre Norton's "Beast Master" series. I just finished Arthur C. Clarke's "Firstborn", the last book in the Time Odyssey. I'm continuing to read the Area 51 series.

message 5: by Teresa 8-22 (new)

Teresa 8-22 I just finished reading a book called "Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror" by Chris Priestley, which is a whole bunch of scary stories that all form one big story.

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) Currently reading the Narnia seires

message 7: by Ashlyn (new)

Ashlyn (bobthebenevolentdictator) | 8 comments Hi, I'm new to this group, but I'm reading The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima...^-^

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessiemae) | 9 comments I'm reading Harry Potter and the order of the pheonix... I had never read the harry potter series so I started about a week ago. I'm obsessed. it's kind of pathetic actually how addicted and obsessed with them i actually am.

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) Just finished a great book called Questors!

message 10: by Teresa 8-22 (new)

Teresa 8-22 Jessica: I know! The Harry Potter books are amazing!

Ephona: What's that book about?

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) It's about three worlds and three kids from those worlds who have to help seal up a leak in something called a Time Continuum. It almost has multiple plots though cause they have to go to each of the different worlds to get special quest items and each world is different in their own way. Really interesting; confusing at first but really good ^-^

message 12: by Teresa 8-22 (new)

Teresa 8-22 Cool!

message 13: by Susie/Ashmoon (new)

Susie/Ashmoon (snicolaysen18) I am reading... Eclipse

message 14: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) I just finished the house of the scorpian and most of the guardians of ga'hoole series and am now reading foundling

message 15: by Kataury (new)

Kataury I'm rereading RA salvatore.... which is a symptom showing the result of obsession.

message 16: by Silver (new)

Silver I am waiting for the battle of labyrinth, the first two twilight books, and the power of three warrior books to come in at the library. I'm kind of reading Angel Isle but after Eclipse its putting me to sleep.... I am eragon/arya/elf obsessed, and I absolutely cannot wait for Brisingr to some out.

message 17: by Silver (new)

Silver Oh and another good book I read was Stargirl. lol

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) Okay here is what I have read since my post:

Just Ella
Maximum Ride #1 (re-read)

And currently reading:

Wolf Tower
Prince Caspian
MR #2 (re-read)
Goddess of the Night

s•u•n•s•h•i•n•e «§KENZ§» I'm waiting for my sister to finish the Amber Spyglass, and then I'll read that, but currently I'm not reading anything.

message 20: by Teresa 8-22 (new)

Teresa 8-22 Oooh, I simply love that series!

message 21: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) I just finished the graphic novel the league of extrordinary gentlemen and am now reaing THE MAGICIAN by michael scott

message 22: by Chris (new)

Chris (mathdaddy) Finally finished the Beast Master series. (I hate having to wait for library books.) Now I'm starting The Dragon Quartet, which my best friend loaned me. He and his wife love it, so here's hoping it's good. Sadly, I'm not going to have as much reading time (or energy) now that school's starting again soon. The downside to being a teacher....

message 23: by Kataury (new)

Kataury Ugh! School... what a vile word! Both teachers and students alike dislike that thought of going back.

s•u•n•s•h•i•n•e «§KENZ§» Actually, I don't really mind.

message 25: by Chris (new)

Chris (mathdaddy) I don't mind going back, really. I DO mind the two weeks of "training" we teachers get to go through. Never mind that I had all my students last year, I know what to do.....sigh.

message 26: by Chris (new)

Chris (mathdaddy) Well, many teachers start the week before. My school starts two weeks before, and ends two weeks after. Last year, I got out three weeks after the kids did, and I'm back two weeks before them, so I actually got five weeks less of summer break.

It's scary...I have a Master's degree and 10 years experience, and I still make the same as a garbageman makes. My best friend is a grocery store manager, and he makes (with his two years of college, as opposed to my six) about $30,000 more than I do...BEFORE he gets his bonuses. Oh, well. I don't teach because I get paid well; I teach because I can and because, apparently, I'm pretty good at it.

message 27: by Chris (new)

Chris (mathdaddy) There's always something left to read. It's just a matter of knowing how to find it. Try going to the Free Online Library, or Project Gutenberg. They have tons of famous--or infamous--works on there that most people know of but have never read. I finally read through some of Darwin's "Origin of the Species", because I got tired of the anti-evolutionists down here in Florida, so I wanted to see exactly what Darwin did and did not say. Very eye-opening, actually, but that's a whole different discussion.

message 28: by Kataury (new)

Kataury Reading about horror brings a lot of emotions out of me. Watching a horror film isn't that scary but reading about it can terrify me! And that really sucks! I love Dune and eragon! Mostly Dune but that's just the first three. After that they get all political.

message 29: by Kataury (new)

Kataury I agree. I have this problem with reading younger fiction now because I read more and more higher levels after only a few because they were either to simple and easy or just plain dull and all the same.

message 30: by Kataury (new)

Kataury But then again that's just me. AF is just more interesting to read.

message 31: by Marc (new)

Marc (authorguy) | 2 comments Something non-fiction I discovered here: Aristotle and an Aardvark go to Washington. Also re-reading my own second novel, A Warrior Made, in preparation for writing the next book in the series.

message 32: by Chris (new)

Chris (mathdaddy) www.thefreelibrary.com/literature.aspx

You have to choose an author, and then look at the right side of the page for the links to read. It's somewhat confusing to navigate at first.

message 33: by Alex (new)

Alex wait what does that do?

message 34: by Pamela (new)

Pamela The Sharing Knife Volume One: Beguilement (Sharing Knife) by Lois McMaster Bujold.

I have a whole series I am waiting anxiously to read, but I don't want to start it until my current wip is finished.

message 35: by Amy (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:16AM) (new)

Amy | 3 comments Hello! I am new to the group! I have read all the Harry Potter books, and currently working on 'Breaking Dawn'. I think I enjoy Stephenie Meyers books a bit more because of the romance aspect. I like how her characters are drawn to each other, from fate or imprinting, whatever it really is. In fact, after reading, 'Twilight' and enjoying other sci-fi/fantasy books, I decided to try to write my own story. I posted the first chapter and [not so great:] prologue, lol, if any one would like to read and give me [gentle and kind, but constructive:] feedback, that would be awesome!

message 36: by Kymebal (new)

Kymebal OMC! Breaking Dawn was an amazing book! i loved it. i finished it on august 3rd.

message 37: by Alex (new)

Alex i finished it in 2 days because my mom had to read it!! i loved it!! what do you guys think?

message 38: by Julie's WILD (new)

Julie's WILD | 2 comments I'm reading blue smoke.

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa) (letsread) I just added this group. Currently I am reading the Vampire Plagues by Sebastian Rook. I am enjoying them. They are young adult literature. The first is London 1850, then Paris 1850 and the last that I am currently reading is Mexico, 1850.

message 40: by Alex (new)

Alex are they really good?

message 41: by Chris (new)

Chris (mathdaddy) I'm working on Harry Turtledove's latest "Crosstime Traffic" book, as well as Book 3 of the Temeraire series, "Black Powder War".

message 42: by Alex (new)

Alex wow black powder war
whats that about?

message 43: by Chris (last edited Dec 04, 2008 03:00PM) (new)

Chris (mathdaddy) The Temeraire series is basically historical fiction, with a major twist. These stories take place during the Napoleonic Wars (early 1800s--if you're not familiar, Google it...too long to explain), and have one major difference from the way it actually happened: dragons are used for aerial combat. Temeraire is found and hatched by a naval captain in the first book (His Majesty's Dragon), and cheerfully joins the British Dragon Corps, along with the captain, who is now his companion. The second book sees China demand the return of Temeraire, who is a rare Chinese Celestial dragon, and Laurence (the captain) and Temeraire journey to China to try to change their minds. Black Powder War picks up where the second book (Throne of Jade) left off. My best friend loaned me the books, and they're very fun to read, particularly if you enjoy history or alternative history.

message 44: by Alex (new)

Alex WHOA that sounds AWESOME!!!

message 45: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa) (letsread) •Alexi• wrote: "are they really good?"
I enjoyed them. They are about three children who are trying to send the Mayan god Comozatz (sp?) who is the god of vampire back to the netherworld. Of course, they are set in the year 1850 and the story takes us from Mexico, to London, to Paris and them back to Mexico.

message 46: by Alex (new)

Alex whoa that sounds awesome also!!! COOL

message 47: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephaniepellegrin) | 4 comments I recently finished Graceling by Kristin Cashore (WONDERFUL book) and I'm starting Inkheart tonight. It's been on my "to read" list for forever and with the movie coming out I figure I should go ahead and read it.

message 48: by Alex (new)

Alex whats it about? the book you finished?

message 49: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 56 comments I just finished reading the Twilight series for the first time. I loved it! I'm so glad I was finally able to read it.

message 50: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephaniepellegrin) | 4 comments Graceling is about a girl named Katsa. In the world Katsa lives in, some people are blessed with Graces, thus they are called Gracelings. Your Grace can be something as simple as cooking or swimming. Katsa's Grace is killing people.

I follow a few blogs of various authors I like, and one recommended this. He said, "If you're looking for a fantasy book with a strong female lead, this is it." And he was right! Seriously, it was VERY good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0152...

« previous 1