Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > Braille for Children

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Can anyone recommend books that speak about braille for children ages 6-10? Where can you buy books in braille for kids?

So far I found a few interesting books on the subject. Has anyone read these?

The Secret Code
Louis Braille, The Boy Who Invented Books For The Blind
The Black Book of Colors (this book looks really cool)

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments The copy of Keep Your Ear on the Ball I borrowed from the library was in both English and Braille, and that was interesting, and allows the reader to feel the Braille.

message 3: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 7921 comments Mod
I know thatMillions of Cats is available in braille. When I tried to get a copy from our library, they originally offered me the braille copy.

message 4: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Thanks for the recommendations and the links :)

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1077 comments Eastofoz, This is the actual bilingual English-Braille edition of the book that I read: Keep Your Ear on the Ball

message 6: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz I just ordered it Lisa :) Also found some interesting picture books about deaf children: Moses Goes to a Concert

message 7: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz I ended up reading The Black Book of Colors and it's a very different and interesting kind of book. All of the pages are black with raised pictures to feel things like leaves, plants etc which are supposed to give the blind child an idea of what colors are. There is also some braille writing and the braille alphabet at the back. My kids (who aren't blind) were fascinated by the book.

message 8: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Eastofoz wrote: "I just ordered it Lisa :) Also found some interesting picture books about deaf children: Moses Goes to a Concert"

Moses Goes to a Concert is one of the best children's books I've come across primarily because it teaches children about how deaf children appreciate and learn music through a regular story instead of focusing just on the fact that the characters are deaf. There are some sentences "translated" in American Sign Language and the ASL alphabet is shown at the back of the book. The gestures are easy to follow and my kids thoroughly enjoyed the book. I'd highly recommend it even if it is a bit pricey. It's part of a series but the other two books are HC only and too expensive.