Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Parents' Corner > Fantastic Suggestions for Tweens (6th through 8th grade)

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (last edited Jun 23, 2010 04:54PM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Kellee was kind enough to put together a fantastic list of great reads for tweens. I know when my daughter was in middle school, it was a tough time. They're too old for kid stuff, not old enough to drive and be independent. Kellee teaches 7th grade, and gave me this terrific list.

Thank you so much, Kellee, for doing this! Here is her list. I had to break it up into three posts due to its length:

Books that I've had a high success of enjoyment with boys and girls:

*Stormbreaker Stormbreaker (Alex Rider, #1) by Anthony Horowitz by Anthony Horowitz and the rest of the series

*Life As We Knew It
Life As We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1) by Susan Beth Pfeffer by Susan Beth Pfeffer and its companion novels

*Everlost Everlost (Skinjacker, #1) by Neal Shusterman by Neal Shusterman and its sequel

*The Lightning Thief The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan by Rick Riordan and the rest of the series

*The Angel Experiment The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1) by James Patterson by James Patterson and the rest of the series

*The Hunger Games The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins by Suzanne Collins and the rest of the series

*Found Found (The Missing, #1) by Margaret Peterson Haddix by Margaret Peterson Haddix and the rest of the series

*Eighth Grade Bites Eighth Grade Bites (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #1) by Heather Brewer by Heather Brewer and the rest of the series

*Lost and Found Lost and Found (Bluford Series, Number 1) by Anne E. Schraff by Anne E. Schraff and the rest of the series

*Love That Dog Love That Dog by Sharon Creech by Sharon Creech and its sequel

*Disney After Dark Disney After Dark (The Kingdom Keepers, #1) by Ridley Pearson by Ridley Pearson and the rest of the series

*Among the Hidden Among the Hidden (Shadow Children, #1) by Margaret Peterson Haddix byMargaret Peterson Haddix and the rest of the series

*The Giver The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry by Lois Lowry and its companion novels

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Books that help with acceptance (of themselves, their culture, their sexuality, etc.):

*Another Kind Of Cowboy Another Kind Of Cowboy by Susan Juby by Susan Juby - sexuality

*American Born Chinese American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang by Gene Luen Yang - Chinese culture

*Feather Boy Feather Boy by Nicky Singer by Nicky Singer - protagonist is an outcast

*Things You Either Hate or Love Things You Either Hate or Love by Brigid Lowry by Brigid Lowry - protagonist is an overweight girl

*Athletic Shorts: Six Short Stories Athletic Shorts Six Short Stories by Chris Crutcher by Chris Crutcher - short stories about different protagonists dealing with different issues

*Boy Meets Boy Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan by David Levithan - sexuality

*Mismatch Mismatch by Lensey Namioka by Lensey Namioka - Chinese & Japanese culture

*Maya Running Maya Running by Anjali Banerjee by Anjali Banerjee - Indian culture

*No More Dead Dogs No More Dead Dogs by Gordon Korman by Gordon Korman - a clever protagonist

*NERDS: National Espionage, Rescue, and Defense Society NERDS National Espionage, Rescue, and Defense Society (Book One) by Michael Buckley by Michael Buckley - nerds are superheroes

*Out of Sight, Out of Mind [image error] by Marilyn Kaye - and the rest of the Gifted series - accepting who you are

*Airball: My Life in Briefs Airball My Life in Briefs by L.D. Harkrader by L.D. Harkrader - story of a bad basketball team

*Schooled Schooled by Gordon Korman by Gordon Korman - kind of a male Stargirl story

*Crash Crash by Jerry Spinelli by Jerry Spinelli - story of a bully

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) continuing post #2 list:

*Perfect Perfect by Natasha Friend by Natasha Friend - story of a girl with bulimia

*The Melting of Maggie Bean The Melting of Maggie Bean by Tricia Rayburn by Tricia Rayburn - protagonist is an overweight girl

*The Juvie Three The Juvie Three by Gordon Korman by Gordon Korman - three juvenile delinquents trying to fit in to the real world

*If a Tree Falls at Lunch Period If a Tree Falls at Lunch Period by Gennifer Choldenko by Gennifer Choldenko - acceptance in general

*The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp (Alfred Kropp, #1) by Rick Yancey by Rick Yancey - an underdog saves the day

*Hurt Go Happy Hurt Go Happy by Ginny Rorby by Ginny Rorby - accepting and overcoming a disability

*Rules Rules by Cynthia Lord by Cynthia Lord - accepting a family member with a disability

*A Crooked Kind of Perfect A Crooked Kind of Perfect by Linda Urban by Linda Urban - a story of the power of music

*Tangerine Tangerine by Edward Bloor by Edward Bloor - accepting and overcoming a disability

*Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key (Joey Pigza Books) by Jack Gantos by Jack Gantos - and the rest of the series - protagonist has ADHD

*Wringer Wringer (Summer Reading Edition) by Jerry Spinelli by Jerry Spinelli - story of peer pressure

*Hidden Talents Hidden Talents by David Lubar by David Lubar - accepting one's self (main characters have some unique talents)

*Trino's Choice Trino's Choice by Diane Gonzales Bertrand by Diane Gonzales Bertrand - peer pressure and culture

*Freak the Mighty Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick by Rodman Philbrick - two unlikely friends

*Loser Loser by Jerry Spinelli by Jerry Spinelli - protagonist is an outcast

*Small Steps Small Steps by Louis Sachar by Louis Sachar - Armpit, from Holes turns his life around - accepting a friend's disability

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Kellee, your awesomeness is beyond words.

*bows*

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Ok, great, thanks for adding lots more books to my already overwhelming to-read list! (Fortunately, I've already loved a bunch of these. :)

message 6: by Rita (new)

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 183 comments I read these Shannon Hale books last year and really enjoyed them. I can't wait for my girls to get a little older so I can share them with them:

The Goose Girl The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1) by Shannon Hale

Princess Academy Princess Academy by Shannon Hale

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Thanks Rita!

message 8: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (kelleemoye) You're welcome :)
Hopefully the list can help some parents (or teachers) out there. :D

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) How could it not? I'm dying to read these too!

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy I have Goose Girl in my to be read pile!

message 11: by Rita (last edited Jun 24, 2010 08:43AM) (new)

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 183 comments I highly, highly, highly recommend it.

message 12: by Kelstar (new)

Kelstar | 11 comments When I was younger I really enjoyed Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson and her other books too.

message 13: by Rita (new)

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 183 comments Kelstar, that's a really cool bookcover. I'm going to add that to my to-read list.

message 14: by Alan (new)

Alan (coachmt) | 14 comments I will be shamelessly self-serving and add my book A Measure of Disorder to the pile. It's about an eighth grade class that gets transported to another world. It's clean and deals with a lot of teenage growing up and fitting in issues. The second book in the series should be available early 2011.

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Kelstar wrote: "When I was younger I really enjoyed Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson and her other books too."

I'm reading that now, and will be setting up a discussion thread soon. It's good so far. And the cover is very cool.

message 16: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (kelleemoye) I was trying to give two types of suggestions: books that have successfully (in my observation) crossed genders & books that deal with acceptance

I think that acceptance is the hardest thing for middle grade students, and reading about others struggling then accepting helps them with their own acceptance.

message 17: by Kelstar (new)

Kelstar | 11 comments Yeah it is a cool cover I never thought about it before. I read Speak when I was a teenager in highschool and I remember loving it haha that was probably almost ten years ago. I think it's worth reading for adults though too my english teacher is the one who had us read it because she loved it. I haven't read it since I was a teen though so I've forgotten details about the book. This is definitely a book about someone struggling, it is sad too though.

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Kellee wrote: "I was trying to give two types of suggestions: books that have successfully (in my observation) crossed genders & books that deal with acceptance

I think that acceptance is the hardest thing for m..."

I forgot to commend you for being a middle school teacher Kellee. My sister was a HS teacher (now retired), and she's said many times there's no way she'd be a middle school teacher. At the same time, that was def the age where I think kids need the most support, and can benefit from a great adult example the most.

So thank you! You are a brave woman!

message 19: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (kelleemoye) Awww shucks Laura. Thanks.
I think that all teachers have a niche that we fit into and I LOVE middle school. I will probably never think about leaving it. High school is so.... uptight and elementary is not focused enough, so I just love where I am. I hope I make a difference for these kids who are going through such a influential time in their life. The kids are the reason why I do it :)
(I know sappy, but I mean it...)

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) That is very cool. Teachers deserve so much more than what they get in this backwards society where athletes make millions. But I'm so glad there are teachers like you out there. Bless all of you!

message 21: by Amy (new)

Amy Thanks!

message 22: by Cheryl (last edited Jun 28, 2010 08:40PM) (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) off-topic - Ok, Laura & Amy, with your similar profile pix that I see here in adjacent messages - I wonder if I've ever subconsciously got you two mixed up and attributed a post from one of you to the other.... hmm... if so I'm sorry and I'll take more care now!

message 23: by Amy (new)

Amy Possibly Cheryl. I didn't realize our pics were so similar. Maybe I should change mine. Can't remember how I got it there in the first place though. LOL.

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Lol I try to make my flower seasonal, but Fiona was a little down one day so I changed it back to daffodils, her favorite. I've been meaning to change to portulaca, my hubbys got a garden of them. I'll do it soon. You can have yours back Amy, I was gonna change mine anyhow.

message 25: by Amy (new)

Amy No that's okay. When I originally put the flower up, I didn't have decent (and current) picture of myself to put up. THe one I used is from mother's day!

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I wound up using a cosmos flower - it really stands out.

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) (alybee930) | 446 comments Wow Kellee - I need to come back to this list and check it out. Some great stuff on it.

Thanks!

message 28: by Amy (new)

Amy I wish there were a printable version. LOL. Same goes for the WT favorites list.

message 29: by Laura (last edited Jun 29, 2010 01:35PM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) You can print it, you just need to select that post with your mouse (make it all blue), go to File - Print from the main menu, and choose "Selection".

I also have the list Kellee PM'd me without all the bookcovers in it, I can PM it to you if you like Amy.

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) (alybee930) | 446 comments Laura can you PM it to me too...

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Sure.

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) You should both have it now Alyson & Amy.

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) (alybee930) | 446 comments Laura - TY...I got it.

message 34: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Ok now you've both gotten rid of white flowers I'll never know who's who! (kidding :)

If I ask you to PM me the list does that mean it'll be nice and tidy and no pix needing extra ink? If so I'd be very grateful!

message 35: by Amy (new)

Amy THanks Laura. I would love to have the list!

message 36: by Laura (last edited Jun 30, 2010 05:53AM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Amy, I sent it to you yesterday thru GR mail. And since i'm on my phone now and not the computer, if you did receive it and could send it to Cheryl, that's great. Otherwise, I'll send it to her later on today. Let me know if you don't have it. Thx!

message 37: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (kelleemoye) Cheryl, I can send it to you :) It's on its way.

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Thx Kellee!

message 39: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) I got it and am loving it!