Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't. What's it about?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

oh cool.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

wow cool!

message 4: by Robert, Why so many mods? (new)

Robert (rgbatduke) | 2 comments Mod
I've read the White Mountains trilogy many times, it's one of my favorite book series.

Plot summary:

The Tripods, a race of threefold symmetric bug-eyed monsters from another star, took over the television stations and broadcast a hypnotic message to pretty much everybody on earth. The message compelled the listener to go to centers and be "capped" -- have a neurally linked web placed on their skull that reduced all feelings of hostility of the individual towards the invaders and placed them under complete control.

As soon as enough humans were under their control, they used them to hunt down and take over the rest, including most of the ones that weren't watching television at the critical time. Naturally a handful of humans remained outside of their control, but they are a tiny minority that must always hide lest they be caught and capped. The tripods establish a medieval culture, eliminating all technology and democracy, so that the remaining social life of the survivors (it is clear that an enormous number of people are just immediately killed, as the cities are empty and abandoned) is roughly 12th or 13th century European.

The story begins with the protagonists approaching the birthday that symbolizes "coming to manhood" -- an event celebrated with your capping as at that point your skull is through expanding, more or less, usually. Only the book series' hero doesn't want to be capped... and runs away.

The rest of the story (you learn most of this in the first few pages, so I'm giving nothing away) I leave for you to read. Great story, though, smashing yarn, rollicking adventure!

rgb

P.S. Christopher has another novel as well that is a good read.

message 5: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 28 comments I have read those many, many times.
My favorite was the first one, where the Tripods are just beginning to take over.

message 6: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 28 comments They are very good!