SDMB - Straight Dope discussion

How are you using Goodreads so far?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

Julie | 153 comments Mod
My first thing to do is hit the "compare books" button with everyone just to, well, compare books.

Eleanor and Auntie Pam are obvious freaks who share waaaay too many of my tastes!

Then I usually click on what people have read, following links from there off to Amazon and back again. Obviously, there's no real pattern to what I'm doing. But I have a disorganized mind, so that suffices for me.

How about you?

message 2: by Ealaindraoi (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

Ealaindraoi | 10 comments No, no, it is Koeeoaddi who has the most excellent taste!! :) (And, of course, sharing a difficult-to-spell user name and a Stephen King fetish!)
Does anyone else notice that sometimes the compare books percentage number seems a little wacky? I think, Koeeoaddi and I compare pretty close to what the percentage is, but I had another user I compared with that came up at 93 books, with 100% agreement. Just a quick glance at our ranking didn't show anywhere near 100%.
I was on Library Thing, and I'm using Goodreads for the same reason. I had NO idea how to answer the "how many books do you read a year?" question. I was sure it was more than 50, but didn't know how close I was to 100 or 200 or 300.

Also, to find new books to read instead of the little scraps of paper/Amazon wish list thing. (categorizing shelves was easier on Library Thing, groups and friends is better on Goodreads.)

message 3: by Cassa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

Cassa | 38 comments Who else has a Stephen King fetish? Because I'm all over him (not literally) right now. I'm about 800 pages into his ~1100 page version of The Stand right now after reading a collection of short stories, Pet Sematary, and 'Salem's Lot. I'm thinking The Shining or The Green Mile next, but I can't decide.

Anyway, to be on topic: I forget where I found the link to this site (it might have been while I lurked the SDMB boards), and I just went about showing off all the books I've read. Unfortunately, I've only gotten one friend on here, and she's either outread me, or remembers more books than I do. I'm also about to start a thread here looking for recommendations...

message 4: by Mark (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

Mark Flack | 15 comments Mornin' campers.

I'm enjoying my perusals of everyone's listings. It seems I either have a great deal of commonality or none whatsoever. I'm going to try and add reviews to my listings (or at least the 4 / 5 * ones) so those who may not have read them can see why I liked them.

I'd be interested in some of the books in other people's listings if I had a better idea of what they were about. There's also the slight problem of some listings being US and not always available here...

Lot's of fun so far though, thanks Julie.