COOKIES! discussion

Chit chat > Kitchen equipment

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol My hand mixer is making strange noises and vibrating more than usual. The only thing I use it for is starting a cookie recipe. I need to get a new one, this one is OLD! Any suggestions as to what I should get.

message 2: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 530 comments Mod
I usually don't use a mixer, mostly because when I was younger, my mom made and decorated cakes from our home, so the mixer was hers. I am partial to Kitchen Aid brand though, and if I had the money I would get a pink one, since it is my fave color and they have a pink one that benefits breast cancer research, one of my charities to support.

You can get all sorts of attatchements for the Kitchen Aid including a pasta maker,ice-cream churn, and bread hook.

For a little cheaper, go with Hamilton Beach.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol Thanks for your input Kim. I did decide to go with the Kitchen Aid. Hope to make Chocolate cookies today!

message 4: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

Glad to be of help.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Kitchen Aid is the best!

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol I made cookies yesterday on my new Pampered Chef large round Baking Stone that my daughter got me for my birthday! I love to bake on these stones because I never have to worry about burning the bottoms of my cookies.

message 7: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

I not had good luck with Pampered Chef items. Every knife or server I have bought all broke. I know that they replace things, but even the replacements have broken! I buy a lot of Pyrex brand items, including silicon spatulas. They hold up well, even in the stiffest cookie doughs. I had one break the other day when it got caught in the drawer, but there is enough handle left for small scraping jobs.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol I really enjoy my Digital Kitchen Scale. I'ts quite accurate. I use it for portioning things mostly.
I did use it this morning for a Nigella Lawson recipe that I found on a BBC cooking website. The ingredients were expressed in grams/ounces instead of cups. The scale I have works in either grams or ounces. The recipe was for her Spruced-Up Vanilla cake that she made on the food network.
I'm pleased with the result and I will seek out more recipes that are measured this way.

message 9: by Kim, Cookie Master (last edited Dec 14, 2010 07:42AM) (new)

Alton Brown suggests a digital scale with a tare weight re-set button for accurate measurements. I am seeing more recipes that go by weight and not the traditional volume-metrics. (i.e. cups and such)

Try foodnetwork.com and look for Alton Brown. All of his recipes are in both by weight and translated for those of us who still insist on using cups and such (like me.)

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol Kim wrote: "Alton Brown suggests a digital scale with a tare weight re-set button for accurate measurements. I am seeing more recipes that go by weight and not the traditional volume-metrics. (i.e. cups and ..."

I do love that 'tare weight' feature.

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol My oven is broken! :( I ordered a new one, but it will take two weeks. Big bummer!

message 12: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

Oooh! I am so sorry to hear that! I know what it is like to have to wait for it to be fixed, so I cannot imagine having to wait for a new one...quell nightmare!

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol I finally got my new oven. I love it! So sparkly clean too.

message 14: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

Oooooh! What will be your first dish?

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol Kim wrote: "Oooooh! What will be your first dish?"

I made Butterscotch Cookies yesterday.
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/butt...

I'm going to make Ginger Scones this morning!
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/ging...

message 16: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

Sound good to me!

message 17: by Carol (new)

Carol I LOVE my new OXO cookie spatula!

message 18: by Kim, Cookie Master (last edited May 06, 2013 07:02AM) (new)

OOOOOOH! I'm jealous! Narzain! Pay attention here! :)

HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT HINT

BIG HONKING HINT!