Harry Potter discussion

Characters > Any Dean/Luna Shippers?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alien (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

Alien  Citizen | 14 comments I was totally on that boat, dude! After they were stuck together for so long...and he was kind to her, kind and considerate.

message 2: by Peter (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

Peter DiCicco | 8 comments I've never been a big Shipper, but I definitely noticed stuff going on with Dean & Luna. I seem to recall a passage that mentioned them holding hands, or maybe it was Luna taking Dean's hand. I can't find the exact quote.

I've always loved Luna. And after reading more about Dean's backstory on JKR's website, I had hoped to see a little more of him in Book 7 (though it's still jam-packed as it is).

message 3: by Jane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

Jane Completely agree - time spent with Luna just makes you grow to love her all the more. Dean grabs her hand during ones of the Hogwarts' battle scenes.

message 4: by Terri (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

Terri Uglem | 3 comments ignorant question...what is a Shipper?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Terri-
I'm glad I'm not the only one out of the loop . . .

message 6: by Kirk (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

Kirk | 10 comments I'll join both of you.

message 7: by Peter (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

Peter DiCicco | 8 comments Shipper: one who supports a "ship", that is "relationship" (i.e. Harry-Hermione shippers vs. Ron-Hermione shippers, etc.)

see: Shipping at Wikipedia

message 8: by Terri (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

Terri Uglem | 3 comments is that a word the younger crowd uses?

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 07, 2007 05:39PM) (new)

Thanks for the explanation Peter. I guess it's a slang thing, like we (at least my group of friends did) used to call parents "rents". So, back to the question . . . I think Dean and Luna would have been a good match. But, as they were not main, main characters-- they couldn't have been focused on for very long. This is why I would really like to see JKR write a few books to explore these various side stories. We'll see . . .

message 10: by Peter (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Peter DiCicco | 8 comments Glad I could be of help. I think I first heard the term around the time Half-Blood Prince came out when someone was talking about Harry-Hermione Shippers, and I went, "huh?" so I had to look it up.

Yes, I am looking forward to the encyclopedia JKR says she is going to write. I'm a big fan of Tolkien and his extensive Appendices, so I was very starved for one at the end of Deathly Hallows.

message 11: by Alien (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Alien  Citizen | 14 comments It's a British term, right? Shippers?

message 12: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

Tara | 83 comments Haven't heard anyone use shipper in a long time. The first time I heard it was when the X-Files was on Fox and there were a lot of people who claimed to be Mulder/Scully Shippers. A girl I went to college with wrote an article about the shippers (she was one herself) but when she talked about Shipping and the Mulder/Scully thing, it came out sounding like more of an obsession than just an idea to toss around, like the world would end horribly if Mulder and Scully didn't get end up together.

So, now onto the actual topic. I agree with what Dawn said about seeing Luna as a strong, single woman. Luna is so uniquely different from the other students at Hogwarts and she marches to the beat of her own drum (sorry for the cliche). I love Dean and I really like how nice Dean is to Luna, but I also like the idea of Luna being single.

message 13: by whichwaydidshego? (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 12 comments I saw indications of Luna & Dean, and liked the idea, but whatever her journey I was severely disappointed we didn't hear of it in the epilogue. I think Luna is precious. The ceiling thing just topped it!

message 14: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments Dean and Luna! So cute and I agree! What would life be like without Luna? Totally love her!

message 15: by Beth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Beth (bibliocat4) JKR talked about Luna in a web chat (full transcript can be found here http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/200...) and this is what she said about Luna's after DH life:

"J.K. Rowling: She ended up marrying (rather later than Harry & co) a fellow naturalist and grandson of the great Newt Scamander (Rolf)!"

Works for me!