This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

father's day

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Malbadeen (new)

Malbadeen I don't mind going to my mom and her husbands house for a father's day bbq. I don't even mind finding a token gift for her husband (or as I see it on this day my kids' grandpa) but I really, really, really hate that he will almost for sure say some well intended remark about my (dead since 2003) dad that he never met.
I am not an easily made uncomfortable person but whenever he does that which he does at birthdays, weddings, funerals, or any other occasion my skin crawls!!!

message 2: by Rusty (last edited Jun 20, 2010 07:45AM) (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments That's a rough situation all around, Marie. My wife is in the same position, and I know it's difficult for her and her siblings (in varying degrees) when it's thrown in their faces (whether intentionally or not) that there's some joker occupying dad's spot. But it sounds like you deal with it better than most of the wife's siblings, who usually lapse into junior high mode, and spend much of their time being passive agressive asses and making everyone uncomfortable. The wife just ensures that the kids know about their other grandfather, and tells them stories about him.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

:(

message 4: by Malbadeen (new)

Malbadeen Fortunately the house was so full of people I didn't get chance to visit with him at all. Even managed to be out of the room when gifts were opened.

Rusty, my kids also know a lot about their my dad. I try not to get in the way of letting them experience the "grandpa" that is here but I definitely want them to know what their actual heritage is.

oy!