Mock Printz 2023 discussion

Mock Printz 2011 > Happyface by Stephen Emond

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments Not only did this receive two stars but many students enjoyed it. What are your thoughts?

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 4 comments It's a quiet contender. A dark horse, for sure, but I think it has a chance, depending on the makeup of the committee.
http://www.readingrants.org/2010/01/2...

message 3: by Kathy (last edited Jun 30, 2010 03:15PM) (new)

Kathy (thebrainlair) | 198 comments I agree Jennifer. It hasn't received a lot of publicity but it's an incredible read. One of my top choices.

Happyface review

message 4: by Patrick (new)

Patrick O'Malley (Patrick3) | 6 comments Happyface was an older Diary of a Wimpy Kid. At least that was my take when I picked it up and as I read it. This was a book that I looked forward to returning to whenever I put it down. I appreciated the generic happy face the author gave his protagonist and the artwork actually helped to tell the story in a more complete and unique way. I liked how Edmonds incorporated the sketches and word balloons into the flow of the story. Each page had its own special layout that kept the pace moving forward. I can only imagine that many of us have wished at one time or another that we could reinvent ourselves. Happyface has that opportunity and I like how he has some success but not an abundance of it. I like how Mike represents the old Happyface but Edmonds allows him depth of his own and an inner strength that the old Happyface could never muster. I love the way the death of Everett is slipped into the story. Caught me off guard but kept the story intriguing. Chloe, Gretchin, Trevor, Mom and Dad...heck all of the characters share flaws. No one is perfect which is easy for us to see from a distance but always difficult for the person trying to meet others' expectations. Bit of a syrupy-sweet ending with everyone giving Happyface a second chance. Not too clear on the Trevor character. He comes across as a bit inconsistent. Overall, though, a good look at the struggle to find a place and an identity in high school.