Harry Potter discussion

Questions > Do you think the marriages were realistic?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Alien (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

Alien  Citizen | 14 comments I think it was unrealistic for them all to still be together in the end. That Harry stayed with Ginny and Hermione with Ron seems just a tad far fetched. Teenage crushes/1st loves do not generally lead to happy marriages. I would have thought it perfectly understandable if they had said that Hermione and Ron split amicably and went their separate ways...that she was a preeminent scientist and author and he indeed was happily working in the ministry and had a happy family of his own with some girl next door. Ginny and Harry made more sense to me but I wouldn't have been too surprised if Harry broke her heart either...

message 2: by Jane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

Jane I think people tend to get married younger in Britain anyway. And they had all been through so much together that I could see those two couples staying together. But I am glad there weren't more couples committed to...

message 3: by Diane (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) I think that one reason she may have wrote it that they all stayed together is because it is, after all, a children's/young adult story. I keep forgetting that, but for the young adults/children for whom it was written it was a nice ending.

message 4: by Mike (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

Mike D. | 7 comments I would have to agree with Diane that we have to remember it is a children's book. I actually liked the ending. It is fiction. It's not like what would happen in real life.

message 5: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:22PM) (new)

Rachel i don't think it's that unrealistic anyway. i mean, think of everything these characters went through together. seven years of their life spent battling the most evil force in the world. that's a pretty serious bond. i think it would be hard for any of them to feel as close to other people as they do with each other, because no one else would really and truly get it. plus, who else could put up with ron??? :)

message 6: by Andrea (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Andrea | 7 comments I don't think we can consider them regular teenagers. Yes, young star-crossed lovers rarely make it, but they are hardly teenagers if you look what they have gone through. Hard times often make you grow up faster than easy times so in many ways I think Harry has been an adult for years. I also agree with Rachel and think that them being through this together makes a difference. It's like those that have made it through a war together, they share a bond that nobody else understands.

message 7: by Tracey (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:25PM) (new)

Tracey Ron & Hermione made lots of sense to me, and i laughed out loud when they *finally* had their first kiss..."OI! There's a WAR going on!" i was a little thrown off when Harry & Ginny started dating in HBP, but maybe that's because i totally forgot that Ginny was speechless when she first met Harry all those years ago.

message 8: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Meghan | 686 comments I think Harry and Ginny was perfect because I can't see Harry being with anyone else. And I think she is Lily, if you take my meaning. I'm sure some of you might hate me for saying this, but why couldn't Hermione marry Krum. Ron could've died and then, heartbroken, she stays away for a while, comes back and falls in love with Krum. Though I did like that they got married.

message 9: by Patricia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:35PM) (new)

Patricia Elzie-Tuttle (theinfophile) (theinfophile) | 7 comments I think the marriages could be somewhat realistic when you think about the psychological effects of stress and stressful situations. I mean, take Stockholm syndrome where the captives begin to care and feel affectionate toward their captors. I mean, people meeting after an earthquake or some other stressful thing and getting married is very common. The characters in HP have gone through some amazing things together, as well as growth. Looking at the relationships that way, I think the marriages could be believeable.

message 10: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieiscool13) Meghan wrote: "I think Harry and Ginny was perfect because I can't see Harry being with anyone else. And I think she is Lily, if you take my meaning. I'm sure some of you might hate me for saying this, but why co..."

Hermione marrying Krum is brilliant!!

message 11: by Fariza (new)

Fariza Annie: Hermione marrying Krum is brilliant!!

HUHU.. AGREE!! They are perfect!

message 12: by Annie (new)

Annie (annieiscool13) It was funny how Ron was sooo jealous of Krum! I couldn't stop laughing.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

and krum doesnt really realize it and hes like, "whats the matter with him?"

message 14: by Katniss (new)

Katniss (katniss1986) | 5 comments I didn't like the Epilogue at all. It should have ended with the end of the last chapter. Don't know. The epilogue seems to be too closed and artificial. Even a little bit stiff. As if JK thought there OUGHT to be a propper, closed ending and as if she was desperately searching for one. It doesn't do her previous writing justice.

I would have appreciated it to just phantasize my own happy ending. maybe with ron and hermione staying together, maybe ginny and harry... but also: maybe not.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 48 comments I ABSOLUTELY think the couples and marriages here were realistic. Everyone here is exactly right-- these four have been through a LOT together and that lays a strong foundation that their genuine feelings for each other would have built on. Let's not forget, they are essentially all 18 (well, Ginny is 17) at the end of the story before the Epilogue. They are technically adults and it isn't that far-fetched that they would stay together.

And I WILL NOT accept anything other than Ron and Hermione together and happy for the rest of their lives!!!

I have to say, I don't agree with you about the Epilogue, Katniss. I think it was always planned the way it is written, to show the readers a glimpse of the future and where all the characters they love (and love to hate) ended up. It is important that we see the happy lives Harry, Ron and Hermione went on to have because that's how we know good REALLY triumphed over evil.

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) I agree with Rachel. What's so far-fetched about finding "the one" early, anyway? It happens! And I hope we're not to the point in our society when people staying together and not breaking up is "far fetched." That would seriously be depressing, if nobody thought relationships could last.
And I personally LOVE endings like the epilogue...I love authors who give readers closure and don't like the ones where there's just this abrupt "the end! now you figure it out!" ending. I want the author to tell me what happens, because I actually will sit around thinking about it, haha

message 17: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 170 comments I don't know, there was stuff to like and things to dislike about the epilouge. Part of me thinks it's really cheesy, and the other half was happy with it.

message 18: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 242 comments I thought it would have been nice to have more closure.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

It think that they all stayed together because of their past.

message 20: by Brianne (new)

Brianne (iliketoreadbooks) | 242 comments it was still a bit too storybook ending.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that they were all great.

message 22: by JMZ (new)

JMZ | 14 comments A little cheesy but it does make since in a way after everything they've been through together. I doubt they could find any one else they would be able to relate to and talk to easily about the past. While it seems that they didn't have the chance to meet other people all four probably did even if they were rather short term relationships and mentioned in the book. Especially Ron and Hermione who would have no doubt have gone out at least once with someone from their hometowns.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Miss Jimenez wrote: "A little cheesy but it does make since in a way after everything they've been through together. I doubt they could find any one else they would be able to relate to and talk to easily about the pas..."

Yeah...

message 24: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 22 comments They had all been through so much together, that I don't really find it surprising at all that years and years down the road, they're still together.
I liked the pairings, actually. They were all good for each other.

message 25: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (aliciaftw) I know plenty of people who got together young, and have been together for a long time. Even beyond that; those two couples had been through hell and back again together.

message 26: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla VdL (dunnopris) In some ways they seem unrealistic, but in the magical world people grow up faster...first 17, and then of to work, and supposedly form a family. yes, so they are believable in a way just because it's in a magical world.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah25ahmed) | 75 comments I think Hermione should not have married Ron.....the person below me agree that hermione should have been with krum and ron with lavender! HA

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Ewwwww, no! I find Lavender and Krum both disgusting people. As Ron in PPP would say: A fuzzy meat sack!

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah25ahmed) | 75 comments lol i agree i was joking. btw i love ppp!!! (snape's diary has completed my life) ;)

message 30: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 170 comments I have two marriage complaints really:
Luna and Neville should most certianly ihave been together.
I think Hagrid and McGonagall would've been amazing

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah25ahmed) | 75 comments no, i think hagrid and madame maxime would be more realistic!!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Guitar Chick-Dolly Dagger wrote: "I have two marriage complaints really:
Luna and Neville should most certianly ihave been together.
I think Hagrid and McGonagall would've been amazing"

Hagrid and MCGONAGALL???!!!???!!!???!!!

message 33: by AA (new)

AA | 85 comments I had the same reaction >.<

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay good. I didn't want to be, like, a weirdo, I just thought it was...... VERY STRANGE. :)

message 35: by AA (new)

AA | 85 comments lol

message 36: by Megan (new)

Megan (itsmegan) I like that they ended all up together(: Although it seems unrealistic because teenage relationships don't last, we don't know all the troubles and stuff they went through in those 19 years.

However, I agree that Neville & Luna should have been together. And Hargid & Madame Maxime. If Dumbledore was alive and wasn't gay, I would want him with McGonagall.

And I really loved the Epilogue. It left all my unanswered questions, answered.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Isaac wrote: "I found Ron and Hermiones realistic (they'd been through so much.)
Ginny and Harry... seemed like a streach, in the books I never really even payed attention to the fact that they where dating (a ..."

I agree about Harry and Ginny. Ron and Hermione were totally the best couple.

Neville and Luna would have been great, too!

And I agree about Dumbledore. :(

message 38: by Sarah Jane (new)

Sarah Jane (sarah-janek) | 1 comments I think that the marriages are fairly realistic if a bit OBHWFesque. Don't forget we only see a brief snapshot of their lives 19 years in the future. We don't know if they've dated other people in that time. Whats to say that Ron and Hermione haven't just got back together after a brief separation, or that Harry and Ginny had a one night stand that resulted in James which is why they married? We don't know. All we do know is what JK Rowling wanted us to know. They do live normal lives after all, which is probably Harry's idea of a Happily Ever After.

message 39: by Jenn (last edited Mar 17, 2011 05:27AM) (new)

Jenn (abooknut) | 42 comments They had to have their happy ending. It just wouldn’t be the same had we come back found out Ron and Hermione dated a few years then went their separate ways. Harry and Ginny marry have 3 kids but end up divorcing. Maybe we come back to Ron tragically died sometime between last chapter and epilogue leaving Hermione a widow with 2 kids. Hermione goes on to remarry her dear old friend Victor Krum(also a widower with 1 child) the couple have 2 kids of their own.

Isaac wrote: "I found Ron and Hermiones realistic (they'd been through so much.)
Ginny and Harry... seemed like a streach, in the books I never really even payed attention to the fact that they where dating (a ..."

Probably because in the series they literally date for 2 weeks and then break up and don’t get back together until end of DH. In fact I don’t think we see them official get back together. Add on the fact at least I never saw Harry take any interest in Ginny romantically until HBP. Maybe had Rowling hinted Harry's feelings for her earlier maybe had them start dating sooner and been together several months before Harry breaks up with her. Whereas Hermione and Ron clearly have feelings for each other that most people saw in POA, some even say they say it in COS.

Harry and Ginny had a one night stand that resulted in James which is why they married?

Well some of that could be possible I don’t think this one is. Rowling said that Ginny played Quidditch for a few years (at least 3 or 4) and then retired to start a family with Harry. Also I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Jo said she wanted them to be married a bit before having kids. Which makes me think that they were both married at least a couple years before they starting having kids. Which is why she placed the epilogue 19 years in the future.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I can understand Ron and Hermione. I thought Harry and Ginny was kinda weird. But, I always thought that Luna and Neville should have gotten married.....

Miss Silvertongue (misssilvertongue) | 105 comments I am happy with the couplings, in fact, I love them, but yeah, they were a little unrealistic. But if you think about it, romance wasn't exactly a major theme in the series; love was, not romance.

message 42: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 170 comments ON McGonagall and Hagrid, Hagird got drunk and kissed her in the book, and McGonagall giggled.

message 43: by Shivani (new)

Shivani Singh | 9 comments i think couples were beautiful.as in real life also opposite attracts each other,similar happened with them.

message 44: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Hurley | 4 comments I actually do not think the marriages were realistic, I know that it is intended for young adult but the entire story had such emotional depth that it qualifies for an adult book. Also the qualities that some of the characters show are beyond their age which is why I feel some what cheated in not getting a mature ending. In real life Hermione would have been attracted to Harry (he's extremely brave, loyal, has a good heart and truly loves his best friends) and they worked so close together that some physical attraction would've developed over time. I don't think he was that close to her to see her as a sister, he was closer to ron and saw him as a brother. I just don't see how this dynamic would have worked in real life, I guess JK did want a happy ending and didn't want to leave ron and ginny out. But i don't see ginny and harry working out, I think JK should've have just gone with what she felt and not tried to make a happy ending, from book 6 we are being fed about the adult ginny and I didn't find her or the parts about her interesting, seems like only in book 6 did JK solidify that she wants harry and ginny to end up together. Just my thoughts, anybody else agrees or disagrees?

message 45: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Hurley | 4 comments Ashby wrote: "I can understand Ron and Hermione. I thought Harry and Ginny was kinda weird. But, I always thought that Luna and Neville should have gotten married....."

I honestly thought that neville and ginny would end up together. Neville is awesome and needed more credit in the series

message 46: by Maura (new)

Maura (mavington) | 5 comments I can see why J.K. Rowling put them all together, and I think, under the circumstances, the fact that they all married their sixteen-year-old crushes was OK. They have been through so much together that it seems as though they've experienced much more than a brief relationship in their teens.

As for the actual pairings, I'm going to zip my lips on that one, because I can never decide. ~zips lips~

☆♪Taylor♪☆ (taybrookeg) | 151 comments i thought it was very realistic. i loved it. especially that harry any ginny named all their kids after important peole in the series (James Sirius, Lily Luna, Albus Severus)

message 48: by Ana (last edited May 15, 2011 07:21PM) (new)

Ana (ana_roma) I liked the Epilogue. My only question: Ginny was a pretty strong character, right? I mean, she fought for what she wanted, she was pretty tough, etc. And she let Harry name all of their kids? I don't believe it.

message 49: by Cutter100 (new)

Cutter100 | 17 comments For the most part. In case of Ginny and Harry, I just can't believe that they got on so well for so long. But then she (J.K) does make it feel as if Harry's not completely healed from what happened, as if there's still something there he'll never quite get over.In terms of everyone else, it felt very right, and I did love the epilogue, even though I've heard a lot of people say it was cheesy. I just wish it was longer!

message 50: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (wildbooks) i actually dont think it was that unrealistic because they had been together like their whole life. hermione and ron had always had that love for eachother so it made sense that they got married. harry and ginny was a little less realistic but still made sense. they had also grown up together in a way because they had seen eachother so much through childhood

« previous 1