Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Tributes to Our Fathers

Comments (showing 1-26 of 26) (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2755 comments Mod
It's time for Father's Day and I thought we might like to write some tributes to our dads. I know we don't all have perfect fathers, but usually there is at least something we remember about them over the years that we'd like to share. So feel free --

message 2: by JanetTronstad (new)

I'll go first. My father was certainly less than perfect and it has taken many years to work through some of my feelings for him. But as he has become an old man I am keenly struck by his faith (not that he has been very good in living a Christian life), but he is now 85 and dealing with a diminishing short term memory (to the point that if he's someplace and wants to use the restroom he won't remember where he is when he comes out). A few years ago (when we were figuring this out) we had some panicked 'where's dad?' moments -- the worst being when I took my parents to a Gaither concert in LA. There were tens of thousands of people in the huge place and he wanted to leave our seats and go to the restroom. I offered to go with him, which offended him, so I thought surely he'll see where to come back (the restroom was right outside our section of seats). Of course, he turned the wrong way when he came out and wandered to another area. My mom and I were in a panic, but all I knew to do was to wait until the concert was over and people left. Sure enough, when the place emptied out, we found my dad sitting in a seat far away from where we were originally. He was easy to spot and I rushed over to him, worried he would have been frightened. Not so. He said he knew God would take care of him (and that I would find him eventually). The phrase 'God will take care of me' is one he has used alot with his declining memory and I can see God doing just that. My father's faith has grown as everything else in his life is diminishing and it touches me.

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen L. Maher | 3 comments I guest blogged about this very topic. This is for those like me who did not have a good earthly father, but who found a loving Abba in Father God.
http://faith-fiction-friends.blogspot...

message 4: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 8 comments My Dad was a prisoner in the second world war, taken prisoner by the Japanese just after being accepted to fly in, rather than just repair airplanes. He rarely talked about his experiences, but I remember one lunchtime when he suddenly told us what a blessing it was that he'd been captured. We asked why, and he told us the life expectancy of aircrew was so low, he couldn't have survived to father us if he'd got his wish. Dad made me realize the truth of the truism that God words in mysterious ways.

message 5: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Bylin (VictoriaBylin) | 198 comments My dad listened.
My dad encouraged.
My dad loved me.
My dad knew me.

My first book is dedicated to him, but that's just a small way to say thanks for the wisdom and love and support he gave to me. My brother feels the same way. We're convinced we had the best parents in the world.

My dad passed away in 1997, but his memory lives in all of us, including his two grandsons. My oldest dedicated his masters thesis to his grandfather. I'm proud of that :)

message 6: by Merrillee (new)

Merrillee Whren (MerrilleeWhren) | 1 comments I lost my dad too early. I was only 24 when he died from a heart attack. He was a friend to everyone, especially to his wife and kids. My brothers and I have lots of fond memories of the man we called "Pops."

message 7: by Ausjenny (last edited Jun 19, 2010 07:39PM) (new)

Ausjenny | 4555 comments Sheila wrote: "My Dad was a prisoner in the second world war, taken prisoner by the Japanese just after being accepted to fly in, rather than just repair airplanes. He rarely talked about his experiences, but I r..."

Wow Sheila what a wonderful statement from your dad.
My uncle was a prisoner and it was pretty hard for him and then for his family after as he had so many issues from being captured. He was not a christian.

message 8: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4555 comments Dad died when I was 11 and had had a massive stroke that changed his personality when I was 8. I have good memories of him like the shadow box he made me. Also the times I got to ride on the tractor with him. We did have a good relationship but its hard when you lose a father so early.
I remember him singing 2 songs in the care. "Man of Sorrows" and the song "One Day"
our fathers day isn't till September

message 9: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 4 comments What wonderful stories!
The older I get, the more I appreciate my dad. I grew up on a farm working side by side with my dad. He disciplined me. He taught me to work hard. We fished together, cut hay together, and we prayed together.He taught me to trust God in hard times.

We had a few rough years after my mom's death. I was fourteen and he didn't know how to be a mom and a dad. I rebelled. He struggled. And then we both grew up and realized how much we loved each other.

Today he's in the nursing home suffering from dementia/alzheimers. He can't always remember my name, but he always remembers to call me 'brat.' We still laugh and have fun.

There are so many things he doesn't remember, but he remembers faith. My husband and I have a bi-monthly church service at the nursing home. My dad forgets more than he remembers, but he knows every word of Amazing Grace.

My dad gave me memories that I will always cherish.

message 10: by Heidi (last edited Jun 19, 2010 10:28PM) (new)

Heidi | 985 comments My Dad and I used to go to the park and go to our "house". The house was a large, and overgrown bush, that covered a large hole. On either side of the hole were small ledges. We pretended this was our home, and that each ledge was one of our bedrooms. It was so much fun! Dad died almost eight years ago now, and I miss him very much. I wish he could come visit and enjoy the real home I have made with my husband, who is a wonderful father, and our beautiful child. God had other plans for him though. It was such a blessing though to find out from his pastor that only months before he passed away, he was born again. Praise the Lord! Our family will get to see him again one day :)

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Jennafraugh) | 4102 comments I love all these stories!
My Dad is rather awesome in my opinion. Always a softy, but at the same time loving and firm with us. He always taught us to do our best and nothing less. He has been an encourager, a disciplinarian, and one who I knew I could tell my hopes and dreams to and not be laughed at. He always has a way that makes you stop and think about certain things and look at situations in a different way that what you are viewing him. And, most importantly he is a man of God. He knows his bible almost as well as some great preachers know theirs. He amazes me with his knowledge and wisdom. And, i always love going fishing with him, or driving his golf cart while he tries to play golf. Dad knows I will be the one to go see the fun, guy movies or watch the old westerns with him. My dad is a great picture of my Abba Father in heaven.

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (httpgoodreadscomrealityshowgirl) | 24 comments My dad and I had a pretty good relationship my entire life and still is to this day. The teen years were probably the hardest for us, especially when it came to homework.

I love my dad so much.

message 13: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (LynCote) | 1523 comments Mod
My dad lost an arm and a lung in WWII and the war wounded him for life.

We were estranged from the time I was 11. He left us.

We did get back in touch about the last six months of his life. I'm always grateful that God answered my prayers that there would be a reconciliation before he died.
I just put away the past--with God's help. I know my dad would have been a better father if he'd had one himself. And I never went through all he did. That puts it into perspective, don't you think?

message 14: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Hansen (goodreadscomValerie_Hansen) | 111 comments I find it interesting that Janet started this topic at this particular time. I know it's Father's Day but for me there's a lot more. My father was born and raised in Norway, immigrated to the US as a young man and became the most patriotic person I have ever known. It wasn't until I was grown that I understood the tears in his eyes when he saluted our flag. He worked hard to banish his Norwegian accent and I was probably ten years old before I knew he wasn't born in Ohio! He has been gone a long time and although he didn't tell me a lot about the country of his birth, I have always wanted to see it. WE ARE ABOUT TO GO! Our wedding anniversary is coming up in July and we found a tour that leaves in a few days. I never thought I'd actually see Norway for myself. It feels a lot like a pilgrimage.

And while we're still on the subject, my dad came to the Lord about 6 mo. before he died. I was a brand new Christian and went to tell my folks about it. Mama didn't understand but Daddy did. And shortly after that he accepted Christ - and told me so.

My mother, always proud and stiffly religious, was eventually reduced to childlike faith by dementia and I can't help thinking that it was God's gift to her.

I'll be on my computer for a few more days, then gone, so if you wonder why I'm so silent, just picture me tracing my roots.

Blessings,
Val

message 15: by Judy (new)

Judy How awesome Val! Enjoy your anniversary and your trip.

My husband is an awesome dad to our boys and I give my tribute to him. I was great when our sons were babies and when they hit about 2 and my patience got thinner, Jerry stepped in and did great with them.

Our older son is away from the Lord at this time but he still highly respects his dad. Because of the Proteus Syndrome and a hard to live with wife :-) my Jerry has become a strong man of God. As to his disabilities he would say "why not me?" and he truly believes that it is a gift as it has made him so strong in the Lord. And as the leader of our home, a wife could not ask for more then a strong husband.

message 16: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Hansen (goodreadscomValerie_Hansen) | 111 comments Amen, Judy. And you sound like a Proverbs 31 wife.

Blessings,
Val

message 17: by Judy (new)

Judy I sure feel far from that quite often. Although it is a goat to heads towards.

I was thinking today about all the Love Inspired stories where one of the people has turned away from the Lord and returns. Our son knows the Lord and one day I hope to see the real life return of his life to Christ as well.

So another encouragement to me from all you dedicated authors :-)

message 18: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 53 comments My dad has been gone 20 years now. He was diagnosed with cancer of the esophagus on Friday (Oct) 13th. I remember him saying he'd never again go to a dr. on a Friday the 13th! Anyway, it seems as the years go by, I miss him more and more. When he was a child he developed osteomyelitis. He was in St. Elizabeth's hospital (a Catholic hospital) in Lincoln, and he had never been baptized, and they were afraid he would die, so his sister got a Congregational minister to come in and baptize him. Anyway, he didn't die !!! but in order to get rid of the disease, they had to scrape his leg bone, and consequently, because of the osteo, he had one leg shorter than the other. I remember one time I had a friend over, and she saw my dad walking (she didn't know who he was at that time) and said "Look at how that man walks" I just simply said - "That's my Dad" That was just him - I didn't care that he walked differently than other people. He could have worn a shoe with a sole that was built up so he would walk more normal, but he chose not too. Had tried it and didn't like it.

I could count on him for anything. (Of course I thought he was a great guy, and to this day, people tell me what a good guy he was!) I remember that when I was a little girl (maybe 4 or 5??) there was a wrestling match held in Red Cloud (remember wrestling???) Anyway, I was sitting in front of my Dad, and Mad Dog Vachone was in the ring with someone, I don't remember who. Someone from the crowd yelled at Mad Dog and he jumped out of the ring and just glared in MY DIRECTION. I just KNEW he was coming after ME. I jumped up in my dad's lap so fast ...

I know he found the Lord before he died. And I believe that he looks down on me and smiles at who I've become. Love ya Dad!

message 19: by Debbie (last edited Jun 20, 2010 01:40PM) (new)

Debbie | 53 comments I am enjoying reading about all your dads! And Brenda, I had to laugh about your dad not remembering your name but yet calls you brat!

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Eberly (KathyEberly) | 138 comments Lyn, thanks so much for sharing your story about your father. My father married my mother when I was three years old and he adopted me. When I hit my teenage years it seemed that my father and I never could see eye to eye. Our relationship has had many ups and downs through the years. Both of us have made our share of mistakes through the years and I think that I feel as you do, Lyn. I needed to put away the past and move on. I could hold a grudge because things weren't handled properly, yet I have learned that this is not healthy for me to keep harboring bitterness. I am thankful that my father provided for me when my biological father didn't and that he tried his best to parent with the skills he did have. I am also glad that he and I know have a better relationship than we ever had while I was growing up.

message 21: by JanetTronstad (new)

All of these stories are so great! It's inspiring to read them.

And, Valerie, when you get back from your trip you need to come here and tell us all about it! Sounds wonderful.

message 22: by Victoria (last edited Jun 21, 2010 10:36AM) (new)

Victoria Bylin (VictoriaBylin) | 198 comments Val, Have a wonderful time!!!! What a perfect way to celebrate an anniversary.

message 23: by Lyn (new)

Kathy wrote: "Lyn, thanks so much for sharing your story about your father. My father married my mother when I was three years old and he adopted me. When I hit my teenage years it seemed that my father and I ne..."
Yes, Kathy, effort does count. And bitterness only makes you sick. Let the one of us who is without imperfection cast the 1st stone.

message 24: by Lyn (new)

Val, have a great time in Norway. Please come back with photos for us! Right, gals?

message 25: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Daley (MargaretDaley) | 202 comments My father died when I was 12 but my memories have always been fond ones, full of love. I was lucky to have a wonderful stepfather who my son thought was the best grandpa.

message 26: by Lyn (new)

My stepfather was my kids favorite grandfather too! He adored my kids.

unread topics | mark unread