The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Hi :)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joycer (new)

Joycer | 23 comments Hi, my name is Joyce. I am 21 years old from up north in Canada. Discovering good reads is actually a godsend. I don't really have that many people to share my love of books with so I'm actually really excited to finally join a group and have that in common. Keep in mind when I fall in love with a book, I absolutely have to have it on my shelf, to the point where I have to smuggle it past the prying eyes of my boyfriend.

So with that in mind, maybe share one or 2 things about yourselves? What would you recommend as a must read before I die sort of book? :)

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10109 comments Mod
Hi Joycer. Nice to meet you. And welcome to the group!!

I adore Jose Saramago (RIP) and would recommended you read some of his books. You will never experience anything like them...

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol Welcome to the corner bookstore Joycer. Your shelves will fill up so fast and Ikea will love you as you will need to buy more shelving.

I just finishedMoloka'i and have started on Wolf Hall. These are both historical novels.

message 4: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) Welcome Joyce! You know, it would be a lot easier to sneak those books past your boyfriend if you got an e-reader ;) Nothing beats having the physical thing you can hold and embrace and stare at adoringly when you absolutely love it though.

The only book I can think of that I would call a must read before you die is Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. But if I had it my way, I'd read every book there is before I die so that makes it kind of hard to choose.

message 5: by Betsy (last edited Jun 19, 2010 09:59PM) (new)

Betsy (mistymtladi) | 511 comments Hi,
Why is it that men don't read or act in plays? Or that's been my experience in the small rural towns I've lived in.
Lately, I've been pushing The Help. For a more academic read I push some of Gladwells' Blink ect.
Another interesting one is simply titled Salt.

message 6: by Joycer (new)

Joycer | 23 comments Thank you guys so much for making me feel welcome !!! I'm keeping all of your suggestions in mind and I just can't wait till July starts so I can actually follow along with the monthly reads :)

message 7: by Eden (new)

Eden (tsalagi_writer) | 210 comments Hi Joyce. Welcome to the group :)

message 8: by Alex (new)

Alex I didn't love Salt as much as I wanted to. If we're talking about the same book.

I recently re-read Frankenstein and was reminded that that's an awfully good book.

Betsy, I'm going to re-read all Shakespeare's histories in the next month or so...some of us men do read plays!

message 9: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (mistymtladi) | 511 comments Hi Alex,
Probably we are talking about the same book. Salt is an unusual title. I'm more of a fiction and mystery reader so for me to branch out to what might be considered a more intellectual level is a plus. Have you ever read any of Mary Roach's books. They're very funny and appear very well researched. (Stiff/Spook)
Hurray!!! A guy who reads plays. I live in a small rural town where even excessive reading might cause the other guys in the neighborhood to question your masculinity...By the time some of them reach 50 and join our community theatre. they are willing to admit they read. I'm being slightly sarcastic but... PS. They still hate wearing make-up.

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex I read a lot of nonfiction...Salt's a cool idea, but it started feeling sorta repetitious for me after a while. "You know who else liked salt? German dudes. You know who else liked salt? French dudes."

I've read Stiff, which I thought was a ton of fun; my wife told me Spook wasn't as good so I never got around to it.

And I live in Boston, where no one is in any way masculine, so I don't have to worry about it. :)

message 11: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (mistymtladi) | 511 comments Hi Alex,
Got to move to Boston... Not really... I like my small town.
I liked Salt because I had never realized how the whole economy of the world at that time was based on salt.But I can see your point about the next guys and the next...
Spook was right up my alley because I have a fascination with the possibility of the supernatural.Was that the basis of your wife's like or dislike?
Gladwell is another guy I find fascinating.But again that's because I'd never considered the topics he discussed.

message 12: by Alex (new)

Alex It did make me want to go to those salt castle things in Poland or wherever they are.

Good question. We're both atheists and it's possible that her unbelief made it harder for her to get into the book.

I still haven't read any Gladwell. I really oughtta get to him.

What state are you in?

message 13: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (mistymtladi) | 511 comments I live in Wva. The town I live in is a tourist town,and gets alot of visitors/transplants from DC and other places. Usually the guys in the community theatre are transplants like me or one of the artists. So there is a wide range of stereotypical groups here which I enjoy.During the AppleButter Festival they had a parade featuring the "Best" We chose the people and were going have the religious right,the mountain Mama,the earth cookie,and the artist. It poured down rain and the parade was cancelled in the first time in 40 years Maybe that's just as well. Polarization is not a cool thing.
Do try Gladwell. I especially enjoyed learning about the Broken Window Theory

message 14: by Alex (new)

Alex That is interesting! I googled it; for anyone who's unfamiliar, here's an article about it that focuses on computer coding (my job), of all things, but also excerpts the original 1962 article about it. Particularly relevant to me; I live in a neighborhood right on the edge, and our neighborhood association really focuses on exactly this kind of issue. We planted the tree pit on the sidewalk outside our house because we believe that those details matter very much.

Never been to W. Va, but heard it's beautiful. Love the parade idea. Bummer the weather didn't cooperate.

message 15: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (mistymtladi) | 511 comments I Love this state.It is quite magical and beautiful in appearance. The history is unique and more tragic than seems fair sometimes. If you want a guide book pick up one by our town astrologer and Star movie theatre owner, Jeanne Mozier called "Wild and Weird WVa"

message 16: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (bexsi) Hi my name is Rebecca im 25 and from the UK. I joind goodreads about a week ago and im loving it.

message 17: by Carol (new)

Carol Hi Rebecca, so glad you found goodreads. Explore , join in and have fun.

message 18: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (mistymtladi) | 511 comments Hi Rebecca,
Welcome to GoodReads.

message 19: by Joycer (new)

Joycer | 23 comments Welcome to GoodReads Rebecca :)